Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: How To Make Marvel Hold The Line On $2.99

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    I don't think it would be even as big a thing as it is if Marvel didn't try to rip digital customers off so badly. At $3.99 for digital only when print customers get both for the same $3.99, it's no surprise that digital customers want to buy them cheap.
    The Big Two pricing same day digital below paper is the first nuke in a war with the DM/LCS.

Simple as that.

It won't happen until it has to, or Disney/Warner decide to pull the trigger.

All this thread does is show that there are workarounds that get people cheaper comics in a format they can live with.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Cool

We actually have a digital copy trading thread right here: Digital copy trade post?

I have traded/sold with a few people on there with no major issues! You can verify that the codes work yourself on Marvel.com w/o redeeming them so it would be hard for people to lie/cheat on that.
    ewokpelts likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool Enigma_2099's Avatar

I got a better idea. STOP BUYING THE $3.99 COMICS.
    Mad_Man_Moon, obii and fredmanson like this.
    ~Hah... HAH, I SAY!!! The only way I'll even start to believe any attempt that he makes to pay what he owes is sincere and genuine is if he pawns the damn Porsche and uses that as collateral.

This is like me shooting a baby in the head, and trying to sound all repentative pleading my case, WHILE CHEWING ON IT'S CORPSE.~

My opinion of Pat Lee.

VP in Charge of Cool

I don't really get this, how is it ethically any different from pirating? Neither the publisher or the creators will be paid for these copies. There's a legal difference, sure, but I don't think that's what stops people from downloading scans.

I'm not being judgemental here, I pirate stuff myself and buy trades of my favourite books, just wondering why this would make it OK for some people who wouldn't take it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by barbabravo View Post
    I don't really get this, how is it ethically any different from pirating? Neither the publisher or the creators will be paid for these copies. There's a legal difference, sure, but I don't think that's what stops people from downloading scans.

I'm not being judgemental here, I pirate stuff myself and buy trades of my favourite books, just wondering why this would make it OK for some people who wouldn't take it for free.
    Because the code is technically property. What you're selling to someone is access to the comic, which they wouldn't otherwise have access to in any legal means for free. Think of it this way: I buy a comic, and sell it to my mate for five times its market value. The publisher can't really raise a fuss about it, because it already is out there as a product they sold. One product, one transaction, and now it is my property to do with as I see fit. If that code could be redistributed to multiple sources? Yeah, that would be pirating. But these are one-time codes that once activated are no longer valid.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by barbabravo View Post

You're "right," that they won't be paid: but that's because they already were. When I bought All New X-Men in my LCS today, I paid for two things, a print copy and a digital copy.

Do you think it would be unethical of me to sell or give away the print copy? Would your opinion be different if I had not redeemed the code?

I look at it this way, if I buy two things, I can do what I want with them: I don't have to keep them together.
    fredmanson likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidNixon View Post
    Because the code is technically property. What you're selling to someone is access to the comic, which they wouldn't otherwise have access to in any legal means for free. Think of it this way: I buy a comic, and sell it to my mate for five times its market value. The publisher can't really raise a fuss about it, because it already is out there as a product they sold. One product, one transaction, and now it is my property to do with as I see fit. If that code could be redistributed to multiple sources? Yeah, that would be pirating. But these are one-time codes that once activated are no longer valid.
    I'm not arguing that it's legally the same thing, but I always thought people were put off piracy in comics mainly because of the effect it has on the industry, the need to support titles you like to keep them going, and the ethics of reading the books without paying towards the creation of them (particularly royalties). This has exactly the same effect as piracy does, especially if done large scale as is being suggested here. Reselling issues is similar, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that because it's a long term practice that's just accepted. It also differs in that you can't keep the comic and sell it at the same time.

Or to put it another way, unless your whole problem with comics piracy is purely that it's against the law, why not just get a scan for free instead of paying for a code?

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    You're "right," that they won't be paid: but that's because they already were. When I bought All New X-Men in my LCS today, I paid for two things, a print copy and a digital copy.

Do you think it would be unethical of me to sell or give away the print copy? Would your opinion be different if I had not redeemed the code?

I look at it this way, if I buy two things, I can do what I want with them: I don't have to keep them together.
    Aren't the digital copies 'free'?

If you gave away one copy and kept the other it would be the same thing, doesn't matter if you kept paper or digital. I'm not going to say if anyone is ethical or unethical for doing any of this, I'm only interested in the ethical and financial difference to the industry and creators between doing this and pirating.

Cool

If you really want to make Marvel "hold the line at $2.99" don't buy the 20 page $3.99 comics.

I'd love to try the new X-Men book, but just like the last overpriced X-Men #1, it's not worth it.

Even though I prefer DC, the only reason I buy them exclusively and not Marvel, is pricing.

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

'The good old days'

Oh well...
    fredmanson likes this.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast