Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Joss Whedon's SHIELD Adds A

  1. #1
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    12,790

    Default Joss Whedon's SHIELD Adds A

    Brett Dalton has won the part of Agent Grant in the upcoming SHIELD TV series from Marvel and Joss Whedon. Grant is, to the best of my knowledge, another original creation and not a legacy character from the comics.

    Most of TV Line's story on the matter is full of things we already know - who SHIELD are, for example - but they do add a few details of Grant's character:
    He?s deadly, precise, and cool under fire ? but not so great with the people skills.
    Grant is the fifth agent to be cast so far, if we're including Coulson. Production is set for early in the new year, so the last few bits of the cast list will likely be filled in soon. Anybody not going to be an Agent, do you think?

  2. #2
    Exceedingly Cool BigAl6ft6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    147

    Default

    I liked the crew from the "Item 47" short on the Avengers DVD, are they going to come back? It felt like a teaser for the SHIELD TV series and I love seeing Titus "The Man in Black" Welliver in anything.

  3. #3
    Consultant of Cool
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl6ft6 View Post
    I liked the crew from the "Item 47" short on the Avengers DVD, are they going to come back? It felt like a teaser for the SHIELD TV series and I love seeing Titus "The Man in Black" Welliver in anything.
    I can't speak for Titus Welliver, but Jesse Bradford is the star of an NBC comedy and Lizzy Caplan is the star of an upcoming Showtime series, so it's unlikely they'd be involved in the series. At least not the pilot.

    Caplan was already asked about her potential role in the series. She was glad people were excited about the possibility, but said she couldn't really take a significant part in the show, due to her commitments. She said maybe she could do a little something, but it's probably a longshot.

  4. #4
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    δΣx
    Posts
    5,230

    Default

    All I want is Coulson full-time, front and center. The bald agent that was in Avengers, Item 47, and The Consultant as his right hand, and Titus Welliver as his left. The rest is just background cannon-fodder minutia...
    Traveling.

  5. #5
    Exceedingly Cool
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The deepest pits of Hel, somewhere in southern germany
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I'm wondering why so few are to be based on the characters from the comics. I mean, there are lots of SHIELD Agents you could choose from, when you combine all that have played bigger roles in the many books Shield appeared in.

    F.E: why not call this Agent Alexander Pierce? Is it just because of the nightmarish Hoff version of Nick Fury?

  6. #6
    Moderator Mad_Man_Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    /members/mad_man_moon/albums/
    Posts
    13,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by botc76 View Post
    I'm wondering why so few are to be based on the characters from the comics. I mean, there are lots of SHIELD Agents you could choose from, when you combine all that have played bigger roles in the many books Shield appeared in.

    F.E: why not call this Agent Alexander Pierce? Is it just because of the nightmarish Hoff version of Nick Fury?
    Maybe because they want characters that more than 2% of the population have heard of.

    Maybe.

  7. #7
    VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man_Moon View Post
    Maybe because they want characters that more than 2% of the population have heard of.

    Maybe.
    Of course. So they use characters 0% of the population have heard of.

    I find your snark faulty, sir.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    12,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pop-Tart Samson View Post
    All I want is Coulson full-time, front and center. The bald agent that was in Avengers, Item 47, and The Consultant as his right hand, and Titus Welliver as his left. The rest is just background cannon-fodder minutia...
    That is very, very far removed from what you are actually going to get.

  9. #9
    VP in Charge of Cool
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,729

    Default

    It is just possible that some of the names we've been given for those agents are fake.

    It is also possible that agents with recognizable names (to comics fans) will be used in guest starring roles.
    Using "fresh" agents has the advantage of not giving away too much potential back story up front.

    I trust that the SHIELD series will tie comfortably in with the expanded Movie Universe, and help build a framework for other Super-Hero films or TV-shows. This includes cameos from various familiar comics characters both within SHIELD and Without.

    Arrow has done a nice job so far of doing the same thing. A lot of the main cast are "new names" and even the old faces are not necessarily what we'd expect.

    I think the safest thing is to not assume anything until we see the pilot episode. There might be a a lot of information in that which will put us at ease.

  10. #10
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    δΣx
    Posts
    5,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    That is very, very far removed from what you are actually going to get.
    I know, which is why I doubt I will enjoy or watch it. I'm not interested in stereotype-designed-by-committee tv characters. Who gives a shit? They're a dime-a-dozen. If MARVEL can't actually give us the characters we know and love, what's the point of this half-baked idea? Sounds banal.
    Traveling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •