Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter David, X-Factor And Thinking Through The Consequences

Administrator

Default Peter David, X-Factor And Thinking Through The Consequences

So there's been a lot of fuss about Amazing Spider-Man #700.

But right now I want to look at another Marvel Comic. Male teleporter Pip found himself recently inside Monet's body in X-Factor #248, written by Peter David (in our thoughts and prayers, and this is a good excuse to celebrate his work). And he's rather lighthearted about the situation...Other people also see the humour... well some of them.

Shatterstar lays it out.

So it that it? We all had a laugh, then got on with things? Not quite, In X-Factor #249, there are... consequences.

Now Dan Slott, author of Amazing Spider-Man #700 and the upcoming Superior Spider-Man is a similar writer to Peter David, with similar sensibilities. He's already written a comic for Marvel that specifically looked at the real world legal and moral implications of superheroic fantasical situations. Whatever happens in Superior Spider-Man #2, whatever we thought might have been about to happen in Amazing Spider-Man #700, there will be consequences...

Keep stirring the pot Rich!
    The Comics Ticker- my new comics blog

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/mattspatola/venger-web-sig22222.jpg

Follow me on: Twitter l Facebook l Email me l The Venger Blog

Shame on you, you're using Peter David's health condition to make a point...
    All your diatribes on the topic of rape or not rape becoming more and more ridiculous. Comics are not the real world, characters got super-powers, they die and come back to life, travel in time and space, and some time they swipe mind...
    ASM 700 and Superior Spider-man are here to establish a new plot point: Doc ock is in the body of Peter Parker and he got his memory and perhaps his sense of morality. It's not a real world situation, why do you want to make this a legal issue?
    I read all your exchanges with wacker on twitter, and i don't see what you want to prove anymore. SW is telling you this is a story, enjoy it or not, but don't try to rewrite it. You think the situation between Doc Ock and MJ is weird and abusive, ok we've got it. Slott is well aware of that too, he is the man who wrote it, so let him tell his story, and the situation will be adressed. It will probably be an important story element, because the relation between Peter and MJ is a great part of the spider-man mythos.
    It seems like your only grief is you think you're thinking of something that Slott has not considered to write. Wait and see or write for marvel.

Exceedingly Cool

So PAD gets the next issue to deal with the consequences but with Slott you have to stir the shit now? And tying it to an article about PAD is both click whoring at it's worst and trying to stir again the trolls... which you insist you don't. It's totally unnecessary. Anyway, you don't read the forums so you wouldn't know what goes on....

I think these are valid points to bring up, personally. While the settings and characters are fantastical, stories and myths have always been used to pass down accumulated wisdom from one generation to another, even while entertaining at the same time. So to presume that the situations that occur within stories don't matter because they're only stories is to do an injustice against the true purpose of stories (insert semi-obligatory Joseph Campbell or Walter Wangrin reference here ;-).

On the other hand, I make no claim about how newspaper or web site headlines attract readers, or how the choice of specific words such as "rape" (used in context to Amazing Spider-Man #700) affect traffic to your web site.

Regardless, I'm still in favor of open discussion and analysis about our shared pastime. :-)

Exceedingly Cool

Rich is obsessed with the sex lives of comic book characters.

Next, if Stan Lee were to die or get sick

"Stan Lee health crisis! Now how about the tie in to the rape of MJ by doc ock since he created the two?"

Wrote the Book on Cool

There's a good scene after the one you posted, Rich, where Monet reads the rest of the team the riot act, pointing out that this was a very traumatic thing for her because she'd been made a prisoner in her own body before (long story, it's in her Wikipedia entry for those who are interested).

Quote Originally Posted by vr101 View Post
    Shame on you, you're using Peter David's health condition to make a point...
    Have to agree totally, anybody out there heard any rumours about 'Bleeding Cool' and those associated with it getting a few backhanders, allegedly of course, from a certain Publisher to plug by any means possible, the pile of cr@p that is Spidey #700?

Just wondering.

Consultant of Cool

Maybe we could wait and see where this takes us, rather than analyzing stories that haven't even happened yet?

Where's the joy Rich? Remember when comics were fun and we could just read a story and see where it takes us rather than ALWAYS applying "real world logic" to every goddamn thing?

Here's some real world logic for you:
    - When you get bitten by a radioactive spider, you get skin irritation and probably end up with cancer.
    - If you were exposed to high levels of radiation (be they gamma radiation or cosmic radiation), you get cancer and die.
    - A millionaire playboy philanthropist who adopted a series of young boys, while dressing up as a costumed adventurer and endangered those boys by encouraging them to adventure alongside of him, would end up in jail for the rest of his life and his children would be on every daytime talk show for the next two sweeps weeks, before being turned into a major motion picture, likely starring Christian Bale, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Jesse Eisenberg, and Chandler Riggs.
    - The closest real world analogue to Tony Stark died of pancreatic cancer in October 2011.

Regardless, I think your little Amazing Spider-Man real world consequences story is pretty played out. Hopefully you have gotten it out of your system by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupteddragon View Post
    Rich is obsessed with the sex lives of comic book characters.
    Rich is Brody...

気持ち悪い

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast