Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Weekly Reviews - 10 October 2012 (With Previews)

Quote Originally Posted by drachenfells View Post
    If you remind me nearer the time then i will try and make it.
    Me, too - lots of things in flux at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by drachenfells View Post
    If you remind me nearer the time then i will try and make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Me, too - lots of things in flux at the moment!
    totally understood!

I'm going to ain to get this every thursday, with optional involvement, very little dependency on each other, etc, etc ...
    Maybe a facebook group or something ...

but then ... hmmm ... that would involve me friending people ...

ugh ... maybe not ;-)

Account Closed

Walking Dead Michonne Special - 2/5 stars
    Image/ $2.99

This one-shot special tells Michonne's origin (original published in last April's issue of Playboy), plus reprints her first appearance from Walking Dead #19.

The origin tale is extremely brief, although Charlie Adlard gives Michonne a few memorable moments. Kirkman's script unnecessarily commits minor continuity guffaws (in previous WD comics, Michonne states that her neighbor may have used the sword to killed her cat --- in this tale, she refers to the sword killing her dog), while new readers should beware of reading the reprint of WD #19 out of order as it spoils many, many plot points from early in the series. UGH.

Even for Walking Dead completists, you're better off just waiting for Michonne's origin tale to show up in one of the hardcover collections or maybe just set your 3 dollars on fire. Either way.

Account Closed

The Massive #5 - 4/5 stars
    Dark Horse/ $3.50

While I suppose the events of this issue are relatively small in comparison to the ... hmm.... massive problems faced by the crew in previous issues, Massive #5 is an excellent character-building story for Mary and Ryan. One of them dies a few times throughout the story, but it's okay. Just remember: when radioactive thugs jam their rifles down your face, you are always Canadian, never American.

Garry Brown's art is gorgeous this time out. I don't even miss Kristian Donaldson anymore.

Account Closed

Conan the Barbarian #9 - 3/5 stars
    Dark Horse/ $3.50

Definitely not the best of Brian Wood's Conan comics, but I guess they can't all be winners. The conclusion of "Border Fury" finds Belit blind and sour on Cimmeria, while Wood reminds us that amoral Conan is certainly no hero. A mixed bag, overall. Declan Shalvey draws the next three issues, which I'm looking forward to. The letters page seems to indicate that Conan #12 will be renumbered as Conan #100.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalClavicles View Post
    The Massive #5 - 4/5 stars
    Dark Horse/ $3.50

While I suppose the events of this issue are relatively small in comparison to the ... hmm.... massive problems faced by the crew in previous issues, Massive #5 is an excellent character-building story for Mary and Ryan. One of them dies a few times throughout the story, but it's okay. Just remember: when radioactive thugs jam their rifles down your face, you are always Canadian, never American.

Garry Brown's art is gorgeous this time out. I don't even miss Kristian Donaldson anymore.

Argh.
    I picked up the 3 issue of the side story, instead of this, for review.
    Irritation.

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man_Moon View Post
    Argh.
    I picked up the 3 issue of the side story, instead of this, for review.
    Irritation.
    It's a solid 4, Mooney!

Part 2 of 3, yes, but it could very easily be enjoyed as a standalone story about hot anarchist girls vs. radioactive ice thugs.

Demon Knights #13 (DC COMICS) - 3.0/5

I can't deny there are some nice ideas and touches in this - Vandal Savages perfect contentment with his actions; Sir Ystin's "defence" against demons. But it's another "personal hell" style story and it seems to be meandering. I have to wonder whether Cornell was already packing his bags for Marvel.

Batman #13 (DC COMICS) - 3.5/5

Death of the Family begins and I fear for not getting any of the multitudinous crossovers. The tale harks back to the Joker's first appearance smartly and there are certainly going to be no punches pulled on the clown's psychosis here. However, there are a couple of problems: one is that the Joker's plan seems far too organised, too little lunacy. But the main one is that he's not funny - that's a key component balancing the mad with dark humour. This is more about (well done) fear and the build to some likely death, whoever it may be. Conflicted feelings.

Fantastic Four #611 (MARVEL COMICS) - 3.0/5

The final issue wraps up the situation with Doom as the toybox lid is almost shut, everything neatly back where it was. It's perfectly fine as a big-scale tale, but doesn't touch on the sort of Celestial mega-scale that Hickman was hitting at the start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12