Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Cancer Comes To Marvel Comics?

Administrator

Default Cancer Comes To Marvel Comics?

Earlier this year, Marvel teamed up with Komen For The Cure, an organisation that promotes the awareness of cancer - how to check for it, how to treat it. A series of ads saw Tony Stark testing himself for breast cancer, and a series of variant covers featured the Komen brand.

It seems it didn't stop there.

I am told by a source that a prominent Marvel superheroine will be contracting cancer in a storyline later this year. I have been given four potential names, though not who the chosen character will be. They are Captain Marvel, Red She Hulk, Invisible Woman and Rogue.

The former would seem the most obvious, in that the original Captain Mar-Vell died of cancer. Red She-Hulk is, in many ways, a living cancer, in that the state of Hulks has been compared to a cancerous form.

Marvel recently ran the One Month To Live comic in which a man gains superheroic powers that also trigger a terminal cancer

Exceedingly Cool

Didn't Firestar have cancer and had it cured or something?
    Peter J Poole likes this.

Dean of Cool University Captain13's Avatar

Invisible Woman makes sense
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

My name is John Stewart. I'm an architect by trade
    and a defender of the universe by appointment.
    It's a pleasure to meet you.

Way Cool

I don't like Carol having cancer due to Mar-vell dying from it and then that supporting character in her book has cancer as well.
    die-yng and Mad_Man_Moon like this.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Captain Marvel is most obvious? Shouldn't she be the least obvious, especially because her predecessor died of cancer? It would be extremely unimaginative to just do that once again.
    Oh... it's Marvel we are talking about... so, maybe not.
    Blade X and DarthEwok like this.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by bingbangboom View Post
    Yes, and so did Diamond Lil during Fabian Nicieza's all to brief (and IMO, underrated and excellent) run on ALPHA FLIGHT back in the 90's. Lil discovered a lump in her breast, but the tumor was benign.
    die-yng likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool Somebody's Avatar

Well, Reed's problem in F4 is described as "cancerous", and he suspects the other three have the same condition. That strongly implies an answer, doesn't it?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Last I remember is it was in remission and it was due to her own powers (which is odd considering how most mutant powers have a built in immunity to whatever power they have but 'eh whateva). That and waaay back when they joined the Avengers she got a suit that helped siphon the radiation.

I think Invisible Woman will be the one. Captain Marvel is to much of a obvious choice, Red She-Hulk a possibility I guess but with the Gamma Radiation mostly curing any disease's it would be a stretch, Rogue if not for Legacy being canceled/relaunched would be a top pick (since it was pretty much her book) but with her not having a main book or a main feature of one I highly doubt it.

Zen Master of Cool

No, her powers were making it so she was infertile and she wasn't able to build up an immunity to it. So Hank Pym made modifications to her outfit and fixed her.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Re: Red She Hulk....

I'm trying to remember, but I think Peter David in his Hulk novel touched on the idea of the gamma irradiated body of the Hulk and the possible health risks it posed. I would think she'd be the most likely to trigger it, but not suffer from it....

...is it just me, or is this discussion and speculation just a tad morbid?
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast