Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Eastman Working For Hire On Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Administrator

Default Kevin Eastman Working For Hire On Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

It seems such a strange circular juxtaposition here. Kevin Eastman, co-creator of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, one of the biggest creator owned comic book success story of all time, who sold his interest in the Turtles to MTV, now finds himslef co-writing the new comic book series from IDW, coming out in August.

Work-for-hire.

Suddenly an editor can say "I'm sorry Kevin, I don't think you've got the voice for Leonardo quite right," or "Michelangelo wouldn't do that" or "pitch me three plots and I'll tell you if I like any of them."

It must be a strange feeling.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be written by Eastman and co-writer Tom Waltz, drawn by Dan Duncan from Eastman's layouts with Sam Kieth and Walter Simonson on covers for issue 1 and 2, with Eastman drawing variant covers.

its like michael jackson and the beatles.
    wow.
    except turtles.

Huh. Weird how things work out.

What I wonder is, what happened between Eastman and Laird that it needed to come to this?

Also, did Eastman ever sell all his Turtles stuff?
    "If you find 'I think you're wrong' offensive, there's not much I can tell you. Except that you are, in fact, wrong."
    Reminder: There are roughly 313,000,000 people in the United States. There are roughly 2,000 Direct Market Comic Shops in the United States. That means there is 1 comic shop for every 156,500 people in America.
    Free Entertainment: JoePanc l Anything Can Happen Wednesday l Adult Supervision Advised l The Canny Cthulhu Holmes l 24
    Paid Entertainment: Though My Chains Be Forged

Wrote the Book on Cool DaveOMac's Avatar

Actually you are wrong on this one Rich.

Eastman sold his half of the Ninja Turtles to Peter Laird back in 2000. It was all finalized by 2008.

Laird then sold all the rights to Nickelodeon last year.

So this comic is actually a huge deal as Eastman has had nothing to do with the turtles for decades.

Before selling, it was reported that it had been almost 10 years since Eastman did anything with the Turtles due to disagreements with Peter Laird.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Wouldnt both eastman and laird be stinking rich???

Holy crap.
    I was pretty sad when the Mirage Tales series got cancelled... and that vol. 4 never finished... and I wanted Tristan Jones to be working on this... but, wow. This is pretty amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZilla View Post
    Having made lots of money does not mean one still has lots of money.

I would think Laird still is doing well (especially after the Nickelodeon sale) but Eastman didn't get that money (since he already sold his interest to Laird).

And Eastman has been using his money for lots of projects (including the Xeric Grant, which I would imagine has some of its own money, but he surely gave it seed money; and if I recall he tried having his own publishing company where creators got advances in a similar vein to how prose books function, which did not end too well).
    "If you find 'I think you're wrong' offensive, there's not much I can tell you. Except that you are, in fact, wrong."
    Reminder: There are roughly 313,000,000 people in the United States. There are roughly 2,000 Direct Market Comic Shops in the United States. That means there is 1 comic shop for every 156,500 people in America.
    Free Entertainment: JoePanc l Anything Can Happen Wednesday l Adult Supervision Advised l The Canny Cthulhu Holmes l 24
    Paid Entertainment: Though My Chains Be Forged

Wrote the Book on Cool DaveOMac's Avatar

I thought Eastman was putting everything he had in Heavy Metal. I can only assume that the magazine is not doing so well.

Then again Nickelodeon or IDW might have thrown a lot of money had him so that can saw one of the original creators is helping relaunch the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOMac View Post
    So this comic is actually a huge deal as Eastman has had nothing to do with the turtles for decades.
    Not quite.

He published this in 2002:

And this in 2009:

Both through "Heavy Metal".

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZilla View Post
    Eastman lost a shitload of money with Tundra Publishing:

Despite its ambitious start, Tundra never became a profitable enterprise. It closed its doors in 1993 after burning through $14 million in three years
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tundra_Publishing

He also sold or at least tried to to sell basically all things TMNT he had (toys, comic books and the like) last year (it was enough stuff to fill a warehouse IIRC). But I guess this had more to do with storage space.

気持ち悪い

It could also be less "Guy needed a job" and more "Guy thought it'd be fun to work with the Turtles again"
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast