Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Is The Beast A Very Silly Atheist?

Administrator

Default Is The Beast A Very Silly Atheist?

The case of atheism is a practiced and oft repeated one. I've never been totally convinced myself, as I still have an inability to explain consciousness in any other way than the spiritual that makes any sense to me, but I doubt I'm going to be able to convince others of that. I'm not going to duel with dualism here.

In the new All New X-Men however, Beast makes his position on the matter clear. Except it's complete nonsense. Not for anyone reading the book, but for anyone living in the Marvel Universe.

This is a man who has served on the Avengers with Thor, God Of Thunder

And even if his godlike status can be dismessed as a powerful alien race, he's also served with Valkyrie...

Who can transport people back and forth from the land of the dead. Even if Beast doesn't believe it exists,

He's had his soul cleansed by Illyana's sword. Even if he's not meant to have a soul.

And he's seen New York infected by demons from Hell. Even though there isn't meant to be a hell.

Basically the only logical scientific position to take in the Marvel Universe is that there is an afterlife. And he should perform experiments there to understand its true nature.

Unless of course, Marvel NOW! was a reboot after all and all the above never actually happened...

Banned

Damn that's a sweet Simonson cover
    _OM_, uz000, Blackfist and 2 others like this.

Wrote the Book on Cool TampaDave's Avatar

Valid points. Even worse with Mr. Terrific in the JSA, how can you be an atheist, when one of your teammates is the Spectre?

Dean of Cool University Maniacmatt's Avatar

Yeah, having people blatantly declare their atheism in superhero universes always bothers me. There's so much illogical random shit and nearly omnipotent beings all over the place, it would be very hard to make a case for there being no god or afterlife. And this is coming from an atheist.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Exceedingly Cool

Or maybe he doesn't consider any of those things to be "spiritual" since he has interacted with them in the same way he has time travelers, aliens and beings from another dimension. In the same issue he tells Jean Grey that she has died a few times. Clearly in the Marvel Universe death means something different. Doesn't mean he has to believe in the existence of a one true god or even have to believe that someone like Thor is actually a god in that sense.

In fact the more I think about it I think Beast having contact with all of the above mentioned things might lead a scientifically minded person to believe less in the notion of heaven and hell as it is commonly thought of.
    die-yng, _OM_, KyleGarret and 10 others like this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post

The case of atheism is a practiced and oft repeated one. I've never been totally convinced myself, as I still have an inability to explain consciousness in any other way than the spiritual that makes any sense to me, but I doubt I've going to be able to convince others of that.
    You're overrating the illusory effects of consciousness somewhat, I'm afraid. The brain is a big computer. An AI could think it's "real" in just the same way we do.

I'm surprised that there isn't a definitive answer as to whether or not there's an afterlife in the Marvel comics, though. You certainly know where you stand with DC.
    twincast likes this.

Banned

Look, I'm no Marvel completist - but couldn't Ghost Rider come up to Beast and say, "Dude, you're wrong"
    adgy, Blackfist, Cavemold and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Damn that's a sweet Simonson cover
    Yes it really is. It just pops out at you as are reading the article. I still don't understand why he doesn't do more major superhero work? He did some Avengers with Bendis recently, but I'm surprised publishers don't use him more. The man is still as good as he ever was.

Regarding Beast, maybe he just considers all the hells he has visited to be alternate dimensions where people go who aren't really fully dead?

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

Retcon HO!

Beast_InfCru_1.jpg
    _OM_, Randy Golden, adgy and 2 others like this.

Mario Di Giacomo

Wrote the Book on Cool

And this is why Reed Richards and Victor von Doom are the smartest men in the Marvel Universe: they're smart enough to deduce that the afterlife exists and try to experiment on it.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast