Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: The Goosing Of Marvel NOW With Variants And Discount

Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    As to your ridiculous misunderstanding of nearly every economic principle in DM retail, I'm not going to waste the time again trying to educate you. Paying full price and giving them away is not a good business strategy.
    The whole point with variants and massive discounting is that you're not paying full price. And the value of something you can not sell is still zero, however much you paid for it...

I don't care if you choose to post like an idiot, I do object to you thinking people here read like idiots. Your "you don't know retail" wheeze really only works if the target doesn't know basic numeracy either.

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter J Poole; 11-04-2012 at 02:06 AM.
    Comicsfan101 likes this.

Better solution, order the right number in the first place and not lose money.
    Didn't you just say that's not the objective?

Ladies and germs, Bob's business meme revealed: Keep Calm and Do Fuck All...

Tax write offs aren't the same as money in your pocket AND aren't timely enough to pay the bills incurred anyway. As a last resort, great, but it's not a smart business strategy.

You do realize we pay for these books upfront, right? It's not net 90 day terms, we pay every week whether we EVER sell them or not.
    FFS... do you handle the accounts? Tax write offs in a double entry book-keeping system are exactly the same as money in your pocket over the fiscal year.

(I may not have your blinding wisdom and insight on retail but I have run a company for 15 years... )

And yes, Bob, you have to wait for your invested cents to become dollars.

The good news is that you only need to wait until the next weekly or monthly book keeping cycle because that's when you can factor in the write off to decrease the amount you're setting aside to cover tax liability and increase the operating capital/cash in hand amount.

The really good news is that you can do nothing while you wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    No, it just give the owners of the stores a tax write off. How much, I don't know since I didn't ask my boss how much was the tax write off was for donating the books.
    The owner as in personal tax or the business as in corporation tax? I'd presume the latter.

It'd be interesting to see if the write off is undepreciated full cover price though, or just capital invested... But even capital invested is the equivalent of making a book fully returnable while still being able to promote your shop with it...

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter J Poole; 11-04-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    The owner as in personal tax or the business as in corporation tax? I'd presume the latter.
    The latter. However, since many shops are owned and funded solely by one person (which is the case for our shop) I see a tax write off for the business as a tax write off for the owner.

It'd be interesting to see if the write off is undepreciated full cover price though, or just capital invested... But even capital invested is the equivalent of making a book fully returnable while still being able to promote your shop with it...

Cheers
    All of the books that we donated were back issues from the 90's and early 00's. So we rang up how much we were going to sell those books for today (like we would a regular customer's purchase) and then gave the tally and books to the person representing the charity we were donating to.

I think that if MARVEL NOW ends up either under performing in sales or being a complete sales flop that Marvel MIGHT pull a Nu52 and reboot the entire MU. After all, Alonso has admitted that they did discuss doing a reboot and that it is not out of the realm of possibility that they might still do a reboot sometime in the future.

Bleeding Cool

I think that if MARVEL NOW ends up either under performing in sales or being a complete sales flop that Marvel MIGHT pull a Nu52 and reboot the entire MU. After all, Alonso has admitted that they did discuss doing a reboot and that it is not out of the realm of possibility that they might still do a reboot sometime in the future.
    If I was betting the farm on NOW (fortunately, I'm not) I'd guess it won't be a total disaster. It'll sell just about well enough for most people involved to stay in their jobs, for a while yet. But equally, it doesn't sound like a long-term solution; Rick Remender on The Avengers, Brian Bendis on the X-Men! Be still everyone's beating hearts ...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Bob, content is not the main problem.
    Jim Shooter, and others, disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wacker View Post
    Bwahahahahah!!!

Lest anyone think "Blade X" works in (or as he used to claim "owns") a comic store..this lie has been debunked many, many times.

SW
    Ah, another personal attack that has nothing to do with the discussion and that does not address ANY of the topics being discussed

I'll give it to you - you're incredibly consistent

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Ah, another personal attack that has nothing to do with the discussion and that does not address ANY of the topics being discussed

I'll give it to you - you're incredibly consistent
    Go get 'em, DarthEwok!

SW

Dean of Cool University

Better solution, order the right number in the first place and not lose money.
    You cant lose money if you get the tax write off at the cover price. if the $3.99 book is discounted to you at $2.65, the write off is still $3.99 per book. you net a "profit" of $1.34 per issue.

I suspect you run a store that smells like rotting paper and overpriced merch.

Dean of Cool University

No, it just give the owners of the stores a tax write off. How much, I don't know since I didn't ask my boss how much was the tax write off for donating the books.
    well, DUH. the OWNER of the store gets the write off. that's how business writes offs WORK.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast