Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Dani Moonstar, Misty Knight And Valkyrie Join An All-New All-Female Superhero Team From Marvel - The Fearless Defenders

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    This is the dumbest thing I've heard since the election ended. While I understand what you mean about capitalizing on a new title, why on Earth would a company strategically release a product counting on it to fail almost immediately? Surely you realize they'd be more than happy if this comic was a big ol' success, right?

Also, people need to stop saying "rinse, repeat."
    Guy replies to me vehemently. Rinse, repeat

Just kidding. I honesty don't know the answer to the bit of yours that I put in bold. I was just advancing a theory. I mean do you think Marvel really believes this Defenders book will be a big seller? Then maybe they just release titles like this so that they have a certain number of monthly titles in stores. I honestly don't know. But like I said, I doubt that you or Marvel really believes this book will be a big hit. But they have to be releasing it for a reason. Maybe it's a way to put a lesser known writer and artist on a regular book to let them develop some chops. I don't know
    SAMURAI36 likes this.

R-F
    Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Guy replies to me vehemently. Rinse, repeat

Just kidding. I honesty don't know the answer to the bit of yours that I put in bold. I was just advancing a theory. I mean do you think Marvel really believes this Defenders book will be a big seller? Then maybe they just release titles like this so that they have a certain number of monthly titles in stores. I honestly don't know. But like I said, I doubt that you or Marvel really believes this book will be a big hit. But they have to be releasing it for a reason. Maybe it's a way to put a lesser known writer and artist on a regular book to let them develop some chops. I don't know
    Yeah, I haven't any idea about the specifics of why they thought this was a good idea now, and don't much care. I agree that it's a bit of a longshot, but I think gambles like this can be really good. The only thing I took issue with was the idea that they cooked it up deliberately to tank.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Yeah, I haven't any idea about the specifics of why they thought this was a good idea now, and don't much care. I agree that it's a bit of a longshot, but I think gambles like this can be really good. The only thing I took issue with was the idea that they cooked it up deliberately to tank.
    Can you list any examples along these lines, of such gambles that turned out to be good by Marvel? Just curious.

Hey guys, I don't suppose it's occurred to any of you that books like this aren't successful because the minute they're announced, almost everyone throws up their hands and says "This is going to suck! Oh [Publisher] and your tokenism! Who do they think they're kidding, they don't really care about books like this anyway."

And then this attitude infects the rest of the fandom. Other websites and blogs decide not to cover it as much since it's clearly just a stunt. So then all that's left are the women comics bloggers running around saying, "Don't forget this one!" And then it becomes a chore, a duty to buy it. And so people don't buy it, or they buy the first issue but they feel pressured to like it and it's not fun. So then almost everyone stops buying it, and it gets cancelled.

[strike]Rinse, repeat.[/strike]

You know what I'd like to see in response to this title right now? Cool indifference. A 'wait and see' attitude. However you reacted to Birds of Prey when it was first announced back in '96 or whatever. Do you think you can do that?
    Peter J Poole, Fysh and kingslayer like this.
    My Blog: Ladies Making Comics
    My History Nerdery: Women in Comics Wiki

Banned

Sadly the good ones get canned too. Deadpool Max was great (don't know if it qualifies as an example since it was a Max book), but it didn't have the readership

R-F
    Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Can you list any examples along these lines, of such gambles that turned out to be good by Marvel? Just curious.
    JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY is the first one that springs to mind. It was a THOR spinoff with barely any Thor and an offbeat, non-movie-related interpretation of Loki. It took off well enough that they're continuing it beyond its initial concept and team, which I think is a sign of good faith.

I personally loved the heck out of Fraction's DEFENDERS, so that was a solid move creatively if not biz-wise. In the slightly more esoteric realm of miniserieses [sic], I thought TASKMASTER, VENGEANCE and RED SKULL were all terrific. I know those don't quite count since they had pre-determined end-points, but I still feel like they were risky propositions the company followed through on, yielding really great stories.

I dunno, I'm sure I could come up with many more. I like the goofy corners of these big universes so I'm always happy to see comics coming out that are driven by excitement and something-to-prove, y'know?

R-F
    Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Oh DUH, I just remembered another: DeConnick's CAPTAIN MARVEL. It is sensational. I'll be severely bummed if it crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    If a book can last at least 1 1/2 years it can be somewhat sucessful.
    That's Wacker's BS. If that was true, then Marvel would be throwing more work at Claremont since his last 5 ongoing series (although the last 2 series were bi-weekly series) lasted 16 to 24 issues each.
    DarthEwok likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    That's Wacker's BS. If that was true, then Marvel would be throwing more work at Claremont since his last 5 ongoing series (although the last 2 series were bi-weekly series) lasted 16 to 24 issues each.
    Agreed. The 2006 Moon Knight and Black Panther lasted 30 and 35 issues respectively - only to get canned

And let's not get into how crossovers and tie-ins can sabotage titles like this

I'm sticking with my theory that Marvel uses these titles as disposable fodder. Gone (for now) are the days of series like Marvel Premiere and Alpha Flight. Where weird teams and lesser-known characters will be featured, even if sales on that title are sub-par
    Last edited by DarthEwok; 11-08-2012 at 07:17 PM.

R-F
    Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Agreed. The 2006 Moon Knight and Black Panther lasted 30 and 35 issues respectively - only to get canned

And let's not get into how crossovers and tie-ins can sabotage titles like this

I'm sticking with my theory that Marvel uses these titles as disposable fodder. Gone (for now) are the days of series like Marvel Premiere and Alpha Flight. Where weird teams and lesser-known characters will be featured, even if sales on that title are sub-par
    I can't wait until you guys are in charge of comic books!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast