Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: IDW To Publish John Byrne Fantastic Four Artists Edition

Administrator

Default IDW To Publish John Byrne Fantastic Four Artists Edition

The IDW Artists Edition are works of joy, the product of Scott Dunbier at the publisher, reprinting the artwork for classic stories as close to the original boards as possible, then reproducing them on Bristol board as well, for added authenticity.

And they've just landed the Fantastic Four, reprinting six classic issues from John Byrne's run on the title.

Previous speculation that IDW would be able to publish an X-Men run were scotched by Terry Austin's reported decision not to release his original art for such a project.

While I would prefer some issues from "Namor" or "Alpha Flight" still is still pretty sweet. Sold.

Funny, because the other day I was thinking "When will IDW announce another Artist's Edition that I will most certainly buy?" (the last one I bought was Mazzuchelli's DD and the only one I'm looking forward to is "Xenozoic Tales").

Hopefully "Art Adams' Longshot" and/or "Will Meugniot's DNAgents" will be among those as well some day.

気持ち悪い

Exceedingly Cool
    Over the horizon. Keep going, you'll find it.

Well, I guess they have to get something that might make IDW money out of Byrne. Nothing else has worked.

Then again, if Byrne stopped acting the way he does, he might become popular again. His work is good. The man himself is hard to swallow.

With Tolerance For Sad Truths Of Past Glories...

Marq
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

I always liked seeing Byrne's process stuff because he had such tight pencils, in comparison to some artists who let the inker take over more of the burden of detail work.
    ArnimZagarian likes this.

Way Cool

This is an idea that is very smart -
    a giant, massive book of John Byrne's art!
    MWEDMER likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool winteriscoming's Avatar

I don't care what the cost is...I'll sell a kidney...this'll be the first artist edition since Simonson's that I'll buy.
    MWEDMER likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Well, I guess they have to get something that might make IDW money out of Byrne. Nothing else has worked.
    Byrne's recent work on ANGEL and STAR TREK was successful enough for IDW to reprint in deluxe hardcover volumes, so I don't think you know what you're talking about.
    Blade X, Eric Sean, sleeve and 1 others like this.

Zen Master of Cool

Please be Trial of Galactus.

And please let Marvel get around to doing Byrne FF Omnibus vol 2
    _OM_, raycornwall, Mike H. and 1 others like this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

There are certain issue of the Byrne FF which need to be reprinted using modern techniques. For a time Byrne became enchanted with inking with a felt tip pen and the cheap printing on 1980s comics made those issues look like mud because the black ink lines were not solid like a normal pen and didn't reproduce properly.

People can say what they want about the man, but there was a time that his art was incredible.

And this book seems to be reprinting a few stories from that era. Sold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast