Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Adoptees Call For A Boycott Of The Avengers

Administrator

Default Adoptees Call For A Boycott Of The Avengers

This is an interesting example of how people will misread a narrative, perhaps sometimes deliberately.

A number of adoptees and adoptive parents are taking issue with one exchange in The Avengers.

Black Widow says of Loki:
    He killed 80 people in 2 days.
    To which Thor replies:
    He's adopted.
    I laughed. My wife, sitting next to me, laughed. A good proportion of the audience laughed. I expect you most likely laughed too.

But some adoptees didn't. One petition comes with the following statement:
    Sooo..according to your scriptwriter, the fact he was adopted is the reason he is a bad guy!

Being adopted is NOT something to use for the butt of jokes! Marvel, immediately cease using adoption as the butt of jokes AND issue a public apology to the adoption community!
    Not a hard position to pull down.

It's a recurring fallacy to take the statement, or even underlying belief, of one character in a narrative and ascribe that position to the creator of the work. If we apply this across the board with The Avengers, we see that Joss Whedon also believes, for example, that "the unspoken truth about humanity is that they crave subjugation" and "there's only one god and he doesn't dress like that."

I'm sure I don't need to explain what this joke actually is, and who we're actually laughing at.

There's a few blog posts from adoptees out there asking for an apology or slamming the film for this line, and they weren't hard to dig up. I'm now going to go looking to see if I can find any other plaintiffs out there, knockingWhedon for other reasons of this ilk. I hope I find some completely barmy ones.

IMPLIEDFACEPALM.jpg

People supporting this have been allowed to adopt children. Or been raised to be this easily offended.

It really is time for humanity to get off the stage and let the cockroaches have their shot at running the world...

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter J Poole; 05-09-2012 at 04:22 AM.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Exceedingly Cool

I think the previous Thor line is really needed to set this in context. He's just been declaring that Loki is is brother and therefore this should all be treated as a family matter, nothing that humans really need bother about.

Wrote the Book on Cool MattMoylan's Avatar

HAHA well...some people are just imbeciles.
    Matt Moylan
    Managing Editor UDON Entertaiment
    Writer Bravoman
    Follow me on Twitter: @Lilformers

Wrote the Book on Cool

There was a news report a while ago, reacting to Portal 2 - when the bad guy is making fun of the character for being adopted (parents didn't love her, and such). At no point did anyone put on their common-sense hat and say "well, it's the bad guy who's saying it."

It was a good joke. Don't we have enough problems in the world to worry about, without having a boycott or petition being launched.
    ------------------------
    http://kandouerik.blogspot.com/
    Comics, Anime, Video Games and More

http://supersentaiimages.blogspot.com/
    Super Sentai (Japanese Power Rangers)

Everyone has an agenda to push, no matter how misguided. Aren't there people in/from India who are supposedly outraged over the scene in the slum on the outskirts of town because they felt like Whedon was basically depicting their entire country in a negative manner?

I get the feeling that if you actually gathered all the people who've been "offended" by this movie in one room, you wouldn't even hit double digits.

There was the story only yesterday about Indian film-makers saying that the Kolkata slum scenes misrepresent India.

I suppose it's inevitable that a film as successful as this will bring all sorts of publicity-grabbing outrage-takery.

I'm outraged that the only major black character is a manipulative spook. And the hot Russian spy is portrayed by an American actress. And the only English actor onscreen is a genocidal maniac. I could go on...

This is even more gay than when the retarded lepers complained about Pirates! Band of Misfits.

And whenever anyone complains albinos aren't evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    I get the feeling that if you actually gathered all the people who've been "offended" by this movie in one room...
    Heh... too easy, even for a man as prone to the occasional cheap shot as I am...

It does, I suppose, illustrate the power of the interwubz that these people can come together and co-depend so easily...

Donkey's years ago, there was some article in the press about adoption, and kids being picked on. It contained the following:

9 year old boy to girl: "You're adopted, so you can't play with us"
    Girl "So? At least I know my parents want me...!"

Best. Putdown. Ever.

Or at least one I've remembered for decades.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Sigh

Really? .. I mean Really?

As an adopted person myself I thought the line was hilarious. People just want to go out of the way to get butt hurt.
    And you sit there and talk revolution
    But can you tell me just who's in command?
    When you tell me the forces we're fighting
    Then I'll join you and gladly make plans
    But for now only our t-shirts cry freedom
    And our voices are gagged by our greed

Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast