Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: An Appeal To Nicolas Cage On Behalf Of Gary Friedrich

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default An Appeal To Nicolas Cage On Behalf Of Gary Friedrich

As we reported yesterday, Ghost Rider creator Gary Friedrich is facing demands of $17,000 from Marvel, who claim that his selling of Ghost Rider prints at comic book conventions was unlawful. The demands arose after Friedrich tried to make royalty claims on the use of the characters he created in the Ghost Rider films. Not only does Marvel's counterclaim mean that Friedrich is obliged to pay them the money, it will also prevent him from being able to say in future that he is the creator of Ghost Rider.

To make matters worse, Freidrich is now a senior citizen and has almost no money, let alone anywhere near enough to pay off Marvel. A Bleeding Cool reader has written an open letter to Nicolas Cage, star of the Ghost Rider movies, and has asked us to publish it on her behalf.
    Dear Nicolas Cage,

I have read that you are very dedicated to making Ghost Rider II a success, so much so that you have taken a hefty pay cut in order to get this film made. Unfortunately Marvel Enterprises has won a settlement of $17,000 from artist Gary Friedrich (I am sure you know Mr. Friedrich is one of the creators of the Ghost Rider character).

Marvel winning a lawsuit against a financially destitute and unemployed senior citizen who helped create the iconic character that is the subject of the movie you care so deeply about has created a distinct antipathy toward your project.The negative effect Marvel's lawsuit has caused is perhaps far greater than you know. Facebook and Twitter are aflame with negative comments, petitions and people urging others not to see your film solely because of Marvel's treatment of Mr. Friedrich. You stand to lose millions because of the public relations disaster Marvel has caused.

Mr. Cage I know how you can personally overcome this PR nightmare, save your movie and make yourself a true hero in the eyes of the comics and movie-going public. Do you want that and more positive publicity than you have ever had? All it would take for you to be a true hero to millions of people is $17,000. That's less than the price of a car. Give $17,000 to Mr. Friedrich so that he can pay Marvel. Save your movie by saving Mr. Friedrich. My best regards to you Mr. Cage. I hope to see you at the movies.

Sincerely,

Karalyn Johnson
    It's certainly true that Marvel's actions have garnered a lot of bad press on social media, but since the rage is directed at the studio rather than Cage himself, would this gesture make a difference?

...Two points:

1) Cage won't do jack shit here. He probably hasn't even heard of Gary, much less Gary's involvement in the creation of Ghost Rider.

2) That being said, Marvel/Disney will vindictively go after Gary, but they'll turn a blind eye to the likes of Rob Granito. Someone needs to take a tire iron *and* a crowbar to the skulls of the ambulance chasers who delivered Gary the C&D and "you owe us" papers. If people would just start explaining to these shysters that upholding bullshit law is more painful than doing the right thing and putting ethics above raping some poor guy out of his few remaining bucks, there'd be far and far less instances like this happening.
    -------

What the hell should Nicolas Cage care? Exactly what do you think he has the power to do anyway?

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    What the hell should Nicolas Cage care? Exactly what do you think he has the power to do anyway?
    There is such thing as human decency, you know. Corporate lawyers don't have it, but it's a Cage might. I hope this letter reaches to him.

Exceedingly Cool

Cage is broke. The reason he takes anything offered to him is to keep his head above water financially. He's in massive, massive debt after decades of spending with total abandon. So not only does he likely not care, even if he did he's in no position to be helping other people out, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by themightylayman View Post
    There is such thing as human decency, you know. Corporate lawyers don't have it, but it's a Cage might. I hope this letter reaches to him.
    And what is he going to do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Cage is broke. The reason he takes anything offered to him is to keep his head above water financially. He's in massive, massive debt after decades of spending with total abandon. So not only does he likely not care, even if he did he's in no position to be helping other people out, anyway.
    I was going to add something like this. He has had a massive uptick of lousy movies lately, I don't think he's said no to a job in a few years.

Exceedingly Cool

Cage is very much a comic book fan and will know who Gary is. Least he can do is put some pressure on Marvel to back off or get Sony to pay it. No love lost between Marvel and Sony so they'd love to rub Marvels nose in it.

Zen Master of Cool

I doubt Sony will give him money seeing as how Friedrich sued them over Ghost Rider

Wrote the Book on Cool

First, while Nicolas Cage is a HUGE comics fan.. and probably knows who Gary Friedrich is, he signed on to play the character in a movie, he has absolutely NO OBLIGATION at all, legally or morally, to give $17,000 to Friedrich at all to pay his debts. He's an outsider to this whole thing.. and just because he has (some) money, it doesn't mean that he should feel obligated to give Gary even a dollar.

As for Gary being bullied by Marvel, Gary's been involved with Marvel over Ghost Rider "issues" for years, he had to know that selling Ghost Rider prints would get him into trouble, it's not like he was selling sketches. And for anyone doing comics in the 1970's or after, to not know that stuff you were doing for a company was "work for hire" and property of the company after knowing what happened to Siegel & Schuster (amongst others) is akin to people that started smoking 20 years ago when everybody knew it could kill you, and then get surprised now when they start getting sick because of it.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **********************

Visit iNetVideo.com, the best and cheapest place to buy movies and games EVER!

Visit the iNetVideo BLOG today for Entertainment news & gossip, prizes & contests and MORE!

Expecting Cage to pay the bill, if Marvel even attempts to enforce and collect that debt, is asking a lot.
    The Comics Ticker- my new comics blog

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/mattspatola/venger-web-sig22222.jpg

Follow me on: Twitter l Facebook l Email me l The Venger Blog

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast