Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Relaunch Sampler Comics In July ? The DC Retailer Roadshow In Chicago

Blog Editing Robot BC Blog Editor's Avatar

Default DC Relaunch Sampler Comics In July ? The DC Retailer Roadshow In Chicago

L E Becker, owner of WARP 9 Comics reports on the DC Retailer Roadshow, held yesterday in Rosemont, Chicago. He writes for Bleeding Cool;

I just came back from the DC Chicago road trip and wanted to share a few tidbits before I retire for the evening (a classy way of saying I'm going to sleep)...

Dan DiDio says that the reason that Action & Detective were restarted at #1 (even though the milestone 1000 issues were coming soon) is because if they were not restarted, then no one would take the relaunch seriously. Also, there are NO plans to re-number those 2 books when they DO reach their milestones (like marvel).

Many of the 'new' outfits shown are "not final" (which to me does not make much sense as we have seen these new uniforms on the new SDCC exclusive toon tumbler and sneaker ad).

Demon Knights Is Game Of Thrones

Some of the titles in DiDio's presentation were compared to (by Didio himself) recent hollywood trends (ie: Demon Knights= HBO's Game of Thrones).

Each title has a six issue commitment (I thought it was 12?).

Flashpoint is a "soft" starting point for the relaunch...in other words, you don't need to read F #5 to understand JLA #1

Advertising will be more significant...not only NATIONAL print/tv/movie ads, but also search engines, Facebook and emails

The target audience is 14-54, but the BUYING target audience males 18-34). they are trying to get the new, lapsed, and loyal readers.

July 20th Is Free DC Comics Sampler Day

For the retailers, they are doing a 75% co-op for advertising (although, to me, if they are already doing advertising, why do they need us?). They are also doing mid-night launch parties, and they are having retailers give out free "sampler" comics on 7/20, the same day as preview night at San Diego Comic Con. Retailers will receive these in quantities of five times their Flashpoint #1 orders.

There will be deep discount incentives on 7 of the titles (Wonder Woman being one of them with NO qualifier, unlike Marvel where you have to increase your order by 150% of another issue/title).

The polybagged JLA #1 that comes with the digital redemption code will have a variant cover (it wasn't announced who would do it however).

41 of the books will have complete 100% returnability at 20 cents per returned strip cover book (which some retailers criticized as ruining "the art form" but we can talk about that another day).

DC will NOT print to order and will have SOME reserves for re-orders, however, it is not a flat percentage across the board.

DC Direct and Mattel will produce product AFTER final designs are okayed.

Print Comics Outsell Digital 630 To One

The best was DC offering to retailers increased sales revenue of digital copies of their titles (through comiXology) if they have a stand alone DC comics portal (kind of forcing a retailer to get a website). They realize that we (the direct market) are their primary bread & butter (for now). The percentage of print over digital sales NOW are 630 to 1. Of course, this could change, but I do NOT think (IMHO) it will change that dramatically overnight.

Overall, the meeting was informative, and some of the books DO look exciting (for some reason, I have a personal morbid curiosity as to the I, Vampire title).

These is the final DC Retailer Roadshow I am aware of, you can catch up on LA, Dallas, Baltimore and New York shows here.

They won't re-re-number Action Comics and Detective Comics when their 1000th issues arrive? Yeah right. The 1000th issues would be something like 8 years away, and by then DC management and editorial may have changed, and who knows what other reboots, relaunches, and Crisis events will happen between now and then.

This is comics. Anything can, and will, happen. 1000 issues of Action and Detective are worth shouting about, when the time comes.

VP in Charge of Cool Kevin T Brown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gef View Post
    They won't re-re-number Action Comics and Detective Comics when their 1000th issues arrive? Yeah right. The 1000th issues would be something like 8 years away, and by then DC management and editorial may have changed, and who knows what other reboots, relaunches, and Crisis events will happen between now and then.

This is comics. Anything can, and will, happen. 1000 issues of Action and Detective are worth shouting about, when the time comes.
    Which does not invalidate Didio's comment....

He doesn't say that they won't renumber, he says that they have no plans to do so. They wouldn't need to plan a renumbering for six more years, so I'm surethat it's true at this point.

Yes, quite true!

They could always put a blurb on the cover of Action Comics Vol. 2, #94 (or whatever the actual issue number would be), "Celebrating 1,000 issues of Action Comics" - but it wouldn't be the same as Action Comics #1000.

To me this whole reboot is the comic book equivalent of the New York Yankees demolishing the original Yankee Stadium and replacing it with a new facility across the street, designed to look like the original but without the history, charm, or spirit of the building they tore down.
    When things are going bad I try to rationalize them by thinking "Oh well, what'll it matter in a hundred years." In a hundred years maybe it won't matter, but the trouble is that in the next few hours or days or weeks it matters a lot.
    - Harvey Pekar, "I'll Be Forty-Three on Friday (How I'm Living Now)," American Splendor #8, 1983.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BC Blog Editor View Post
    Print Comics Outsell Digital 630 To One

The best was DC offering to retailers increased sales revenue of digital copies of their titles (through comiXology) if they have a stand alone DC comics portal (kind of forcing a retailer to get a website). They realize that we (the direct market) are their primary bread & butter (for now).?* The percentage of print over digital sales NOW are 630 to 1.?* Of course, this could change, but I do NOT think (IMHO) it will change that dramatically overnight.
    Tell that to Amazon.

Mario Di Giacomo

"The target audience is 14-54, but the BUYING target audience males 18-34."

I'm 54. Does that mean I get my comics for free?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gnarlybole View Post
    "The target audience is 14-54, but the BUYING target audience males 18-34."

I'm 54. Does that mean I get my comics for free?
    It means they anticipate you'll sample it and then never actually buy one. Over 35, they figure you're too old. Under 18, apparently they assume you'll just bootleg the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Didiot
    Also, there are NO plans to re-number those 2 books when they DO reach their milestones (like marvel).
    ...I wouldn't worry. At 12 issues a year, we've still got about eight years and three months before #1000 arrives. Didio will probably be long gone by then, and there's no publishing house in the country that would overrule marketing attempting to take advantage of the promotional value of hyping a publication that had reached 1000 issues, especially one that's a monthly. The key issue is that for the next eight years we need to keep hitting Didio and his ilk hard in the face with this fact every chance we can get. He has a panel, someone needs to hit him with a question about this, one that includes a quick handclap poll of those attending the panel as to whether they'd like to see the original numbering reinstated. At the same time, hunt down the marketing types that do show up at the cons and express your dissatisfaction of how at least these two specific books were restarted in their numbering, especially if it caused you to drop them from your pull lists. As Didio found out with the Wonder Woman renumbering, and Marvel found out about their restart flops, it can and *will* backfire, and this case won't be an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    To me this whole reboot is the comic book equivalent of the New York Yankees demolishing the original Yankee Stadium and replacing it with a new facility across the street, designed to look like the original but without the history, charm, or spirit of the building they tore down.
    ...Especially after studies had shown that the original facility could have been expanded and retained, with the only benefits of building a new facility was the incorporation of new building materials and technologies, and the fact that the plumbing throughout the entire original Yankee Stadium had significant age and maintenance issues that hadn't been fully addressed since before Steinbrenner first bought the team. IIRC, according to the article I'd read online at the time, the last time any real improvements to the plumbing had been done, either Billy Martin was still managing or the Bronx hadn't caught fire yet.
    Last edited by _OM_; 06-28-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    -------

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast