Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helping Raise Money For Gary Friedrich

Administrator

Default Helping Raise Money For Gary Friedrich

A number of people were both shocked and surprised at the latest twist in the Gary Friedrich/Ghost Rider lawsuit over the ownership and exploitation of Ghost Rider. That Marvel Comics are demanding $17,000 from Gary for selling signed prints of Ghost Rider, a character he co-created, and a credit Marvel are stating he can no longer appear under.

Steve Niles has set up a page to take donations to help Gary out, including a Paypal button.

UPDATE: Donations have now ceased. Thank you all!

And on Facebook, Gary had written;

A NOTE TO MY FANS AND SUPPORTERS:

Since the various news agencies and websites have reported the ruling against me on my claims against Marvel in the Ghost Rider lawsuit, and the assesment of a $17,000 judgment against me and my company instead, I have read an amazing amount of comments in my support on the internet, and have received many messages of support directly. Although the reports of my employment situation and financial difficulties as well as problems with my health are unfortunately true, I want to let everyone in the comic book world, especially my supporters and fans of the Ghost Rider character which I invented, created, and wrote, that I am going to appeal the Court's ruling and continue to fight this as long as I am able and that your support of me means more than you will ever know. I have heard your voices. I thank you with alll my heart, and I appreciate your thoughts and best wishes as I soldier on.

Feel free to keep in touch with me via e-mail:fgroovygary@aol.com.

Thanks again and God bless you.

Nat Gertler of About Comics also has an idea considering Marvel's recent actions...

Nat's idea is good, but no one at Marvel or DC would ever agree to it, not with the corporate overlords over them.
    Writer of Lightweight. Find out more at Super Powered Fiction and Metahuman Press.

Can Gary now bill himself as "Co-Creator of a certain motorcycle riding, leather wearing flaming skeleton" since he cannot publicly bill himself as Ghost Rider's official co-creator anymore?

Consultant of Cool

I feel for Friedrich, Kirby and the Siegal family, et al., who came up with concepts and characters that companies got rich off of, but got little or nothing. But how is Freidrich selling his own prints of a copyrighted character any different than if I worked for a software company, came up with some great code while working for the company and then sold that code on the side?
    Last edited by jcb10; 02-10-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Typo corrected

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jcb10 View Post
    I feel for Friedrich, Kirby and the Siegal family, et al., who came up with concepts and characters that companies got rich off of. But how is Freidrich selling his own prints of a copyrighted character and different than if I worked for a software company, came up with some great code while working for the company and then sold that code on the side?
    Really, it's more like you came up with the whole package of the software (code, name, logo) and you're making money by selling your rendition of the logo on the side. He's not selling stories, which is more the code level comparison.

Man, fuck Marvel and Disney! Why don't they do the right thing and pay the creator of the character something after they've made millions and millions of dollars off his creation. These people need to be put in their place. Unfortunately the only thing those bastards understand is one of their heads on a pike in the town square. Greedy pieces of shit.
    Check out my band if you get a chance

Loud, fast, aggressive Rock N Roll

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadenders

Exceedingly Cool

Normally, I would donate to something like this silently. However, this needs as many voices behind it as possible. Between this and Watchmen recently, it has seemed that comics consumers have become more anti-creator than I could possibly have imagined.

Here is the challenge. One, dont see Ghost Rider. Two, donate the amount of money equal to what you would have spent in the theater. Two tickets and a popcorn would be about $25 as an example.

Do it. Disney doesn't always get to win, and they sure as fuck shouldn't be applauded because a 40 year old contract didn't foresee film rights, digital distribution, and high end reprints for the collector's market. Whe he sold his scripts, the expectation was a single printing of a .20 comic in the neighborhood of 100,000 copies at best with a page rate equal to about two hours of work as a retail manager today. It's unethical, legally questionable, and reflects an unhealthy desire to see corporations crush the little guy.

Don't be cheap, throw him. A couple of bucks.

Dean of Cool University CammyKnoxville's Avatar

Whether he was right or wrong in the lawsuit doesn't matter to me; what matters is the $17,000 debt that would ruin him if I don't at least donate something. So donate something I did.

Also, I was never going to see the second Ghost Rider movie. Hell, I haven't seen the first all the way through!

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Keefer View Post
    Man, fuck Marvel and Disney! Why don't they do the right thing and pay the creator of the character something after they've made millions and millions of dollars off his creation. These people need to be put in their place. Unfortunately the only thing those bastards understand is one of their heads on a pike in the town square. Greedy pieces of shit.
    You should probably consider seeing someone about those violence fantasies.

Zen Master of Cool

I want to help by donating... But I'm hesitant because he's going to fight the ruling and continue fighting this for as long as he can. I mean what if he keeps going at it and the punishment is worse?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast