Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree242Likes

Thread: Four Ways Image Make Marvel Look Bad

Administrator

Default Four Ways Image Make Marvel Look Bad

Leif Kendall writes for Bleeding Cool;

Opening a Marvel comic book is, all too often, a disappointment. Even when the story is riveting and the art stunning, the product is cluttered with ads and Marvel marketing messages and printed on paper that feels like it was made to be recycled, not treasured. Marvel comic books might seem adequate, until you pick up something by Image. Image seem to care more about their art. Image print stunning covers on thick paper, they keep advertising away from the story and they often do it all for less than the cost of Marvel comics.

Let?s consider the evidence:

1: Image let their iconic covers breathe

Marvel like to remind you of their latest initiative or technology, or whatever is big in the minds of the marketing department. So the cover is littered with crud. Any impact of the great art is muted by promotions and additional logos.

In fairness, Marvel still do produce some iconic covers ? such as the recent first issues of Daredevil and Hawkeye.

2: Image print quality stories on quality paper

Marvel prefer to use flimsy paper for their comics. Perhaps Marvel should be commended for saving trees, but I can?t help thinking that Marvel are just maximising their profits by using cheaper stock.

Image use quality papers that do justice to the art, and give weight to the story.

3: Image don?t distract you with ads.

Marvel scatter ads throughout their stories. Just as you become immersed in the story, Marvel snap you out of it with a giant photo of a smirking goon eating instant pizza. Other ads mimic the appearance of comic books, so for a nanosecond you think the story is continued, only to realise you?re reading about pizza, or chewing gum.

If you pay $3.99 for a Marvel comic book, why do Marvel also need to make money from advertising? You wouldn?t pay for a movie on DVD and put up with ads in the middle of the picture. You wouldn?t tolerate ads inserted into the middle of a new novel. So why do Marvel think it?s okay to interrupt their stories with full-page ads? Why does a company with a group revenue of $40 billion need to squeeze those extra dollars out of their readers? Is it pure greed? You?d think a company owned by the Walt Disney Corporation could afford to create a better experience for their audiences. But again, I suspect the board is more concerned with the bottom line.

4: Image give you more, for less

In addition to better quality paper, ad-free art and gorgeous covers, Image comics cost less. Marvel comics are mostly $3.99. Many Image comics are $2.99 ? although it seems their prices are going up. Marvel charge you more for a lesser experience. Between the great paper, the dedication to telling stories well and the excellent value, Image Comics have a lot to be proud of. I just hope that Marvel take notice.

I should point out that many of the criticisms levelled at Marvel could be aimed at DC too ? I?m just less familiar with their output.

What do you think? Do you think Marvel give you a good deal? Do you feel satisfied with Marvel comics? Or do you get frustrated by the constant advertising and high prices?

Yep, Image seems to have more quantity of comic per book than Marvel. Quality is subjective, but I prefer Image, because Marvel stories seem to live one mega event to the next, instead of telling good stories without the hype. YMMV.

Way Cool

Wow, Marvel. You're really letting yourself go, aren't ya? Even being beaten by a company that was very inferior to you before, and since a long time they're showing that comics are comics, not ad magazines with panels and dialogue globes in them. What do you have to say of it, Marvel? And you, DC? Last time I checked, I always wander through a book and it cuts my surprise to something because and ad suddenly pop out.

Cool

what marvel and dc do to their covers (green arrow banners?) is gawdawful. and why not - at least - put all the advertisements in the back, so they don't interrupt the flow of the narrative?

Dean of Cool University

Marvel offers FREE digital copy on the $3.99 books. Image does NOT.

As for advertising, who cares?

Consultant of Cool

OMG, is there breast feeding on that cover? I'm offended!

Quote Originally Posted by acnepirate View Post
    what marvel and dc do to their covers (green arrow banners?) is gawdawful. and why not - at least - put all the advertisements in the back, so they don't interrupt the flow of the narrative?
    Green Lantern and Arrow banners on Vertigo books!
    Comic Book DB - Strange Adventures (2011) #1
    Comic Book DB - Punk Rock Jesus (2012) #4

However, Batwoman #14 had all its ads in the back (mostly because of JH Williams III's two page spreads). That was nice.
    Last edited by Uthor; 12-19-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    saidestroyer likes this.

Exceedingly Cool

Marvel comics are excrement.
    tybird, SAMURAI36 and cmichaelhall like this.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TommyRenob View Post
    Marvel comics are excrement.
    That's a shitty thing to say.

~R

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ewokpelts View Post
    Marvel offers FREE digital copy on the $3.99 books. Image does NOT.

As for advertising, who cares?
    So they are actually charging a dollar for the digital comic.

i dont see your point about the covers. Marvel's covers are all very clean, they only have the logo and the creator credits on top of the art, everything else goes to that red banner at the bottom of the page. Completely non-intrusive

DC on the other hand...
    Scott Mateo likes this.
    Dr. Manolis Vamvounis
    Leave Your Spandex @t the Door
    Twitter: @theComicsGreek

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast