Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Punch the air and shout "Yessss!!!"

Default Punch the air and shout "Yessss!!!"

I seem to be spending a lot of time in here recently bitching about what I don't like.

That's only healthy to a finite degree.

So what has been good in comics recently? (Where recently is a verrrry fluid and flexible concept)

Issue, arc, panel, plot development, new title, new/old creative team on a book, throwaway line, whatever, it's time to share the good stuff!

What made you go "Yessss!!" ?

For me, not so recent, but the sequence in Thor #2, where Ol' Goldilocks layed a long overdue bitch slapping on Iron Man was and still is just pure gold!!

Cheers.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Spider-Man #597 had a hilarious page that made me laugh.

Spidey is fighting against Daken (wolvie's son) and says:

"BTW, i spoke tou your dad the other day ... he wanted me to remind you not to pick your nose with your claws out.He worries so"

"he also said to tell you the mohawk was cool ... for 1982. And this from a guy with mutton-chops ... and immutable helmet head"

"so whe the king of the folically chalenged speaks ... you should put down the gel and listen"

silly or not .... made me laugh out loud. Weird look from the girlfriend and weirdest look when i tried to explain the joke. anyway ...
    CHELSEA ABOVE ALL !!!!

Stamford Bridge SW6

Mine is from a few months back too, the panel in All Star Superman #12 when Jor-El turns to Supes during his "death dream" and saying "Here the choice is simple. To remain at play within the field of living, fluid consciousness. Or to turn and face down evil one last time." A "FUCK YEAH!" moment if there ever was.
    People from Cork are the most well balanced people in Ireland. They have a chip on both shoulders.

Empowered #5...uh...Empowered Numbah Five! The whole thing, as usual, was great, but toward the middle when Empowered is wailing on Angler Fish, it made me smile.

Power Girl #2 made me happy, and the preview pages from Power Girl #3 make me really happy! Not only do we get a fantastically described deathtrap, but we see a fantastic escape as well. (And if it's a spoiler that the lead character doesn't die, I suggest you get bent.)

Dance #2, when Joe Casey makes a reference to The Intimates made me (mentally) go, "Oh, damn! No he didn't! Yes, yes he did!" It's at that point the Super Young Team stops being a bad Grant Morrison joke and starts being a Joe Casey experience.

The issue before last of Nova, when Worldmind didn't die, just rebooted to another interface, made me want to whoop and holler. I'd been about to drop the book because of the whole Worldmind/Ego thing, but DnA made me a believer again.

Did I mention Empowered #5 was awesome?

Wrote the Book on Cool GlennWatson's Avatar

The current story Line in the FF is very exciting. This new villain is apparently Dr Doom's teacher. The artist and writers are cutting through my jaded nature and making me believe this bad guy is really dangerous. I'm desperate to know what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    I seem to be spending a lot of time in here recently bitching about what I don't like.
    ...Which is more indicative of the state of the industry than our tastes, alas.

What made you go "Yessss!!" ?
    ...Ironically, there's been at least one scene per issue of Secret Six that's given me that kind of result on a constant monthly basis. Alas, Gail's done a bad Mark Waid impression and run back off to CBR, so she'll never know that her good professional works have been recognized over here.

For me, not so recent, but the sequence in Thor #2, where Ol' Goldilocks layed a long overdue bitch slapping on Iron Man was and still is just pure gold!!
    ...That's one of the few Marvel ones I can name off the top of my head. I actually saw it as a moral counterpoint to the Superman vs. Captain Marvel fight at the end of Kingdom Come, if you can grasp the similarities. I just wish Thor had followed through with what he started and put Stark out of our misery

Wrote the Book on Cool DarkKnightJared's Avatar

Pretty much all the Bat-titles recently have been very enjoyable for me, espicially Batman & Robin and Detective Comics.

Read "Captain America: Reborn", thought of the "Team America" theme song, pumped fists in the air. It also helps that today happens to be the July 4th holiday. Kinda fitting, eh?
    TRUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...Which is more indicative of the state of the industry than our tastes, alas.
    It's also par for the course for any critical/review/discussion board - we spend infinitely more time on the x% that needs "fixed" than on the yy% that is ticking along just fine...

Hmmm..

Another one from me;

Mighty Avengers 24, where Pietro claims that he was replaced by a Skrull for the past few years... never saw that one coming, it's perfectly in character and it's bloody clever! (Also various other throwaway lines in MA, usually at the expense of Hank Pym, but also including the line where Jocasta explains that kissing Pym is like kissing her god... Clever, clever stuff!)

Cheers.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Mighty Avengers 24, where Pietro claims that he was replaced by a Skrull for the past few years... never saw that one coming, it's perfectly in character and it's bloody clever!
    After reading the last 3 issues of Mighty Avengers in one sit i entered this thread to add this one .... Bravo sir !!!! Good call ... hilarious and clever at the same time. A genuine comic-book curveball.
    CHELSEA ABOVE ALL !!!!

Stamford Bridge SW6

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast