Page 45 of 90 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Like Tree1142Likes

Thread: Talking With Steve Wacker About... You Know What

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Might be a lot of traffic, the links aren't working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    Might be a lot of traffic, the links aren't working for me.
    Yeah, it started happening right after the story landed on Twitter.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I'm not going to read through 45 pages of this, and I'm sure my point was already raised elsewhere but...

I don't understand why Steve Wacker constantly dismisses all critics as internet trolls who get "faux-outraged" -- but then still wastes his time addressing them like they're valid. Either they're valid criticisms or they're not, but you can't have over 1000 posts constantly telling everyone that their points are not even valid.

And yeah Rich has done some shameless acts in the name of getting clicks, but I don't think he asked Wacker anything that was out of line in this specific conversation. However it read like Wacker was deflecting anything Rich was asking and instead focused on how Rich's reputation invalidated any points he might be trying to make.

If you want Marvel to address "Real world" issues, then you can't conveniently cherry pick which real world issues the audience responds to.
    Last edited by Hi_HorseLarnick; 12-30-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    Xofer and STFmaryville like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wacker View Post
    SW

PS: What's "More That Meets The Eye"?
    It's one of the 3 IDW Transformers comic. There's TRANSFORMERS:MORE THEN MEETS THE EYE, TRANSFORMERS:ROBOTS IN DISGUISE,and TRANSFORMERS:REGENERATION.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMic View Post
    Oh man. I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Oh man. I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.
    Amen on that one.... Gods, what a crap way to end the year... Fingers crossed for PAD and family...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

recently a friend of my family had a Stroke, it's been a whole month now his speech is relatively back to normal, i hope for the best
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Very Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    It's one of the 3 IDW Transformers comic. There's TRANSFORMERS:MORE THEN MEETS THE EYE, TRANSFORMERS:ROBOTS IN DISGUISE,and TRANSFORMERS:REGENERATION.
    More Than Meets The Eye also proves that it doesn't matter what a comic is about: a good writer can make any type of story fun, entertaining and thought-provoking. And MTMTE is one of the best comic series currently out there, IMHO. It has it all: intricate plot, good characters, humour, and stories that deliver on a monthly issue as well as a series basis. Oh yeah, and it has giant robots from outer space, if that is your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmarketbraincandy View Post
    Ugh, male privilege.
    You know, in the real world when talking about laws and the interpersonal relationships of human beings, privilege is an important point to talk about. It informs decisions and outlooks.

However, when pointing out that in a fictional world, no matter what anyone's personal experience it is, it's still a fictional world where no one actually gets hurt well, I can't help but think of this.

Go to the 48:35 mark for the relevant story.

In a nutshell: Penn and Teller have done a drowning trick in the past and at one show, a woman was very upset during it and got up and left. Penn noticed and looked for her and ended up asking a security guard about her during the intermission. And he explained that she had told him (after being asked if she was okay) that she had a drowning in her family and she's claustrophobic and terrified of drowning, so it upset her. The guard offered her a refund and condolences and her response was, "this has nothing to do with Penn & Teller, this has nothing to do with the crowd. They're having a great time. They can't write everything for my problems. This has to do with me, it's my problem, and I'm going to go back in after the trick is done and enjoy the rest of the show."

Dan Slott, Marvel, Image, or anyone else has no responsibility to write only about the things that any individual wants them to write (or not write) about. And considering it's simple fiction and no one actually gets hurt, it is childish to expect them to do so. If one finds a subject objectionable, don't purchase it and move on with your life.

Anything less is foolish and deserves to be treated as such.

Personally, I think this whole thinking about Doc Ock about raping anyone because he's wearing Peter's skin is a matter of people with too much time on their hands. It's fiction, it's escapism. Spend all this time that one would getting outraged by doing something productive, like donating time or money to battered women shelters or any number of groups that help rape victims.
    "If you find 'I think you're wrong' offensive, there's not much I can tell you. Except that you are, in fact, wrong."
    Reminder: There are roughly 313,000,000 people in the United States. There are roughly 2,000 Direct Market Comic Shops in the United States. That means there is 1 comic shop for every 156,500 people in America.
    Free Entertainment: JoePanc l The Canny Cthulhu Holmes l 24
    Paid Entertainment: Though My Chains Be Forged

Wrote the Book on Cool

Except fiction isn't divorced from reality. If it was it would be about weird geometric shapes doing unthinkable things. It isn't, it corresponds with the real world and produces analogous situations. These produce feelings and emotions in people, based on their life experience.

My only real issues are 1) Wacker trying to shout people down 2) how utterly stupid Mary Jane has already been written for this to work. She knows what kind of world they live in. She knows the Chameleon exists. Peterpus is acting too oddly not to set off alarm bells. It's bad writing, but bad writing that makes the female lead look like a dumbfuck. That scene is there to set up Peterpus as a sexual prospect, nothing else.
    Jipp and Xofer like this.

Page 45 of 90 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast