Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brendon Connelly
  • 1 Post By yesiamaplant

Thread: IDW Planning Doctor Who Anniversary Series With All Of The Doctors

Administrator

Default IDW Planning Doctor Who Anniversary Series With All Of The Doctors

IDW have big plans for next year, looking to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who with what they're calling an "interconnected maxiseries" featuring all eleven Doctors. It's a lot easier to pull this stuff off on the page than the screen, of course, so even if Moffat can't manage some Doctors of yore on the BBC, IDW have that nostalgic team-up angle covered.

With eleven doctors and twelve issues there's space for one tie-in instalment and eleven Doctor-by-Doctor chapters. It's not clear if this is what they're planning - I'm not at NYCC myself, this report comes second hand, passing along word from Little Bleeder Josh.

I'll tell you what, though, if they start with a tie-in then break into one-by-ones I'll be confident that the anniversary won't bring a regeneration. If they start with The First alone and then move on, Doctor at a time, my inner nerd will get mighty suspicious...
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Exceedingly Cool

Well, there's still an unseen regeneration lingering out there. What if they had a Smith and McGann team up? They could give McGann the opportunity to play the role on screen one more time, and then have him regenerate at the end. Would probably increase the likelihood of Eccleston showing up if all he had to do was a short cameo.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    With eleven doctors and twelve issues there's space for one tie-in instalment and eleven Doctor-by-Doctor chapters.
    Or perhaps the eleven TV Doctors and the Peter Cushing movie Doctor.

Nah, I doubt there would be any reason to get suspicious. Since they can't be sold in the UK, Doctor Who by IDW seems to be a bit of a red-headed stepchild. Odds are they wouldn't have the inside track on anything.

VP in Charge of Cool Darth_Lukecash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Jensen View Post
    Or perhaps the eleven TV Doctors and the Peter Cushing movie Doctor.
    Actually, Peter Cushing thought his Doctor could be in continuity.
    “Well I’ll tell you something I thought once. I just said I didn’t watch TV, but one of the few episodes of the ‘Dr. Who’ series that I saw was one that involved a kind of mystical clown (‘The Celestial Toymaker’? – ed.), and I realised that perhaps he kidnapped Dr Who and wiped his memory and made him relive some of his earlier adventures. When Bill Hartnell turned into Patrick Troughton, and changed his appearance, that idea seemed more likely. I think that’s what happened, so I think those films we did fit perfectly well into the TV series. “

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Jensen View Post
    and the Peter Cushing movie Doctor.
    No.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Lukecash View Post
    Actually, Peter Cushing thought his Doctor could be in continuity.
    “Well I’ll tell you something I thought once. I just said I didn’t watch TV, but one of the few episodes of the ‘Dr. Who’ series that I saw was one that involved a kind of mystical clown (‘The Celestial Toymaker’? – ed.), and I realised that perhaps he kidnapped Dr Who and wiped his memory and made him relive some of his earlier adventures. When Bill Hartnell turned into Patrick Troughton, and changed his appearance, that idea seemed more likely. I think that’s what happened, so I think those films we did fit perfectly well into the TV series. “
    Never read that quote before. Interesting.

Another way to make the Cushing Doctor canon could be done in the current TV series by having the 11th Doctor land on a parallel Earth. Peter Cushing is dead, of course, but Moffat could have the Doctor meet up with his extra-dimensional granddaughters Susan and Barbara, his extradimensional niece Louise and (former?) police officer Tom Campbell.
    Last edited by Lars Jensen; 10-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Bleeding Cool

Hopefully they will get a consistent artist for this one. That last attempt they did with whatsername (Pia-something?) bailing mid-ways through the series...the story was good, but the fill-in artists were not.

My fantasy line-up for a series like this:

• Issue #1 - First Doctor/Susan - James Robinson(w), Tony Harris(p)
    • Issue #2 - Second Doctor/Jamie - Kurt Busiek, Carlos Pacheco
    • Issue #3 - Third Doctor/Brigadier - Alan Davis, Alan Davis
    • Issue #4 - Fourth Doctor/Sarah-Jane - Keith Giffen, Kevin Maguire
    • Issue #5 - Fifth Doctor/Tegan - Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons
    • Issue #6 - Sixth Doctor/Peri - Warren Ellis, Frank Quitely
    • Issue #7 - Seventh Doctor/Ace - Mark Millar, Brian Bolland
    • Issue #8 - Eighth Doctor/Charley Pollard - Peter David, John Cassaday
    • Issue #9 - Ninth Doctor/Rose - Grant Morrison, Bryan Hitch
    • Issue #10 - Tenth Doctor/Donna Noble - Russel T. Davies, George Perez
    • Issue #11 - Eleventh Doctor/The Ponds - Steven Moffat, J.K. Woodward
    • Issue #12 - Multi-Doctor Crossover - Neil Gaiman, Alex Ross

• Special/One-Shot #1: UNIT: Then & Now - Paul Cornell, Phil Jimmenez
    • Special/One-Shot #2: Torchwood 2013 - Garth Ennis, Darrick Robertson

Lou

Unless the last issue was an amalgam of all 11 Doctors, much like that special (was it Hastings?) cover shown recently with the 11th, Amy and Rory dressed in clothing from all the previous incarnations...

Wrote the Book on Cool

Would be great if they could tie-in Stockbrige into all of this