Thread: Every Bazinga Ever Sheldoned

Administrator

Default Every Bazinga Ever Sheldoned

I have a problem with The Big Bang Theory. My problem is that it is neither Spaced nor The IT Crowd which I understand is unfair. But comoing across the Robot Wars episode the other night was especially painful, as it was basically the exact same Spaced episode, just without the comedy. Still, like a sore that must be picked I find myself returning to it every now and then. And Sheldon can be a truly wonderful sitcom monster...

So it's time for a Bazinga Marathon.

Clearly the problem here is with The Big Bang Theory, and not with your desires for American situation comedies to be the same as British situation comedies, right? Whose fault is it other than your own if you know you're not really keen on a show yet keep watching it?

Jesus, between you and Brendon it's like you're just setting out to whinge about tv comedy aimed at the 18-35 market. (Edit: Never mind, this seems to be one of those articles written by Brendon that show up as being posted by Rich. Brendon, maybe it's just time to admit that some shows aren't to your taste and stop watching them, rather than keep watching them while complaining that they're not what you like?)

Also, that Robot Wars episode is very funny if you've ever worked with or spent any significant time around scientists/research staff. That, in fact, is something I've found with the show in general. Perhaps this is an aspect of why you don't particularly enjoy it.

Edited to add:

Video for those forum-dwelling leopards like me who don't see this stuff on the front page.

Last edited by Fysh; 06-13-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    I have a problem with The Big Bang Theory...
    ...that it's not actually funny?

Does comoing over something involve singing "magic Moments"?

Wrote the Book on Cool

While it might not be cool (within the geek/nerd culture) to like The Big Bang Theory. It gets some comic book related stuff wrong and I'm sure it is easy to pick holes in the science based humour. Still, I am a big fan of the show and Sheldon Cooper is one of those sitcom characters that will be long remembered. Although my personal favourite has to be Wolowitz who gets some of the best lines (the scenes with his never-seen-Mother never fail to rise to raise a laugh out of me).

Comedy is subjective. There are plenty of things I find funny and plenty of things I don't.

Spaced was very funny, but it had a lot to do with the time it came along and tapping into the pop culture referencing vein. The first season of the IT crowd was very funny, but I've found the laughs harder to come by in the second and third seasons. Of course US sitcoms, with their teams of writers, 20 plus episodes and yearly seasons are very different from UK sitcoms which tend to be written by one or two people and last 6 episodes only appearing every couple of years in some cases.

In reference to the video, it grates due to the really bad canned laughter that is much more evident when the clips are strung together.

I'm English and like neither Spaced nor IT crowd, but I do love Big Bang and the ball pit scene never fails to send me into fits of uncontrollable laughter. Big Bang really does fail a lot on it's nerd culture stuff, but the characters are funny enough for me to still love the show inspite of that.

Quote Originally Posted by benthbook View Post
    I'm English and like neither Spaced nor IT crowd, but I do love Big Bang and the ball pit scene never fails to send me into fits of uncontrollable laughter. Big Bang really does fail a lot on it's nerd culture stuff, but the characters are funny enough for me to still love the show inspite of that.
    I haven't really paid attention to the finer detail of a lot of the "nerd culture" stuff, because tbh if that was all the show had going for it, it would just be a weird sort of cross between demographic-targets and fanservice. The humour comes from the characters, and there's a remarkable confidence in their development compared to a lot of sitcoms, not least in the fact that by the fourth season they've realised that certain characters only really work when used sparingly so they're making an effort to expand the character group rather than contract it (as usually happens after a while with such shows).

Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    I haven't really paid attention to the finer detail of a lot of the "nerd culture" stuff, because tbh if that was all the show had going for it, it would just be a weird sort of cross between demographic-targets and fanservice. The humour comes from the characters, and there's a remarkable confidence in their development compared to a lot of sitcoms, not least in the fact that by the fourth season they've realised that certain characters only really work when used sparingly so they're making an effort to expand the character group rather than contract it (as usually happens after a while with such shows).
    It's just the kind of stuff that only annoys you because you know about it. For example, pretty much every time Warcraft has been mentioned they seem to confuse it with the workings of Conan online. There's been a few remarks made about Star Trek which are totally wrong and when it's Sheldon saying it, it's pretty jarring.

As I said in my comment, the characters are good enough for me to ignore it and still enjoy the show. My friends and I always watch the latest episode on our video nights, we all agree that Amy Farrah Fowler is the best addition they made to the show and we like the fact that there's now a girl group as well as the original guys. We totally dig the Shamey.