Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The Underordered Avenging Spider-Man #15.1

Administrator

Default The Underordered Avenging Spider-Man #15.1

Peter S. Svensson writes without spoilers for Bleeding Cool.

There isn't a comic shop on the planet which ordered enough copies of Avenging Spider-Man #15.1. This isn't entirely due to retailers being a cowardly, superstitious lot who only order the bare minimum of titles they can guarantee sales for. Marvel solicited the book as "Coinciding with the end of Amazing Spider-Man, a look back at the greatest conflict in comics history: Spider-Man vs. Doctor Octopus!" Which implied that this was a flashback issue, recapping Spidey vs Doc Ock battles of yore.

That isn't the case at all. Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 is the epilogue to Amazing Spider-Man #700. It is also the prologue to Superior Spider-Man #1, setting up the status quo and character motivations for that title. It's a crucial part of the Spider-Man storyline, and one that got horribly underordered because no one realized just what it was going to entail. [Bleeding Cool did! - Self-Plugging Rich] It turns out retailers will order more of an event than a flashback issue, no matter how fun said flashback issue may be. People interested in reading the issue are advised to contact your Friendly Neighborhood Comic Retailer and ask them to set a copy asidefor you, because otherwise you will miss out, and a second printing is only going to hit retailers on January 30th. Avenging Spider-Man #15.1, as well as Amazing Spider-Man #700 have a release date of December 26th.

TGC

Even though I know it's not the case, I kind of wish that this book reset the status quo changing thing done at the end of Amazing 700 just to watch everyone who hates that books ending freak out over how this undoes that.

cool cover though
    TGC and divinesorrow like this.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Yeah sure, and none of my local retailers ordered enough of the Brubaker Fear Itself prologue book like you told us months ago, except they did. Nobody ordered enough ASM #698s, except they're still sitting there unsold, etc etc.

This is publicity, is all it is.

Again, so glad that I read Avenging Spider-Man digitally, so whether there is a "shortage" or not doesn't effect me.

Consultant of Cool

Itís a crucial part of the Spider-Man storyline, and one that got horribly underordered because no one realized just what it was going to entail.
    Maybe people just figured out they wouldn't like what was coming, and it was ordered the right amount. Or possibly too much, considering the spoilers.
    MicroZone likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

The LCS I go to ordered their normal numbers of Amazing Spiderman and still have plenty remaining. Its not like a number of the major DC issues where there were stories in the news and it drew some people off the streets. Here no one but those already picking up the spidey books care. I'm sorry but Dan Slott isn't all he thinks he is and his story is average at best.

Cool

My LCS also has a ton of copies of ASM 698 and 699. Heck, I don't even see 698 selling that high on Ebay. Regardless, I still called my LCS last week to reserve AVSM 15.1 just incase.

If it is really a good story they do an omnibus edition about it anyway.

I don't see how this is a under-ordered issue, no matter how plot-relevant it is.
    It's a point(less) issue from a secondary book, I'll be surprised if it sells significantly more that what AvSM usually sells.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast