Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Marvel Reprints Two Jim Starlin Thanos Stories In Comic Form For September

Administrator

Default Marvel Reprints Two Jim Starlin Thanos Stories In Comic Form For September

The last we heard from Jim Starlin was annoyance that he didn't even get an invite to see the Avengers movie, featuring his own Thanos in the end credits

In September, Jim Starlin, the creator of Thanos - recently revived in the Marvel Universe in Avengers Assemble - is kicking off two new reprint series.
    Thanos: The Final Threat #1 follows the Mad Eternal as he gathers the cosmic Infinity Gems in a bid for interplanetary power! Can even the combined might of the Avengers, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, and others stand up to Thanos might? But that?s not all! Jim Starlin and Ron Lim continue the son of Titan?s quest for power in Thanos Quest #1! Except this time, he?s looking destroy half the population of the universe, and rule all he surveys! And with a cover featuring the concept art from Marvel?s The Avengers by Andy Park, no fan can miss out!
    You know that Infinity Gauntlet TPB? Now would be a really good time to buy it.

This is all in aid of Thanos appearing in Avengers Assemble #7 by Bendis and Bagley with the Avengers and the new Guardians Of The Galaxy teaming up to fight him. Bendis Guardians Of The Galaxy spinoff to come in October anyone?

This is a remarkable return for Jim Starlin to Marvel as well, after he and Marvel split under a cloud last time... leaving an unfinished Thanos series and vows that Starlin would never work with Marvel again. Yup, it's reprint. No wonder things seemed... slightly familiar. This was his quote back then;
    "Due to irreconcilable creative differences, Jim Starlin will no longer be working on the Thanos series for Marvel Comics. His last penciled and scripted issue will be #6, and he is currently finishing the script for #7.?
    And nothing has changed since. No new work from Jim for Marvel, no matter how many weirdly misleading press release they send out...

Ron Lim really needs to do more work for the big two.

Zen Master of Cool WinterCeltic's Avatar

Interesting. I like that he'll be drawing it, too. I recently picked up GILGAMESH II for the first time in ages. I miss that Starlin. And Ron Lim, too? Sweet.

And the timing for his return to Thanos is right, even though the character is still a huge Darkseid rip-off and a Marvel middle finger to Kirby.

Um... do we know for sure that these aren't just reprints of the original Thanos Quest, and the original Infinity Gems storyline (the one from the Marvel Two-in-One Annual)?
    DJ_Convoy likes this.

Zen Master of Cool Charles Skaggs's Avatar

Really wish Marvel would collect the rest of Jim Starlin's Silver Surfer run instead of just reprinting "The Rebirth of Thanos" over and over.

Does this mean Marvel might also finally reprint the TPBs of Thanos: Epiphany and Thanos: Samaritan? Those books sold on the secondary market for obscene prices even before the Avengers movie was released.

Oh, and I want an Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus, Marvel. I know George Perez only did 4 issues worth of art on that series, but he was at the top of his game (especially when it came to things like page design) and I love to see his intricate work printed at a larger size.

Bleeding Cool

This must be false, because I've been told by sources (Blade X, I think) that Starlin was blacklisted by Marvel.

Ron Lim's art has NOT aged well. I remember how he used to be the standard everyone else followed in Captain America or the cosmic books or (his best work) the early X-Men 2099 books.

His work during the past 10 years has been very inconsistent and... sketchy.
    Dr. Manolis Vamvounis
    Leave Your Spandex @t the Door
    Twitter: @theComicsGreek

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    Um... do we know for sure that these aren't just reprints of the original Thanos Quest, and the original Infinity Gems storyline (the one from the Marvel Two-in-One Annual)?
    Actually from the look of it it sure sounds and looks like these are reprints, right down to the characters that are seen in the covers, the creative teams involved and the story description.
    DJ_Convoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Manolis View Post
    Ron Lim's art has NOT aged well. I remember how he used to be the standard everyone else followed in Captain America or the cosmic books or (his best work) the early X-Men 2099 books.

His work during the past 10 years has been very inconsistent and... sketchy.
    I couldn't disagree more! I think his recent work on the DC cosmic heroes was some of the best of his career.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast