Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Behind The Scenes On Starfire And Red Hood And The Outlaws #1

Blog Editing Robot BC Blog Editor's Avatar

Default Behind The Scenes On Starfire And Red Hood And The Outlaws #1

The day before Red Hood And The Outlaws #1 went to press, I understand there was a meeting at DC Comics, in which the Starfire issue came up. And someone involved has been in touch;
    "Yes, there were a lot of people there, it had become quite the conversation piece. There was a lot of discussion about Kory and her sexuality the day before this issue went to press."

"There were a handful of staff, mostly other women, who believed the writer was trying to equate being a strong woman with being, frankly, a slut. No one said that the writer was misogynistic, just that perhaps he was writing from a male perspective. It was firmly suggested to him that he could accentuate the character's past as a sex slave. And that this might be an explanation for her sexuality, that she was acting out in her new life."

"However, we were told he was adamant that Kory not be portrayed as a victim. The argument was made that if she was acting out sexually because of her past it mind that she mentally never left the prison planet."

"In the end a compromise was struck and the sentence "I am a woman" [originally placed at the top of the third panel above] was lost."
    There has been an awful lot of commentary on the issue, from Comics Alliance's blank stares to a thirty-one page Comic Book Resources thread in which continuity (above) is being used to argue precedent.

It might be worth recalling that New Teen Titans #1 back in the day caused considerable fan controversy for depicting Dick Grayson and Starfire in bed together. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Neither the writer of the comic, Scott Lobdell, nor the publisher DC Comics chose to comment on this story.

It would've been much, much, much worse had they used Starfire's enslavement as an explanation for her sexuality. Unfathomably worse.

Seriously, how would portraying her as damaged goods be preferable?

Neither the writer of the comic, Scott Lobdell, nor the publisher DC Comics chose to comment on this story.
    Which is usually the case when the parties feel that they mighthave fone too far or are flat out wrong. Then there are people like that hack Judd Winnich who give a politician non answer spin statement to the press.

There's a bit of a difference between Starfire and Dick Grayson having a long standing relationship leading up to that issue of NTT and Starfire indiscriminately sleeping around in this version of her.

Seems not only pandering but also damaging to her character.

so it's lobdell's way of telling "you can take the girl out of slavery..." thing, i never got the impression of trauma (well maybe her attitude toward giving herself). In that context it makes sense but it's poorly portrayed (to me), i'm just glad it was an overall alright issue.

with any luck the dick and kory courtship may comeback stronger (seeing as both have trouble with rape and all)
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin1345 View Post
    It would've been much, much, much worse had they used Starfire's enslavement as an explanation for her sexuality. Unfathomably worse.

Seriously, how would portraying her as damaged goods be preferable?
    Absolutely. That would have been a terrible way to go.

And .... um, girls are allowed to have sex. One night stands and all. It doesn't mean they're a slut. It means they like sex. That's fine.
    Any two adults should be able to have a conversation like the one she has above and then do what they want...if they both want to. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. At all.

VP in Charge of Cool

with any luck the dick and kory courtship may comeback stronger
    I doubt it, in the current version her history with Dick remains, as it does with much of the titans but they have made her more alien so she sees humans as basically interchangeable and forgettable. Roy asks her about Dick and her time with the titans but she's forgotten about it. So even if they meet again, she's likely to forget.

(I realise you've read it but others might not so that's why I used the spoiler code).
    Last edited by Charlesknight; 09-22-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesknight View Post
    I doubt it, in the current version her history with Dick remains, as it does with much of the titans but they have made her more alien so she sees humans as basically interchangeable and forgettable. Roy asks her about Dick and her time with the titans but she's forgotten about it

(I realise you've read it but others might not so that's why I used the spoiler code).
    The sexuality isn't the issue for me, but it's this fundamental change in the character that is the problem given that the NTT history, according to Lobdell, apparently is intact.

Way Cool

If DC is smart they will ignore message boards and go by sales. For good or bad that will be the true vote on this books quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesknight View Post
    yeah, i kept shtum with that detail because from what i remember Tim's TT was the first leaving a partly blank slate till later lobdell said otherwise.
    only after a second read did it perplex me. but i'm not much of a thinker
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast