Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum Also Read For Guardians Of The Galaxy - But We're Not Sure He's Really In With A Shout

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum Also Read For Guardians Of The Galaxy - But We're Not Sure He's Really In With A Shout

Linda Ge writes for Bleeding Cool.The longer we go without a Star-Lord, the more contenders seem to come out of the woodwork. Despite our last assurance that the pool for the Guardians of the Galaxy lead had narrowed to just three - Jim Sturgess, Zachary Levi and Joseph Gordon-Levitt - a new actor took it upon himself to toss his hat into the ring.

Smallville actor Michael Rosenbaum should certainly be familiar to the same audience that is clamoring for Marvel's Phase 2 films, having played iconic DC villain Lex Luthor for 10 (10!) seasons on the long-running Superman prequel TV series.
    Read for my pal @jamesgunn GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY for PETER QUILL. What a treat! Thanks Jimmy. @marvel

? Michael Rosenbaum (@mrosenbaum711) January 3, 2013
    Personally, I tend to take actors who publicly announce their candidacy for roles with a grain of salt. For the most part, I find it to be a rather obvious, tactical grab for fan support and it rarely amounts to anything.

We don't blame him for wanting the role and hustling for it, but it's important to keep expectations level. For one thing, we don't know how many other people auditioned, but we do know that Rosenbaum's name never showed up on any of the previous shortlists of actors who were in serious contention. For another, this tweet from a Variety reporter seems to hint it may already be too late for Rosenbaum:
    So that mystery man in my GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY story turned out to be @hitrecordjoe, who has the Peter Quill offer, among many others...

? Jeff Sneider (@TheInSneider) January 2, 2013
    Has Marvel and director James Gunn already decided on the in demand Gordon-Levitt? If he "has the offer", that would be a big yes. Looks like it may be up to the maybe-Batman to decide if he wants to be Peter Quill or if Rosenbaum, Sturgess, Levi and any number of other actors still auditioning will still get a shot at it.

*Brendon's note: That Rosenbaum and Gunn are friends makes it hard for me to take the tweet on face value. I can't help but wonder if there isn't just a friendly favour at work here...

Wrote the Book on Cool

If Marvel was looking for a legit minor star he would work. He's already proven he can be a dickheaded douche bag while playing Lex and a few other movies but that is assuming they are going to base this Star Lord off of D&A's run.

Consultant of Cool

No actor seriously trying to get the role would be stupid enough to tweet about it.

Exceedingly Cool

I think he is a great and fun actor. Honestly, would be perfect for the SHIELD TV show. I doubt he will get the job but we have seen stranger things. He also does a ton of voice work, so maybe he could pop up as an alien? I am wondering if they are going to attempt to set up SWORD eventually in the movies.

Cool

I like Gordon-Levitt, but I'd much rather have Levi or Rosenbaum. Also, Rosenbaum was Lex for 7 seasons plus the finale, not 10. And don't forget, he was also the Flash in JL/JLU and one of the animated movies.

Consultant of Cool

What about Gamora and Drax? Haven't really heard too much casting rumours about them...

My left-field pick for Gamora is Fringe's talented Anna Torv!

Exceedingly Cool

One thing that might be overlooked here: Gunn and Michael Rosenbaum are good friends, so it is believable that Gunn would give his friend a shot.

And at the same time, Michael's tweet doesn't hurt anybody, and isn't one of those secretive things that could land him in trouble.

Consultant of Cool

Of all the rumored actors I think my top choice would be Sturgess. Wouldn't object to JGL either.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jipp View Post
    What about Gamora and Drax? Haven't really heard too much casting rumours about them...

My left-field pick for Gamora is Fringe's talented Anna Torv!
    I was thinking of Mila Kunis though a bit short 5'4" she does have that sexy assassin vibe to her. Though Anna would work also.

Zen Master of Cool

What hurts more is when fans throw an actor's hat in the ring for them. Such as when that guy was tossing Nathan Fillon's name to David O'Russell for Uncharted. And Nathan even said that it actually hurts because it annoys the studio and makes them look bad. But really, there is nothing wrong with an actor throwing his hat in the ring. What do you think an actor is doing when they go to a casting call, or have their agent contact the studio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast