Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 241
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: The Goosing Of Marvel NOW With Variants And Discount

  1. #121
    King of Cool Peter J Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Falkirk, Scotland
    Posts
    19,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    What a thoroughly and colossally ignorant summation of Shooter's contribution to the comic book industry

    And yeah, I'll take the informed opinions of pros, backed by decades of experience, over most
    In a static system, so will I.

    Not in an industry which has seen as many internal changes and external challenges as this one, and where anyone is only ever as good as their last miracle.

    And that's not slamming Shooter, or anyone else.

    Cheers
    Last edited by Peter J Poole; 11-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    Comicsfan101 likes this.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

  2. #122
    VP in Charge of Cool
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Inverness, Scotland
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    Still have 35 out of 100. Doing the math is idiocy. Had I reached the threshold, I'd be staring at probably 60+ and I love the fact that all of you non-experienced retail geniuses assume every variant goes on Ebay and makes a fortune to pay for the extra books and a yacht or two. Obviously, we did the math and it wasn't worth the risk and, even more obviously, we were exactly right since the big event launch of MARVEL NOW undersold AVX by around 65 copies and only outsold a normal Avengers by about 20.

    Again, when you have to order too many copies to qualify to get more variant copies and you're paying for every one of them knowing that most people are no longer buying multiple copies, you are taking a huge risk. The math only holds if the book actually sells at retail in much higher numbers than you expect when the qualifying amount is too high. My order number total originally was 75 regular priced copies, so if the owner hadn't gotten paranoid at the last minute, I'd be sitting on 10 and be very happy. It's all about knowing your customer base and knowing there were going to be tons of extra copies everywhere. I don't ever want to have to gamble on Ebay to break even.
    (12 characters)
    DarthEwok likes this.

  3. #123
    Time Out QCCBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewokpelts View Post
    I suspect you run a store that smells like rotting paper and overpriced merch.
    No, I run a store that works like a comic book shop, not a collectibles and pop culture store. The whole point of not wanting to deal with variants is we don't want 'rotting paper and overpriced merch'.
    Last edited by QCCBob; 11-04-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    Blade X likes this.

  4. #124
    Time Out QCCBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D Bell View Post
    If you line up a buyer of a variant before placing the order, and
    If he agrees to front the cost of the variant at a level that will cover the cost of the extra copies you have to order, and
    If you give away those copies, and
    If you advertise in your local media (newspaper/radio/TV) that on Saturday, your store will give away one copy of Book Y to the first X hundred that come in, and
    If you do this each week of Marvel Now...
    Fundamental flaw #1 - I haven't got anyone left who buys expensive variants, so no guarantee there.

    Fundamental flaw #2 - I base my order on a number of file customers, so how can I give away copies without LOSING money on my file customers AND how many file customers are going to be ticked that we gave away copies, but charged them?

    Fundamental flaw #3 - Adding ad money to the lost money from giving stuff away means I'd better see a huge response followed by enough people buying the next issues to pay off the debt incurred. Is there even ONE Marvel Now title that is a better theoretical lock to sell than the Uncanny Avengers and it certainly didn't set the world on fire.

    Taking your advice would bankrupt a shop in three months. You're talking thousands of real dollars (Have you priced a multimedia ad campaign lately?) gambled on the fact that Marvel can put out books that attract new readers and we already know they can't do that. If money grew on trees and I could walk out back and pull 6 grand a week to pay for ads without expecting any return, great. You want to spend thousands to make hundreds. That's not practical, especially given that the numbers you'd need to generate would require selling more copies in my store than probably ship to the entire DM community in town.
    Blade X likes this.

  5. #125
    Time Out QCCBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    And yeah, I'll take the informed opinions of pros, backed by decades of experience, over most
    Now, you're doomed. The opinions of random comic fans on BC trump ANY professional's opinion and usually most rational facts. And now you've branded yourself a heretic!
    mbecks114, The Cheat and DarthEwok like this.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    Now, you're doomed. The opinions of random comic fans on BC trump ANY professional's opinion and usually most rational facts. And now you've branded yourself a heretic!
    Yes. I see that now. That is why I just did a facepalm, instead of replying to the reply

  7. #127
    Dean of Cool University
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    Fundamental flaw #1 - I haven't got anyone left who buys expensive variants, so no guarantee there.

    Fundamental flaw #2 - I base my order on a number of file customers, so how can I give away copies without LOSING money on my file customers AND how many file customers are going to be ticked that we gave away copies, but charged them?

    Fundamental flaw #3 - Adding ad money to the lost money from giving stuff away means I'd better see a huge response followed by enough people buying the next issues to pay off the debt incurred. Is there even ONE Marvel Now title that is a better theoretical lock to sell than the Uncanny Avengers and it certainly didn't set the world on fire.

    Taking your advice would bankrupt a shop in three months. You're talking thousands of real dollars (Have you priced a multimedia ad campaign lately?) gambled on the fact that Marvel can put out books that attract new readers and we already know they can't do that. If money grew on trees and I could walk out back and pull 6 grand a week to pay for ads without expecting any return, great. You want to spend thousands to make hundreds. That's not practical, especially given that the numbers you'd need to generate would require selling more copies in my store than probably ship to the entire DM community in town.
    Bob, your post is exactly why the DM as currently run is bad for comics.

    First you ignore the part where I said IF you had a customer that would commit to purchase and pay up front for the variant.
    That means that all those extra copies are now free to you. You net zero, sure, but your cost is also zero (of course, you could charge enough for the variant to see a profit as well, though I'd think that wouldn't be wise for long term customer retention).
    So why would you charge your pull customers and give away to walk-ins?

    Granted advertising does cost money, though not as much as you think. Radio and newspaper are certainly your cheapest options and buying on local cable is not out of the price range for a healthy store.
    But there are other options - are you near a college? Does it have a school newspaper? If so that is a very cheap ad buy and targets the same demographic you want.
    Do you trade advertising space in your shop (i.e., posters/ counter cards, etc.) with other small shops that might share your pool of potential customers? Like mom & pop coffee shops or wireless cafes.

    And finally, you can't hope to grow any business simply by opening the door. You need to let people know you exist, that you have something they might want and you have to give them a reason to come in. A small give away can certainly help.

    Bob, you and I can both argue about content all day (and on that we have always agreed) but shops have to market themselves. I merely offered one potential way to do it. You said you have no customers that buy variants. Fair enough, then this wouldn't work... for you. But that doesn't make it an unworkable idea.
    Cavemold likes this.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D Bell View Post
    Bob, your post is exactly why the DM as currently run is bad for comics.

    First you ignore the part where I said IF you had a customer that would commit to purchase and pay up front for the variant.
    That means that all those extra copies are now free to you. You net zero, sure, but your cost is also zero (of course, you could charge enough for the variant to see a profit as well, though I'd think that wouldn't be wise for long term customer retention).
    So why would you charge your pull customers and give away to walk-ins?

    Granted advertising does cost money, though not as much as you think. Radio and newspaper are certainly your cheapest options and buying on local cable is not out of the price range for a healthy store.
    But there are other options - are you near a college? Does it have a school newspaper? If so that is a very cheap ad buy and targets the same demographic you want.
    Do you trade advertising space in your shop (i.e., posters/ counter cards, etc.) with other small shops that might share your pool of potential customers? Like mom & pop coffee shops or wireless cafes.

    And finally, you can't hope to grow any business simply by opening the door. You need to let people know you exist, that you have something they might want and you have to give them a reason to come in. A small give away can certainly help.

    Bob, you and I can both argue about content all day (and on that we have always agreed) but shops have to market themselves. I merely offered one potential way to do it. You said you have no customers that buy variants. Fair enough, then this wouldn't work... for you. But that doesn't make it an unworkable idea.
    Man there sure are a lot of people who are experts at how to run a successful comic shop - in their head, hypothetically, on the Internet, that is

    I wonder if these folks also wander into a college lecture hall and correct the PhD professor about his/her area of expertise

  9. #129
    Bleeding Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Man there sure are a lot of people who are experts at how to run a successful comic shop - in their head, hypothetically, on the Internet, that is

    I wonder if these folks also wander into a college lecture hall and correct the PhD professor about his/her area of expertise
    D Bell and I disagree a lot, but everything he said here is perfectly reasonable. I have to wonder if you're even capable of having a thought that wasn't handed to you by authority. Also a pretty big assumption to assume that the people disagreeing have no business running experience. Quite a few of us, in fact, do have such experience. Imagine that. Professionals can still disagree with each other on how to run a business.

  10. #130
    Zen Master of Cool Dusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greener pastures than yours.
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    NuMarvel still being run by clueless liars with no respect for anybody, and over inflated opinions of their boys club? I am not surprised they keep going down in sales and creativity.

    Speaking of numarvel lies that need exposed, here are two:

    1. Why is Mark Millar still publishes his books through ICON when Marvel repeated claimed it was an incentive imprint to keep exclusive creators, and not a sandbox reserved for Joey's drinking buddies?

    2. Where is the upcoming Ralph Macchio comic work that Marvel claimed was the reason he left a 30 year position at the company to do?
    Last edited by Dusty; 11-04-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    "As THE bona fide forum superstar sensation, I feel I have a responsibility that must never be neglected!" - Dusty

    "A forum superstar sensation like Dusty is a true hero in every sense of the word!" - Stan Lee

    "Dusty is such a forum superstar sensation that even I should listen and learn from him!" Stephen Hawking

    "A forum superstar sensation like Dusty is the stuff dreams are made of!" Oprah Winfrey

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •