Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: The Goosing Of Marvel NOW With Variants And Discount

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    Like that matters??? Haven't you been paying attention? PJP and D Bell have explained over and over the content doesn't have anything to do with sales... If the books don't sell, it's the DM's fault because we suck SOOOO bad and the corporate overlords are infallible and exist only to rake in the dollars that we accidentally stumble over.
    Bob, with all due respect, I have said repeatedly that I agree with you (and Blade) on the content issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Gosh. Man, when you guys are done here, you ought to go fill Peyton Manning in on how to be a quarterback too
    Don't sports fans already do that? This is the comics equivalent.

We're arguing over the rubble that was left when the direct market emerged, and the spinner rack died. A local shop here and there is nothing compared to the presence that comics had in stores and newsstands. We're trying to prop up a small piece of rubble and expect it to cause a big change in the comic customer base
    To a large extent I agree. But we start from where we are and work with what we have. And talking about real game changers causes Bob's head to explode.

You mean you can't sell an ice cube to an Eskimo? Because if you can't, you need to try harder!
    You do if you choose to run an ice cube shop in Alaska.

Cheers

Fine, the corporate overlords have no responsibility to do anything but put out books that an ever dwindling number of aging fanboys want and we all suck because we can't beg, borrow, or steal a way to sell it.
    Not all. And not because you can't, but because you won't even try.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Actually, it was Johns and Reis (not Lee) on AQUAMAN.

Of course I don't expect that. Hell, that's not even happening with the books with the current content.
    Ooops. Hey, it's DC, what do I care...

That's my point. If you're arguing a content change will save the day, you can't lump the other stuff in as part of that.

And Aquaman was outselling EVERY Marvel title until AVX which proves that spending money to get the whole world's attention can make AQUAMAN outsell Marvel while one store at a time probably wouldn't have had the same effect.
    Why would anyone expect it to? The LCS shouldn't give a rats about a title, you should just want to sell more comics.

Cheers

Like that matters??? Haven't you been paying attention? PJP and D Bell have explained over and over the content doesn't have anything to do with sales...
    Ahh, the misrepresent and make stuff up round again... Classic Bob is in da house!

Content affects sales. But there is no magic guaranteed formula for how.

We're ass deep in vampires and zombies because that sh!t sells, but advocating one sweeping change - all ages, old style - is like saying if you put a bunny rabbit in every story then sales will treble.

You expect publishers to make that big a leap of faith?

Because it worked 20 years ago?

So did 8 track and Betamax.

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter J Poole; 11-07-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    Comicsfan101 likes this.

Vacation Village, San Diego, January 1979

Please note that the phrase 'corporate overlords' is now officially part of the drinking game. 20cl of Babycham must be downed every time it is used henceforth.
    toodoor likes this.

I guess your beloved corporate overlords are that important to you?
    The BCO you expect to risk their income to save yours?

Fun thing is that if the Big Two ever do get serious about selling more comics I'll give you dollars to doughnuts the LCS is one of the first things up against the wall.

Because why bet the farm on outlets that can't even shift comics you're effectively giving them for free?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    Please note that the phrase 'corporate overlords' is now officially part of the drinking game. 20cl of Babycham must be downed every time it is used henceforth.
    Babycham? Jeez, that's raising the stakes and putting our livers on the line...

Cheers
    not him - HIM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    God I wish I'd been writing these down from the start!
    Last edited by toodoor; 11-08-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Meanwhile...

Interesting(?) item on the news yesterday about a start-up firm in Africa. There's apparently a huge problem with download piracy crippling the local music industry, so they've come up with an idea - scratch cards. Sell them cheap in local shops, newsagents, etc, etc, buy one and get the download code for a song on your phone.

What is happening, which they didn't expect, is that kids are swapping and collecting the cards, even after the code has been redeemed.

So, scratch cards for comic downloads.

Put the cover art for the issue on one side, a download code and some Pokemon style random character trivia on the other, then flog them in all kinds of outlets for $2.50 a pop.

And introduce rare variants/collectables if you want to...

Digital sales, with completist and speculator dressing.

Cheers
    D Bell likes this.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by D Bell View Post
    Yes and no...

Certainly the more facets of the industry that advertise, the better for all involved. And you;re right, Diamond should be taking the lead on the national level since their fortunes are tied to the individual shops.

The "no" part comes from the examples you gave - people already familiar with comics. Effective advertising should also be reaching people unfamiliar with the product you sell, who, after they see Avengers or Dark Knight, or the cartoons on CN or Disney XD they think "that's from a comic, huh? Maybe we should check some out." and then go to your store.

Again, you're building top of mind awareness with people that you may not see until months later. Think of advertising is an investment
    When The Dark knight Rises came out, the theatre i saw it at had a table manned by the LCS in the area passing out free comics and coupons for their store. they also have a poster sized ad at the theatre advertising 10% off with ticket stub.
    I dont know how much that cost them, but you have to applaud them for trying. something bob seems to not want to do.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast