Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" About To Make Avi Arad's Favorite Spider-Man Cover One Of The Most Valuable Pieces Of Original Art Ever?

Default Is "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" About To Make Avi Arad's Favorite Spider-Man Cover One Of The Most Valuable Pieces Of Original Art Ever?

It's been a good couple of years for original art sales, but the sale of the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #121 is big even by the lofty standards of the time. The Heritage auction blurb nails down the importance of this 1973 issue by Gerry Conway and Gil Kane, with cover by John Romita Sr.: "Some say the death of Gwen Stacy marked the end of the Silver Age of comics. 'This was the end of innocence for comics... it remains one of the most potent stories ever published,' was Arnold Blumberg's comment in?*Comic Book Marketplace."

Combine that with the high regard that art collectors have for John Romita Spider-Man covers in general, and the potential for some very well-heeled bidders, and you've got the makings of a spirited auction.

Back in June, Avi Arad, founder of Marvel Studios and a producer on all the Spider-Man films, told Hero Complex that this was his favorite Spider-Man cover:
    My favorite cover is ?The Night Gwen Stacy Died.? This is a classic story where our hero is doing all the right things, willing to jeopardize himself, and give his life for justice, yet, inevitably, creates a complication and danger to people around him. He?s just a boy. He cannot anticipate all the dangers that come with the territory. Peter and Spider-Man have to learn that the hard way. The loss of the most beloved girl in his life will take away his ability to become comfortable with relationships, always thinking about the death of Uncle Ben and the night Gwen Stacy died.
    Bidding on the Heritage auction of the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #121 by John Romita Sr. begins on February 2, and the live auction takes place on February 21.

Snappy headlines are your friend ...

Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Snappy headlines are your friend ...
    Bizarre headline I agree.

Also, value does not mean worth. Value is intrinsic and worth is extrinsic...somehow these definitions slipped the author's mind when writing the headline.

Dean of Cool University Stefan Offenberg's Avatar

Frankly, 122 is the better cover, so I wonder if that's what Arad was actually referring to...

121 is a better cover than 122

I like how Arad says it's his favorite cover - then goes on to talk NOTHING about the cover. But, I knew Arad was a moron long ago

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post

I like how Arad says it's his favorite cover - then goes on to talk NOTHING about the cover. But, I knew Arad was a moron long ago
    Slow clap for the lazy excuse to insult someone.
    Bangladesh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    Good grief, Spidey! Put down the corpse already and defend yourself!

Dean of Cool University Stefan Offenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    In what way?

It makes use of the 'many faces on one cover' technique, done on Amazing Spider-Man #100, yet improves upon it by putting boxes around the faces, making them stand out. The swinging Spidey is also an improvement from the Amazing Spider-Man #100 cover.

122, while iconic for Spidey fans, is really just a straight-ahead, dynamic action scene. 121 is more of an experiment, and a successful one, in graphic art - juxtaposing cast members' heads versus a figure in motion, so on
    Mart likes this.

Good grief, Spidey! Put down the corpse already and defend yourself!
    I could actually imagine a scenario where Gwen's corpse would be used to bludgeon the Goblin repeatedly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast