Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Cancels Thanos: Son Of Titan Mini-Series (UPDATE)

Dean of Cool University

Boo...

SW

PS: Message too short, so "boo" again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wacker View Post
    That isn't "fairness" though. We announced this yesterday in the weekly Marvel Mailer to retailers. It goes out on Thursdays because it goes out on Thursdays every week. Diamond just ran it today.
    So there's no need to build up a dramatic "Marvel is just like Nixon!" theory.

The idea that there's a need for a "press friendly" explanation for a mini-series plan changing is downright hysterical.

SW
    So... how 'bout that Starlin guy, huh? He sure did some cool work for Marvel, didn't he?
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    Can we start nominations for most retarded post of the week? Since when is being influenced by another artist's work considered stealing? By that "logic", George Lucas "stole" the idea for Darth Vader from Jack Kirby. Sheesh.
    Um...

In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : “Beef him up! If you’re going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!”.
    Comic Book Legends Revealed #266 | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

Bleeding Cool

That isn't "fairness" though. We announced this yesterday in the weekly Marvel Mailer to retailers. It goes out on Thursdays because it goes out on Thursdays every week. Diamond just ran it today.

The idea that there's a need for a "press friendly" explanation for a mini-series plan changing is downright hysterical.

SW
    I didn't "build up" anything. I was actually defending your organization. Good thing you've dialed things back enough to see that.

Dean of Cool University

Double post.

SW

Again, I will say, how is that "stealing"? It looks to me like people are taking an off-handed joke from an editor to his artist, and trying to make something more out of it. Do you really think, if he believed he was "stealing", he would say so publicly like that? Common sense, people.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by khuxford View Post
    I didn't "build up" anything. I was actually defending your organization. Good thing you've dialed things back enough to see that.
    I was referring to the entire conversation. Don't be so sensitive! (and apologies if that wasn't clear)

SW

Boo...

SW

To which I must ask... Boo who?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Starlin "created" Thanos? He's admitted in the past that he was just stealing the idea behind Metron of the New Gods until a Marvel editor told him that if he was going to steal from Jack, he should steal Jack's greatest New Gods creation.
    ...There's two answers to this one:

1) Starlin's even told me personally this story, but there's just something about this particular fish that stinks like tuna when he's claiming it's really caviar. Even the earliest drawings he did of Thanos resemble Metron only in the fact that Thanos isn't built like one of the Cowboy's Doomsday Defense circa 1971-1972, and even that becomes mox nix when you look at the early drawings that Jack Kirby did of Darkseid, where he's actually got a build more like Astronaut Gus Grissom - 5'7, somewhere around 200lbs and only when dripping wet instead of how John Byrne ended up giving Ben Grimm a quick trip to Earl Scheib for a case of Krylon #157 Marina Grey. So yeah, I'm calling retroactive bullshit - a "retshitjob" - on the grounds that Starlin simply doesn't want to admit he outright swiped Darkseid to create Thanos. The characters have completely different motivations - one wants to control all life, the other wants to wipe it all out - but their similarities in attitude exceed their differences in motivation enough to where I honestly don't think a signed notary locked away in a vault untouched since 1970 combined with even a polygraph of everyone involved to "back it all up" would be able to convince me or anyone else who's seeing a spade and calling both as such.

2) As much as I consider the Fourth World Jack's greatest characters, his greatest individual character still is Captain America. But I digress...
    -------

Boo...

...Might help if you also started quoting who you're babbling about, Whack. You -do- know how to quote, right? I mean, refusing to answer a straightforward logical question may be one thing, but a simple little bit of forum etiquette?

[Sigh] Perhaps I may just have to show up and stand in your face to see what sort of response you'd give to someone offering you the put-up or shut-up option...

...Theory my fat fake leg. It would explain a *lot* about what's going on up there these days. All we need now is to figure out how to work Quacknamara in the whole mess, and catch Millar, Bendis, Waid and/or Loeb sneaking into Didio or Morrison's hotel rooms to snoop for scripts and plant listening devices. Then, after Brevoort is ousted over some scam involving a Coors distributorship, the whole House of Ideas comes crashing down as the Big Fat Q has to appear on TV in front of an SDCC panel to give his resignation, somewhere along the way claiming he's not a crook.
    Last edited by _OM_; 07-27-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    -------

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast