Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited Comes To iPad And IPhone

Administrator

Default Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited Comes To iPad And IPhone

It's still just in beta. But it's on its way, Marvel's all-you-can-eat digital service, the Marvel DCU, to be available on Apple devices such as the iPad, iPhone and iTouch, now that Flash is no longer needed...

Dean of Cool University

Great first step, now it needs to come to Android
    johncage1000 and marveldcman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    Great first step, now it needs to come to Android
    Weird thing is it says "through your mobile browser". If this is the case there is no reason it wouldn't be on Android (or W8).
    marveldcman and cjones77 like this.
    ComicBookRealm.com - We already pay too much for comics...why pay to keep track of them?

Zen Master of Cool

it's about fucking time!
    Howard and marveldcman like this.

Way Cool

Is the beta only available to existing subscribers? I don't see the option for a new sign up.
    cjones77 likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I have no interest unless I can store content locally on my tablet so I can read them off line.
    cjones77 likes this.

Very Cool

Default This is something that might bring me back to comics...

I will definitely want to try this out. I've not bought much of anything on Comixology because I find the price too high, and for something like the Marvel or DC universe, you'd want to be following lots of titles, going as far back on some stuff as you can, trying things out. An all-you-can-eat subscription is very appealing to me for that.

As far as the technology behind it, we'll see how well the reader works on my ancient iPad first gen, which has a lot less RAM than newer versions of the tablet, and is locked in at version 5.x of iOS, since 6.0 requires more powerful hardware.
    saidestroyer likes this.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SirFlibble View Post
    I have no interest unless I can store content locally on my tablet so I can read them off line.
    Whereas I'm never offline, so that's not a problem for me. And this is just a reading service, so it's no surprise you can't download the comics. This is more of a streaming service like Netflix.

I took advantage of the offer for a free 30 days on Marvel's web site. I found the full page and two-page view looks great on a retina iPad, especially with a browser with a full-screen view. However, the panel by panel view in the beta delivers panels too small to be of any use on the iPad or iPhone. And while the site runs on the iPhone, the pages are too small to enjoy. But I'm definitely enjoying catching up on some comics on the iPad. $5-10 a month is really cheap, and you can't beat a free month. You don't even have to give a credit card when signing up for a free 30 days, and they say it won't auto renew.

Exceedingly Cool

I subscribed last year and read them on my iPad via the Splashtop app which essentially let me view them from my computer screen on my ipad. It was okay but not a great experience so just last week I cancelled my subscription which is due to expire at the end of Dec. I'll definitely consider resubscribing with this news. I'll probably wait for a sign up promo though...they often discount the service around the holidays.

Exceedingly Cool

I'll echo the "about time" sentiments. I let my sub lapse this year after signing up day one because I was no longer interested in spending money on comics I couldn't read in bed/on lunch at work/etc. if it's still $60 per year I will rest scribe after Christmas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast