Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: Review: All New X-Men 1 by Brian Bendis and Stuart Immonen

Administrator

Default Review: All New X-Men 1 by Brian Bendis and Stuart Immonen

Forgot to mention this. I had the chance to read All New X-Men #1 at NYCC. Sorry, should have said.

It is one of those books where you know the core concept going in, and then you get that core concept revealed at the end as some kind of cliffhanger. Except of course you knew it going in, they're on the cover, this was the solicitation, the promotion, the PR, this is why you bought the comic. It's not a surprise when it happens.

What is a surprise that they actually use the end of the comic as a preview for the comic. To be fair, it's where most of the "stuff" happens, but even so. Expect a lot of people experiencing deja vu when they read this on Wednesday.

There are lots of terribly interesting things in and around the comic. 2013 is the year where the future of Dayd Of Future Past was meant to be said, and the current Marvel Universe is the horrific future seen by the past. Although on Marvel's sliding timescale, that means these funky teenagers are from 2005, maybe 2004, at a push 2003 even as they are all doing their best Mad Men impression. Immonen is an expert here at creating different moods, different times, different experiences without clashing and making the differences obvious

The problem is that a lot of it isn't in the first issue. There's plenty of talk about the new position of the X-Men, much discussion of legacy and history, and unease about Cyclops and especially the death of the Professor. Again. And it's the old team, now the grandees of the X-Men who are doing the talking. The Beast it seems is the one who seems to be doing something about it, even though it goes against his grain. So he takes all the subtext of current X-Men stories, clashing the old with the new, and makes it text, courtesy of some time travel device or other. Unlike Uncanny Avengers #1, there just not as much to get your teeth into in the first issue.

Maybe it's just one of those comics that has been over teased, over previewed, over analysed before the first issue has come out. But then I have to remember that not everyone reads these previews to death. Not everyone even knows what All-New X-Men is about?* Not everyone reads Bleeding Cool. I know, shocking.

Many of Bendis' strengths come out over an extended story, a first issue probably isn't the best way to judge th book, the first trade paperback will be better. But offs are that's exactly what many people wil new. People new to the comic may be entertained far more than those who have been reading about this for months. Expect an outpouring of "is that it" in comic shops. It may well be more your fault than that of the comic.

It just seems ironic that "All-New X-Men" will feel like "Been-There-Done-That X-Men" to many.

All-New X-Men #1 by Brian Bendis and Stuart Immonen is published by Marvel Comics on Wednesday.

Bleeding Cool

So basically a trade wait book.

Dean of Cool University Maniacmatt's Avatar

That really isn't a criticism of the book itself though. It's more critique of the PR done for the book. Bendis just wrote it, he didn't decide to over-advertise and discuss it.
    Rootfireember likes this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    So basically a trade wait book.
    More like a trade skip book for me. After watching Bendis' Avengers and New Avengers verge into unreadable over the last few years, he's an automatic pass for me now (even though Immonen is an amazing penciler).

I'm much more interested in Aaron, Remender, and Hickman's new books.
    Last edited by remylabeef; 11-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    _OM_, Enkido and botc76 like this.

Cool

Henry Philip McCoy would know better than to say "from whence".

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Many of Bendis' strengths come out over an extended story, a first issue probably isn't the best way to judge th book, the first trade paperback will be better. But offs are that's exactly what many people wil new. People new to the comic may be entertained far more than those who have been reading about this for months. Expect an outpouring of "is that it" in comic shops. It may well be more your fault than that of the comic.
    My fault? No, it's the fault of the writer. If Bendis can't make the first issue of a relaunch interesting and engaging to readers old and and new then he hasn't done his job properly
    the_Dagman, Blade X, _OM_ and 8 others like this.

Dean of Cool University Stevaux The LEsser's Avatar

I love previews and spoilers and they don't impact my enjoyment when I get the comic. I think it's all about context and getting the whole experience finally. With this there's also the writer that made me buy Avengers again after years of drek killed my affection for the franchise moving over to the franchise that no one could kill my love of. Add Bachalo and Immomen as artists on Bendis' X-Books and you have the prefect storm of comic creation for me...

Consultant of Cool

It's beautiful, and I like how Bendis does teen characters (if nothing else), so this will still get a buy from me.

Bleeding Cool

Sounds to me like it's what Cave said above. It's being written with the idea that #1 will be the sales cushion. The issue we all know from the PR months ahead of time, written with enough decompression to serve as the opening swath for a trade paperback that will instantly sale because it's a #1. Like all modern series....Marvel especially...the meat of the story doesn't start until issue #2 or #3. They want you to pay them to start the story for you, thus a #1 issue with nothing to say that hasn't been dissected by the media for the past six months. Second verse, same as the first.

VP in Charge of Cool Captain Comet's Avatar

If the old X-Men come to the future in less than 6 issues it will be a victory for Bendis.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast