Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead Officially Renewed For Fourth Season But It'll Need A New Showrunner

Administrator

Default Walking Dead Officially Renewed For Fourth Season But It'll Need A New Showrunner

Glen Mazzara is the second showrunner to leave The Walking Dead in just three series. He took over from the suddenly-departingFrank Darabont in the early part of series two and will see the series through to the end of post production on series three.

AMC have released his official statement as to why, as well as comments from the original comics' co-creator Robert Kirkman and the show's producer Gale Anne Hurd.

From AMC and Mazara in a joint statement:
    Both parties acknowledge that there is a difference of opinion about where the show should go moving forward, and conclude that it is best to part ways,
    Here's Mazara on his tod:
    My time as showrunner onThe Walking Deadhas been an amazing experience, but after I finish season 3, it?s time to move on. I have told the stories I wanted to tell and connected with our fans on a level that I never imagined. It doesn?t get much better than that. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey
    Hurd:
    I am appreciative and grateful to Glen for hishard work on ?The Walking Dead.?I am supportive of AMC and Glen?s decisionandknow thatthe series is in great handswith one of the mosttalented and dedicatedcasts and crews in the business. I look forward to the show?s continued success
    AndKirkman:
    I am in full support of both AMC and Glen Mazzara in the decision they have come to and believe the parties came to this decision in the best interest of the future of the show. I thank Glen for his hard work and appreciate his many contributions to The Walking Dead and look forward to working with him as we complete post production on Season 3. I am also excited to begin work on another spectacular season of this show that I know means so much to so many people. This show has always been the result of a wide range of extremely talented men and women working tirelessly to produce their best work collectively. I believe the future is bright for The Walking Dead. Thank you to the fans for your continued support.
    To take the burn off a little, AMC have also officially announced that the show will return for a fourth series. Great news, pending word on who will actually be making the thing.

Dean of Cool University

Seasons, not Series.

VP in Charge of Cool

I don't even like Walking Dead (though I watch it) and AMC would have to be colossally, unnaturally stupid for there NOT to be a fourth season, that I don't see why anyone would be surprised. That said, they've already proven to be pretty stupid when it comes to the show, what with slashing the budget and driving Durabont away, so I suppose there's that.

Exceedingly Cool

Was it stupid to drive Darabont away? The show's been much better since he left. Season 3 has been much better than 1 and the part of 2 that Darabont oversaw(the first half, which was boring as hell). In my opinion, of course, though I'll say that pretty much every review and comment I've seen concurs.

Forcing Glen Mazzara out might be stupid though.

Consultant of Cool

To lose one showrunner may be unfortunate, to lose two seems careless...

VP in Charge of Cool Tariq Leslie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PastePotPete View Post
    Was it stupid to drive Darabont away? The show's been much better since he left. Season 3 has been much better than 1 and the part of 2 that Darabont oversaw(the first half, which was boring as hell). In my opinion, of course, though I'll say that pretty much every review and comment I've seen concurs.

Forcing Glen Mazzara out might be stupid though.
    That's my concern too.

I hate to say this of a producer/film maker whose films have been such great experiences for me, but Walking Dead jumped light years when Darabont left.

Under Mazzara it's achieved some truly fantastic heights - and I have so loved seeing the zombies simply become window-dressing to stories that are exploring ideas about who we are as a race, and what is important to us as a people.

Mazzara killed Shane too - finally! - dear god did that character outstay his welcome by close to 3 episodes. The endless cycle from episode to episode between Rick seemingly getting him to understand/come to peace and then have him yet again betray Rick, was getting so tiresome - especially since there didn't seem to be any instance of Rick getting more and more frustrated with Shane.

Consultant of Cool

Really? So, a showrunner makes a cable series the highest rated show on TV (even higher than a network show) something that has never been achieved in TV history and you decide either fire him or let him leave? And because you disagree with where he wants to take the show? What kind of nonsense is this?

Since Mazzara took over as showrunner, The Walking Dead has continuously broke ratings records with it's premieres and finales and has gained more and more fans/viewers. This damn show gained 2 million viewers between the season 2 finale and the season 3 premiere. Shows rarely gain that many viewers during a hiatus. And not only that, they were dropped by Dish Network and didn't lose any numbers. That's how successful the show has become. About 14 million Dish Network customers didn't have access to the season 3 premiere and not only did the ratings not reflect that loss, it gained 2 million viewers.

AMC is slipping. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hell, they're actually trying to break what they already fixed by letting Darabont go and elevating Mazzara to showrunner. Weird.

Consultant of Cool

I wonder how much of this is Kirkman coming into his own in the writer's room, and how much of it is AMC's seemingly knee jerk reaction to cut costs constantly.

Mind you, with the nature of The Walking Dead, other than Carl and Rick, I'd say the entire cast has enough volatility that they'll probably never have to worry about paying them a whole ton, since there is so much turnover.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Can one of you guys explain what exactly a 'showrunner' does since I have never heard this term specifically nor seen it as a credit?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRock View Post
    Can one of you guys explain what exactly a 'showrunner' does since I have never heard this term specifically nor seen it as a credit?
    The showrunner (usually credited as an executive producer) is basically a cross between a producer and head writer on a show. They're the ones who guide the overall writing direction of the show, handle casting decisions, manage the writing staff, and run interference between the production and studio/network. In some cases they may also be the (co)creator of a TV show.

In a nutshell, they're the creative boss of the show.

Some other notable recent showrunners:

Vince Gilligan - Breaking Bad
    Matthew Weiner - Mad Men
    Ronald Moore - Battlestar Galactica
    Stephen Moffat - Doctor Who (season 5 and up), Sherlock
    Russell T. Davies - Doctor Who (seasons 1-4), Torchwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast