Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Guardians Of The Galaxy Casting Rumours: Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Wes Bentley And More

Administrator

Default Guardians Of The Galaxy Casting Rumours: Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Wes Bentley And More

I'll drop a nice little pile of names during this story, various actors rumoured to be on Marvel's hit list for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Even still, by the end, not one of them will be female. I'm astonished by the continued lack of Gamora-related gossip.

Anyhow, back to the men. Perhaps Raccoons. And maybe alien plant things.

Latino Review are the ones bringing up the new slate of names. They add three contenders to the list for Peter Quill, Star Lord saying that Wes Bentley, Chris Lowell, and Cam Gigandet will be reading for the role.

It's been a long search, and a wide one, and whoever finally gets the role should feel really rather lucky.

Meanwhile, the same report says that Marvel are starting the process of filling other roles by:
    asking for the availability of both Jim Carrey AND Adam Sandler!
    Not my block caps, not my exclamation mark.

It's assumed that these guys won't be up for Quill, and I think that's a fair bet. Instead, it's supposed that the role in question is likely to be Rocket Raccoon or Groot.

I can see the thought processes that match them to Rocket Raccoon. Just imagine either of them with a cigar in their mouth and you're half way there. With Groot... I'm not so clear on what the thinking would be.

Guardians gets shooting this Summer, over here in the UK. I won't be surprised to see casting go right down to the wire.

I like Carrey for Racoon ... Sandler ... nyeh.

Consultant of Cool

But, I hate Adam Sandler…
    thekeith82 likes this.

Consultant of Cool

For the sake of all that anyone ever deemed holy, keep Sandler out of it!!
    thekeith82 and Clavius like this.

There are so many amazingly talented voice actors out there, I'm always a bit disappointed when a mainstream celeb gets a voice role. It's not so bad if it's a completely animated production, because every movie needs some bankable stars, but for a supporting role it always just feels like there are probably more qualified people getting passed over for the job.

And yeah, seriously, no fucking Adam Sandler, ever. He made the only movie I'll probably ever enjoy years ago, and he's done nothing since to demonstrate he's anything to write home about. I do almost kinda love the idea that he's basically running his entire career as a con job to pay his buddies stupid sums of money, but that still isn't going to endear me to any of his shitty movies.

Wrote the Book on Cool littlemaths's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thekeith82 View Post
    There are so many amazingly talented voice actors out there, I'm always a bit disappointed when a mainstream celeb gets a voice role. It's not so bad if it's a completely animated production, because every movie needs some bankable stars, but for a supporting role it always just feels like there are probably more qualified people getting passed over for the job.
    It's a completely different talent set. There's a number of actors who are also capable voice actors, but there's also a lot of actors who just don't have the skills. See, for example, the cast of the Madagascar series.
    thekeith82, twincast and Clavius like this.

I guess Sandler could say "I AM GROOT!" as well as anybody? Just don't use John Rhys-Davies, unless you *want* to piss off the LotR crowd.

I don't know why, but I've always 'heard' a British accent on Rocket Raccoon.

Wrote the Book on Cool GreenCatcher's Avatar

Im just waiting for the Drax rumors to start at some point. But at for this news, Carrey for RR might be a good idea. It would be a bit of a stretch but it could done. As for Sandler, never in a million years, I don't watch his current movies but you don't need to watch them to know they are utter shit. Even if it is for Groot who will only have 3 words of dialogue the entire movie, I don't want him associated with something that so far has only made a couple of missteps here and there.
    twincast and Clavius like this.
    "They used to call the devil the father of lies. But for someone whose sin is meant to be pride, you'd think that lying would leave something of a sour taste. So my theory is that when the devil wants to get something out of you, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to hell." Mr. Easterman

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    They gave him one in the Marvel vs. Capcom game he was in, that may be why.

As for the rest, considering ALL Groot says is "I am Groot", it seems like a really good excuse to hire a real voice actor over a "celebrity". You know who could do it awesomely, and even make it sound like he's saying different things with the same words? Kevin Michael Richardson. Give Groot to that guy and watch the magic happen. Not even kidding. Along those same lines, somebody like Steve Blum, who not only does lots of Wolverine voices but is otherwise best known as Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop, would be a decent Rocket Raccoon, depending on how they play it. Rob Paulsen would be another really good one, again depending on how the character is written...but those two definitely cover a spectrum.
    thekeith82, twincast and Clavius like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    Me too, but since we don't have Raccoons here it probably wouldn't make much sense. Not that the most unbelievable thing about a talking space raccoon would be a British accent of course
    Timber-Munki, twincast and Clavius like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast