Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tariq Leslie

Thread: The Invisibles - Marvel Vs DC Binding

Administrator

Default The Invisibles - Marvel Vs DC Binding

With deal on the Invisibles Omnibus now at 46% off at Amazon and at Barnes And Noble (even more you use their recent voucher emailed). and with Christmas approaching, there's one big question being asked.

How's the binding?

DC Comics have had serious issues with their hardcover binding of late - and with books increasing in size, this has become more and more of a problem. Dan DiDio committed himself to improving the process, and we've been seeing results/ But how does it compare to the, admittedly slimmer, recently released Daredevil Omnibus from Marvel

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-TzMU23Erw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExvOvSqD-Wk[/youtube]

There's the verdict. The best binding on a DC hardcover yet... but still not as good as Marvel's. But probably very suitable for that spot under the Christmas tree.

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

VP in Charge of Cool Tariq Leslie's Avatar

I seriously don't get why they couldn't have broken this up into two volumes.

I love the idea of an omnibus, and frequently buy them, but I have to say that I will almost NEVER read from something this frigging big and unwieldy.

I think this is another aspect that makes the Marvel omnibus' superior - they usually aren't to large. Yes, some of the initial ones are pushing it, but especially with their more current (as in things written more recently) collections - like DD and Captain America, I can still read the thing comfortably in an armchair.

That Invisibles Omni, I would have to sit at a desk and read.

Seriously, I was looking forward to this release, but I'm not buying that tome.

Cool

man your definition of recently just made me almost flip, i thought they reissued bendis' Daredevil omni cause of this......and then was sadly disappointed

Consultant of Cool SnarkMachine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq Leslie View Post
    I seriously don't get why they couldn't have broken this up into two volumes.
    Production and inventory control. One item to produce. One SKU to maintain. One purchase from the customer. I think they'd rather have one Omnibus in warehouses than have to track two volumes (and worse, having a lopsided inventory where one volume is out of stock and another is plentiful). On paper it makes a lot of sense. They just have to get better at their binding and manufacturing.

Dean of Cool University

The Invisibles Omnibus is great. I'm very pleased with my copy. And really, in terms of weightiness and unwieldiness, there's not a lot in it between the Invisibles book and the bigger Marvel omnibuses (like the Lee/Ditko Amazing Spider-Man volume, or Simonson's Thor) which I've also enjoyed. If you can't sit with them comfortably (and I'm a pretty big bloke, so I can), then get a cushion or a table to rest it on.

Looking forward to seeing how the 52 Omnibus (due out next week?) shapes up.

Yeah, I don't have this YET but I do own the Simonson Thor Omnibus which I believe is almost the exact same page count. I'm 6'5" 200 lbs and I read the entire book sitting in bed with it in my lap, not that heavy nor unwieldy. Loved it, but yes I agree I do prefer them a bit smaller, I still want this book very badly.

Bravo! I think that comparing it to one of the larger Marvel Omniboo (Secret Wars II or ASM v1) would have been more fair, but either way, DC still has room for improvement. Roughly 200 pages in each direction where it doesn't lay flat is inexcusable.
    Junk Food For Thought...the Consumer Reports of the collected editions scene. Turning OCD into a lifestyle choice.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Shaw View Post
    Bravo! I think that comparing it to one of the larger Marvel Omniboo (Secret Wars II or ASM v1) would have been more fair, but either way, DC still has room for improvement. Roughly 200 pages in each direction where it doesn't lay flat is inexcusable.
    Ah, I don't know about inexcusable. For some, maybe. But I don't lay the book out flat when I read it - I hold it in my hands - and I haven't had any problems with it, including gutter loss. This whole "laying flat" requirement is a bit of a mystery to me.