Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Kaare Andrews On CB Cebulski And The Speed Of Production

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pace View Post
    I know enough to say I often like simpler quality work than busied quality work, but I'm not at all confident anyone could argue Cooke or Sale or Baltazar consistently outsell Lee, Hitch, or Finch.

~R
    Aw yeah, shout out.

Sorry, but if Trip M isn't going to pop in with a non-sequitar to break up the tension, I will.

Especially when it comes with props for a friend.
    "If you find 'I think you're wrong' offensive, there's not much I can tell you. Except that you are, in fact, wrong."
    Reminder: There are roughly 313,000,000 people in the United States. There are roughly 2,000 Direct Market Comic Shops in the United States. That means there is 1 comic shop for every 156,500 people in America.
    Free Entertainment: JoePanc l Anything Can Happen Wednesday l Adult Supervision Advised l The Canny Cthulhu Holmes l 24
    Paid Entertainment: Though My Chains Be Forged

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RKB View Post
    According to Steve Ditko he would throw his comp copies of Journey into Mystery Kirby drew and Colletta inked in the trash, where Stan Lee could see him do it, because Colletta was a hack who loved taking out all the details Kirby had in his 'breakdowns' just to finish a page. Colletta was a fast hack, if he would have took his time, it wouldn't have shown how much he 'cared' it would have just made him a slow hack.
    Being slow doesn't necessarily mean you put any more blood,sweat,tears into a page, it just means your slow. Being fast doesn't in and of itself make you a hack, it just makes you fast. Kirby and Ditko weren't the only artists in the way-back-when who could get jobs done on time. Maybe not having video games around as a distraction helped them pick up the pace.
    If your too slow (for whatever reason) to do a monthly book so be it, but then don't sign on to draw a monthly book. Someone at Marvel (maybe Cebulski or someone else) in response to a question of why don't you give your artists more lead time said that if they did in the backs of there minds they know when the book is really drop dead date due, so they would just procrastinate and drag it out to the last minute.
    I don't know how much of a percentage 'detail' is as a reason for missed deadlines but I tend to think the two biggest if not only reasons for late books is artists taking on more work than they know they can handle, and the time honored 'fucking off'.
    I agree with you on this a lot. Something they had back then that they don't seem to have as much these days is "work ethic".

Quote Originally Posted by RKB View Post
    According to Steve Ditko he would throw his comp copies of Journey into Mystery Kirby drew and Colletta inked in the trash, where Stan Lee could see him do it, because Colletta was a hack who loved taking out all the details Kirby had in his 'breakdowns' just to finish a page. Colletta was a fast hack, if he would have took his time, it wouldn't have shown how much he 'cared' it would have just made him a slow hack.
    Being slow doesn't necessarily mean you put any more blood,sweat,tears into a page, it just means your slow. Being fast doesn't in and of itself make you a hack, it just makes you fast. Kirby and Ditko weren't the only artists in the way-back-when who could get jobs done on time. Maybe not having video games around as a distraction helped them pick up the pace.
    If your too slow (for whatever reason) to do a monthly book so be it, but then don't sign on to draw a monthly book. Someone at Marvel (maybe Cebulski or someone else) in response to a question of why don't you give your artists more lead time said that if they did in the backs of there minds they know when the book is really drop dead date due, so they would just procrastinate and drag it out to the last minute.
    I don't know how much of a percentage 'detail' is as a reason for missed deadlines but I tend to think the two biggest if not only reasons for late books is artists taking on more work than they know they can handle, and the time honored 'fucking off'.
    Your post, which I'm guessing was written quite quickly, isn't ... well, it's not as polished as it might be, is it?
    Last edited by Ian Coke; 03-31-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    Your post, which I'm guessing was written quite quickly, isn't ... well, it's not as polished as it might be, is it?
    ...Perhaps. But if that's the case, did you *really* have to quote his entire post?

Please, Ian. In the future, *trim* your quotes accordingly.
    -------

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122