Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Bendis Says Buy Guardians Of The Galaxy For Bragging Rights

Administrator

Default Bendis Says Buy Guardians Of The Galaxy For Bragging Rights

Brian Bendis has been sharing with the Diamond retailer website his thoughts about his upcoming Guardians Of The Galaxy comic (thank you so much to the kind souls who forwarded it on)
    Right away in the first issue, and we?ve been hinting at in some of the other books, there?s something going on with the Earth. The Earth is clearly a very valuable jewel in the galaxy and why it is and what it is we?ll be laying out in the very first issues. Because Earth is such a cauldron of mutants, Eternals, Phoenix Forces, Infinity Gems, and all this stuff that?s going on, the other galactic civilizations look at Earth like it?s a madhouse. We look like cavemen with machine guns.

So there are two things they could do; they could either blow it up or they could say, ?New rule. No one?s allowed to touch Earth. We?re poking at it too much. There?s too much interaction. The Skrulls invaded. The Kree do genetic experiments on them. It?s too much. By the time Earth is able to join the cosmic civilization, they?re going to come at us like paranoid barbarians and they?d be completely right. Every five seconds we?re doing something to them. New rule: everybody leaves them alone.? With that rule comes, of course, people who do not follow the rules like Thanos, the Badoon, and the other civilizations that are going to try to make a grand play for the Earth. That?s where the Guardians come in because they get wind that this is happening and the new rule has put a target on the Earth. And the Guardians will be intercepting whatever they can.

...we have a surprise at the end of Age of Ultron that directly affects Guardians of the Galaxy and when people see what that surprise is they will be scrambling to get their hands on this book.
    But Bendis also looked to his own past as a retailer, for why the comic may appeal...
    When I used to be a retailer there was a large section of our customers that wanted to be ahead of the curve. Almost everyone buying comics knows that the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is coming and they are going to want to be able to tell their friends: ?Oh, I've been reading that book for years.?
    Bragging rights folks! Are you onboard yet?

This sounds like some trade federation stuff.
    Evilsmurf likes this.

So the concept is: The powers that be decide that an easily exploitable backwards-culture country with nuclear capability should be left alone. And the plan doesn't go as expected.

Bendis delivers another High-concept masterpiece.
    Evilsmurf, Clavius and Maybeland like this.
    ShadowMax prefers Valiant comics. The choice of the brave.

Guardians of the Galaxy? Oh, I've was reading that book for years when DnA wrote it.

How is Bendis's history with cosmic characters? Marvel Boy, under Morrison was a nihilistic teenager who wrote "F*CK YOU" in New York burning buildings viewable from space. Under Bendis he became the "Protector" who needed to grow up and serve the Government sanctioned Avengers

Still to be fair to Bendis his current X-men is ok so far, so maybe we will get something good, but not holding my breathe.

This has Moon Knight written all over it.

Dean of Cool University Acrid_Gunsmoke's Avatar

Eh, to me it sounds like it would be a fun read. A "popcorn flick" of a comic, as comparisons go.
    Not gonna pay $4 a month for a Bendis book, though. Especially a cosmic one. Won't all that "bendis banter" eat up the oxygen?
    superfriend and mercifulbudah like this.

Bleeding Cool

All the other galactic civilizations collectively decide to leave Earth alone.

Just like all the supervillains in New York collectively decide to make The Hood their leader.

Dude has a lot of faith in the ability of groups to talk shit out. Of course, "groups talking shit out" best describes what he writes anyway.

Zen Master of Cool

pfft been reading since the 90s, always loved the team.

this, this sounds epic so I'm on board, but I don't understand why Marvel has to do one big story after another. Is it too much to ask for one year without an event?

Exceedingly Cool

"But Bendis also looked to his own past as a retailer in Chicago"

?????
    When? Where?
    I don't recall ever hearing that before.

Zen Master of Cool

…we have a surprise at the end of Age of Ultron that directly affects Guardians of the Galaxy and when people see what that surprise is they will be scrambling to get their hands on this book.
    Let me guess: Ultron takes over the Kree Empire!

Oh, wait...

Nevermind...
    Oh come on! You're going to kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?!?
    - Dr. Venture, Past Tense, The Venture Brothers

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast