Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Is That An All New Look For The Beast? (Potential All New X-Men Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAlley View Post
    **SPOILER**

It is the current incarnation of Hank "Beast" McCoy after the events of All New X-Men #5.
    ...Damn. Could it be too fracking much to ask for George Perez' "Furry Beast" to make a comeback? The "Tony the Tiger" look was lame enough as it was, and at the rate they're going he'll be a purple gorilla and will be featured on every X-Book cover that doesn't have Wolverine on it in hopes of getting better sales.

[shakes head in total dismay]
    -------

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeland View Post
    Wow they did firebomb everything Morrison wrote.
    And nothing of value was lost.

Oh yeah, I said it.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

Looks like a compromise between the far superior cat-like Beast and the rather crap looking ape-Beast of old (yeah, I said it, never was a fan of the old look, and the character became miles more interesting to me when they emphasised his battle between the animal and the intellect (also, everything Grant Morrison did was amazing, and one of the biggest mistakes Marvel ever made was trying to destroy all he did after he left)).

I think it could work, so I'm looking forward to seeing it properly.

Wrote the Book on Cool

It always felt weird reading comics where a cute kitty-cat man was getting punched in the face all the time. Call me crazy, but I don't like seeing kitties getting beaten up on a regular basis. apes getting punched, I don't have a problem with.

And as for Morrison's stuff getting un-done---well, yeah, of course it was. His storytelling is so specific to him that anyone attempting to follow him is only going to come off as a bad clone. I liked his X-Men run more-or-less, but especially with Frank Quitely drawing it, the stuff had a distinctly British feel that never quite felt right for the book, or even Marvel in general. He's much better off at DC or doing his own stuff, where that style fits a little better. Stories like Riot At Xavier's, what with their public school kids in short pants going all Malcolm McDowell in "If", really didn't feel like they were taking place in America at all. Not that that's necessarily bad, but I don't know---for Marvel it just feels off.

VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    Sidebar: how does someone with such a cool username & avatar theme come across as a monumental toolbox so often?
    The reason for both: I am more clever than you. I am now going to attempt to temper the juvenile arrogance of that statement with a jocular emoticon.

Quote Originally Posted by joeglass View Post
    Looks like a compromise between the far superior cat-like Beast and the rather crap looking ape-Beast of old (yeah, I said it, never was a fan of the old look, and the character became miles more interesting to me when they emphasised his battle between the animal and the intellect (also, everything Grant Morrison did was amazing, and one of the biggest mistakes Marvel ever made was trying to destroy all he did after he left)).

I think it could work, so I'm looking forward to seeing it properly.
    When in recent history has Hank battled with his animal intincts and his intelligence? Since he bacame Cat-Beast he mainly just broods in the background instead of being the confident wisecracking flirt he has been since he first got grips on his first mutation.
    Last edited by Aquafan; 12-30-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: changed ? into .

Wrote the Book on Cool Somebody's Avatar

Looks like a compromise between the far superior cat-like Beast and the rather crap looking ape-Beast of old
    And, again, pretending there's "a cat-like" Beast design. These are all technically cat-like Beast:

One is a weird lion-man with digitigrade legs and paws. One is "ape Beast" with a persian cat head. One is "ape Beast" with a cleft lip. One is distinctly ursine. And one is some bizarre bearded dragon-man. There is no feature shared by those designs, except colour, that is not also shared with... say... Sasquatch.

Someone compared it to Spider-Man's lenses... this is more like people just drawing the Ben Reilly costume in an issue continued directly from the original costume (with the closed-legs spider-logo, not the post-80s spread legs version). With six arms.

also, everything Grant Morrison did was amazing,...
    Ah, critical thought. Go wash yer Beast:
    Last edited by Somebody; 12-30-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Sanders' Dragon, horse... point was that it isn't anything like *a*, let alone *the* standard "cat-like" Beast

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

The SWORD vesrion of Beast was actually based on a dragon. A PARTICULAR (Great Red) Dragon:

Mario Di Giacomo

Wrote the Book on Cool Somebody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareofgeek View Post
    The SWORD vesrion of Beast was actually based on a dragon. A PARTICULAR (Great Red) Dragon.
    Fair enough - the point isn't what it IS, but what it ISN'T (i.e., that it isn't even based on any sort of feline, let alone something resembling a standard basis for a Thundercat Beast design).
    Last edited by Somebody; 12-30-2012 at 12:09 PM.

I saw a sneak peak and that is Beast you guys. He mutates even more into abominable Beast.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast