Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why You Should Not Despair At Amazing Spider-Man #698 (SPOILERS)

Administrator

Default Why You Should Not Despair At Amazing Spider-Man #698 (SPOILERS)

The following article will act as if you have read Amazing Spider-Man #698. If you have not, you may want to look elsewhere, until you have. I think it's a really clever comic and well worth the recommendation. But some of you are going to have real problems with it. And I'm going to explore those - and why this could be a real opportunity for the comic.

From here on, there are spoilers. Massive, huge spoilers.

Okay, the new Amazing Spider-Man #698 has a very clever structure, that insists you reread the comic upon completion, to give you a different experience. Knowing that Otto Octavius has switched bodies with Peter Parker - though somehow retaining Parker's memories - suddenly gives a different perspective to the scenes we have seen, referring to Aunt May as "that dear sweet woman" and the overall overexposition and stylised thought patterns throughout.

The comic really rubs your nose in it, promising a reunion between Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker and it seems if solicitations are to be believed, succeeding.

But it's the death of Spider-Man, or rather Peter Parker inside Otto's body, that gives the book its real hit. Combined with the fact that we know the book is relaunching as Superior Spider-Man in January, with a non-Peter Parker Spider-Man, lets us know that this is the way things are going to be for a while. No sudden next-week-it-all-gets-better option. This is the way things are. And writer Dan Slott has gone into hiding.

Rage rage rage rage, yes?

Look, Spider-Man is a Marvel franchise, there's more films to come, animated series that need to tie up on some level, it is very likely that things will go back. We don't know how the switch happened, but technical or mystical there are plenty of outs. Did Peter Parker back himself up? Will his memories rebel against Otto? Plenty of options.

But for now, and for the foreseeable future, we have a real villain being given a second chance to be a hero. And it's a life he seems to be embracing. Trying to be a better man, despite the circumstances, and even living up to Peter Parker's legacy as a hero? I'd read that. And it looks like I might have the chance.

Indeed, if Otto succeeds as reforming himself, maybe he'll want to give up his life to save Peter's. Like I said, plenty of options.

These kind of stories are usually reset after one or two issues. This time it gets to breathe a bit. Let's join them for the ride...

Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Read it this morning and certainly wasn't expecting that... I imagine Dan Slott is already receiving death threats?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    These kind of stories are usually reset after one or two issues. This time it gets to breathe a bit. Let's join them for the ride...
    So does that mean Otto is indeed the Superior Spider-Man? Because there are still two more issues to go and someone else may switch Peter's body with him.

Consultant of Cool

Comics fandom is so utterly beyond me sometimes. I can't understand at all why anyone would "rage" about this. Are some people so *stupid* as to think Peter has died for good and that Otto has permanently taken his place? If they are NOT that stupid, then what is there to rage about? I'm not even 100% convinced that Otto is going to for-sure be the non-Peter Spidey in "Superor". Once you bring mind-swappery into it, there's a bajillion routes this could go. I never doubted Slott, and I'm not going to start now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMcFeely View Post
    Comics fandom is so utterly beyond me sometimes. I can't understand at all why anyone would "rage" about this. Are some people so *stupid* as to think Peter has died for good and that Otto has permanently taken his place? If they are NOT that stupid, then what is there to rage about? I'm not even 100% convinced that Otto is going to for-sure be the non-Peter Spidey in "Superor". Once you bring mind-swappery into it, there's a bajillion routes this could go. I never doubted Slott, and I'm not going to start now.
    They ARE that stupid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    So does that mean Otto is indeed the Superior Spider-Man? Because there are still two more issues to go and someone else may switch Peter's body with him.
    I don't think he will. ASM still ha a whopping 2 issues left, and from what it looks from the cover of 699, Spidey and Doc Ock are going to fight a bit. If Otto would be the Superior Spider-Man, it would make more sense for the body switching to happen in 700 where there are no more ASM issues left for things to happen.

My money is on that Peter clones himself or something in the next 2 issues, and the first arc of SSM has him dealing with either 1) Otto's impact on his reputation or 2) An impostor(Otto or perhaps a clone, or maybe even Norman for a curveball) who is acting badly.

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Despair? Is that another word for the phrase "outright mockery"? Because that's all I've read and heard so far.

If Slott really is in hiding, it should be out of sheer embarrassment and nothing else.

You probably shouldn't despair anyway because it's just a comic book.

Wrote the Book on Cool

LOL
    I love you Dan Slott. I'm going to start reading Spiderman now. I've had this idea in my head for so long and I have been waiting for someone to use it for longer then just a one-shot or three-issue arc.
    I didn't think it would ever happen to a big super hero, but here it is... and it is awesome.
    Thank you Slott!

Banned

Oh please do trust and believe, I had no intention whatsoever of despairing over this, not a single iota.
    (Laughing sardonically, & mocking endlessly, perhaps. But not despairing.)
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; 11-21-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast