Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrelling Out Details On Watchmen 2

Blog Editing Robot BC Blog Editor's Avatar

Default Squirrelling Out Details On Watchmen 2

Sometimes all you do is have to mention its name, and lots of bits spill out.

Two days ago, Bleeding Cool mentioned that Watchmen prequels at DC were back on the agenda, after the success of the New 52. That meetings were happening this week. That it had the code name "Panic Room". That names mentioned included Dave Gibbons, John Higgins, Darwyn Cooke, JMS, JG Jones, Andy Kubert and more.

Indeed I am now told that there will be four Watchmen miniseries, all prequels. Working off an over-arching uber-plot by Darwyn, who will be writing and drawing on aa book or two.

I believe the phrase I'm looking for is "this shit just got real". Sorry, I was in America for a few days, that kind of language rubs off on me. Let me try again. "Pip pip, that's some bally cricket, what?" Better.

However a word of warning. There have been three names mentioned to me, Amanda Conner, Kevin Smith and Adam Hughes which have all proved to be false. It may indicate that the names were more of a wish list, people who would be approached rather than who actually signed on the dotted line.

But MTV Geek found a comment from Darwyn Cooke from earlier in the year when he said;
    "I have something coming up with DC, but I'm sworn to secrecy...there is a very big project on the horizon with DC, which we're probably going to announce in October, as far as I understand. And that should be exciting, and infuriating, and all kinds of things to people. It should be quite a shock when they hear what we're doing."
    And Little Bleeder chatting to Andy Kubert over the weekend discovered that;
    "Mr.Kubert said that after his Action Comics job he was hoping to finish a Batman mini-series about Damian. This was a mini that he was writing and drawing and was originally planned before Flashpoint and the New 52. ?*After that he said he has another project but it's "Super Secret" and that he couldn't give any details. ?*The last time I spoke to Andy Kubert was at the Big Apple Con in 2009. ?*When we spoke he said he was going to be doing a "Super Secret" project that he couldn't talk about, turned out it was "Flashpoint". ?*So if Andy Kubert has a big job coming up and DC is saying that they're doing an event for the next two years, then what is Kubert doing?"
    What, indeed. DC declined to comment.

Seattle (as immortalized by Public Image Limited)

Even the great Darwyn Cooke couldn't get me to read a Watchmen prequel. I honestly think the negative press, outrage and etc. would outweigh the potential sales. I guess we'll see. If they're so hell bent on doing Watchmen prequels/sequels, just have Gibbons write and draw them. I'd imagine that'd be about the only thing that would be palatable enough to people...

Well Darwyn Cooke is awesome, so I can't see why this shouldn't be.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Convoy View Post
    Even the great Darwyn Cooke couldn't get me to read a Watchmen prequel. I honestly think the negative press, outrage and etc. would outweigh the potential sales.
    This is comics, though. So most people who complain about it will end up buying it anyway. If only so they can come on the internet and complain about it. I've personally no interest as I feel like I learned everything I needed to about the characters and the world through those 12 issues.

Banned

Darwyn Cooke is indeed great, but I don't know if Watchmen is a good fit for his style. Silk Spectre maybe, but even then ... Only time will tell, I suppose.

Thank Christ Kevin Smith isn't going to be involved though.

Any chance of a WatchMensch2 in preparation Rich? It could be about a Sarah Palinesque British politician who goes on Social Media and Panel comedy shows (and parliamentary committees) to make badly thought out statements on topics they haven't completely grasped to the amusement of everyone listening.
    stress- noun \ˈstres\

The anxiety caused when a person's mind over-rides the body's natural urge to choke the living shit out of some arsehole who deserves it.

Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Chris View Post
    I've personally no interest as I feel like I learned everything I needed to about the characters and the world through those 12 issues.
    Well, that's what the Jews said about the New Testament, and you see how that turned out...

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Convoy View Post
    I honestly think the negative press, outrage and etc. would outweigh the potential sales.
    You mean exactly like it did the New 52, right?

I got no problem with prequels, just wish that Moore & Gibbons would have done them. There was some really great 'history' stuff they did for the old DC game Watchmen supplement. Cooke is at least a name worthy of the project.
    If you'd like to see my store, a faux movie trailer was shot there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E23B...eature=related

PROUD WINNER OF THE 2012 and 2014 Best of Cincinnati Comic Shop Award from Citybeat Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    Well, that's what the Jews said about the New Testament, and you see how that turned out...
    So if I understand what you are saying here.... Mel Gibson is penciled in to direct the Watchmen 2 film?
    if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Tumblr | Fractal Friction | Google+

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast