Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: The Big Question.... If Romney Wins, Does He Get On The Cover Of Amazing Spider-Man?

Wrote the Book on Cool Darin Wagner's Avatar

I take part of that back. I think Marvel might have Romney on the cover as long as they can do something tasteless like have Alex Ross do a recreation of the cover of Captain America #1 and put Romney in place of Hitler. That's totally plausible from today's Left.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    So, out of curiosity, what does any of that have to do with your claim that most comic buyers are liberal Democrats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen T View Post
    How does that prove your point? You "fixed" the post to state that the majority of comic fans are liberal, which you have absolutely no proof of that being true. That is what I pointing out.
    I said the majority of Marvel editors and writers were selling comics to liberal democrats, not that most comic fans or buyers are democrats or liberal. I base that on the Obama Amazing Spider-Man having multiple printings among many other reasons. You think Republicans were buying those issues for themselves? Do family oriented conservates really think X-Men books speak to them? There was a Northstar gay wedding issue earlier this year. I didn't see Republican partisans supporting that book online. Fantasy and science fiction are realms that encourage an active imgination. People who subscrible to party ideologies tend to inhibit their imaginations, otherwise, they would see that their own judgment tends to serve them better in reality than someone else's ideas of what reality is supposed to be. Here ends my speech.

Quote Originally Posted by brian-cs View Post
    I base that on the Obama Amazing Spider-Man having multiple printings among many other reasons. You think Republicans were buying those issues for themselves? Do family oriented conservates really think X-Men books speak to them? There was a Northstar gay wedding issue earlier this year. I didn't see Republican partisans supporting that book online. Fantasy and science fiction are realms that encourage an active imgination. People who subscrible to party ideologies tend to inhibit their imaginations, otherwise, they would see that their own judgment tends to serve them better in reality than someone else's ideas of what reality is supposed to be. Here ends my speech.
    This notion that people with party ideologies tend to inhibit their imaginations doesn't hold up to reality, I'm afraid. The people who write X-Men and put Obama on the cover of Spider-Man do subscribe to an ideology. They're called "liberals." The problem isn't that party ideologies inhibit imaginations, the problem is that there is one vastly dominant ideology that has been guiding comics for decades now... and it's caused the content to suffer and the audience to dwindle. You're absolutely right that family-oriented conservatives probably don't think that X-men books "speak to them" when they have big events like the Northstar gay wedding in them. They won't even find such books entertaining. This is by design. Marvel doesn't want such people reading their comics. If they did, they wouldn't be weaving liberal talking points and liberal socio-political agendas into their content.

Bleeding Cool

I said the majority of Marvel editors and writers were selling comics to liberal democrats, not that most comic fans or buyers are democrats or liberal.
    There's a serious disconnect here, but don't worry. You're ending clears it up nicely.

I base that on the Obama Amazing Spider-Man having multiple printings among many other reasons. You think Republicans were buying those issues for themselves? Do family oriented conservates really think X-Men books speak to them? There was a Northstar gay wedding issue earlier this year. I didn't see Republican partisans supporting that book online. Fantasy and science fiction are realms that encourage an active imgination. People who subscrible to party ideologies tend to inhibit their imaginations, otherwise, they would see that their own judgment tends to serve them better in reality than someone else's ideas of what reality is supposed to be. Here ends my speech.
    Would you like a better mirror, or did that do the job?
    Allen T likes this.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rootfireember View Post
    Please tone it down with the name calling and obscenities.
    While we may have political differences, that is no reason to ignore the forum rules.
    I called no one a name. I pointed out that Slott has a fat ass, which is objectively true. I did use profanity, but seeing as how the boards here don't prevent you from doing so, I thought it was allowed. I've certainly seen other obscenities posted on BleedingCool before.

Sometimes cutting straight through the B.S. in a direct manner is what's called for. Liberals like Slott irritate me, because they often make statements like the one above, but have no real intention of ever following through on it. Because they know, due to their fortunate success, that they've got it good here in the U.S. regardless of whether or not Obama OR Romney is president. Some of the rest of us aren't so lucky -- like the chronically unemployed under this feckless, lying, petulant, do-nothing president that the likes of Dan Slott have saddled us with for four years.
    Rootfireember and Jay Diddilo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by halfmadjesus View Post
    I called no one a name. I pointed out that Slott has a fat ass, which is objectively true.
    Why would you even need to point that out is what I'm wondering. If you're going to argue or discuss ideology, then stick to ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Wagner View Post
    This is by design. Marvel doesn't want such people reading their comics. If they did, they wouldn't be weaving liberal talking points and liberal socio-political agendas into their content.
    So you are suggesting a conspiracy? That is the "design" you are talking about? Who engineers this "design?" Tell us how far up it goes.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Wagner View Post
    Why would you even need to point that out is what I'm wondering. If you're going to argue or discuss ideology, then stick to ideology.
    It illustrates, perhaps crudely, the intellectual laziness of Leftists like Slott. Guys like him have it good in this biz -- yeah, he was probably fat before he broke through in a career-making way at Marvel, but the spread on the Joe Quesadas, Peter Davids, and Dan Didios of the world is just as noticeable. These guys are not hungry. Commenting that a Romney presidency is somehow going to force you to have to move out of the country when you're already pretty much set in life is laughable on its face. There are lots of actually hungry creators out there who would appreciate having your job. So my point is: how about STFU, do your dream job, and try not alienating over half your audience who don't see things the way you do politically. Or, go where your mouth takes you and actually move, already.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    There's a serious disconnect here, but don't worry. You're ending clears it up nicely.

Would you like a better mirror, or did that do the job?
    Provide one if you can. I see no disconnect and stand by my post. Marvel doesn't publish gay marriage books and X-Men titles hoping to appeal to the policitally conservative crowd. On the other hand, they do publish titles like PUNISHER which likely does. Which sell more? Hint: there are more X-Men titles than Punisher titles. Yet, they continue to sell both. A miracle of capitalism.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    As usual, you post more BS spin.

The RZA (hell, the whole damn Wu Tang Clan),DMC,and Clarence Thomas (who has a complete collection of RAWHIDE KID comics) are huge Marvel Comics fans (and huge comic fans in general), and I don't see you featuring them on the covers of your comics or as guest stars.

If I was really a joke you wouldn't bother responding to my posts and trying to explain your reasons for having Obama appear in ASM.
    That's kinda facile and idiotic, but I know by now that you can't help yourself.

Yes, of course, Lots of people are Marvel fans. Few are public figures we can legally use on covers.

Even fewer were elected President when I was editing.

I was there, so I know what happened. You, on the other hand, live in a message board-ian fantasy world and are quite possibly a danger to yourself.

If that "comic store" you worked in really existed, your boss would have his hands full.

SW

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast