Thread: Rumour: James McAvoy Contender To Play The New Crow

Administrator

Default Rumour: James McAvoy Contender To Play The New Crow

Though their rumour comes with an in-built disclaimer, Bloody Disgusting say that James McAvoy is considering the star role in a reboot of The Crow. This makes him the third high-profile name associated with this do-over after Bradley Cooper and Mark Wahlberg.

None of those guys really seems to click into the role for me, though I like all of them just fine in other places, other roles. Perhaps I'm just not seeing it yet. Perhaps I'm just too wed to a Crow I have in my head, from the James O'Barr comics and original Alex Proyas movie.

The logistical catch with this casting is McAvoy's commitment to filming X-Men: Days of Future Past. This might prevent him from taking up another big project this year, or at least before the winter. If The Crow will have to roll this spring or summer, then there's not even a small chance of whiteface for McAvoy.

F. Javier Gutierrez is attached to direct the film. His 2008 pictureBefore The Fall seems so long ago now... in the meantime, he's been attached to any number of Hollywood projects, not one of which has yet gone before cameras.

could do worse
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

I know there are rights retention issues involved, but I really wish they'd let this one go already. The original is well-loved, but three sequels (I jumped ship after City of Angels) and a shitty retread TV show has burned out all the goodwill I had for this franchise; even the repetitive comics spinoffs are off my radar. The story's told and then some. Move along.

Of the three, I like Bradley Cooper as the best option. No knock on McAvoy, but nothing about him really scream The Crow whereas Cooper I could see, with some fine-tuning, showing up in the original (and only good one) movie. Of course I'm biased as I like him a lot as an actor.
    "Walking bones!"

Don't re-make The Crow! Re-CUT it. Shuffle the scenes around on the original flick so it matches the GN better and puts some mystery back into the story. MacAvoy is being over-worked and I'm worried about him!

Wrote the Book on Cool

For me I loved the original The Crow movie. Heck it is my all time favorite to be honest. They would be better served to do another continuation of the universe in which the Crow takes place in. The premise is pretty simple really and if handled correctly turn out very good. The 2nd movie was meh but not so horrible you had to gouge your eyes out, but the third film wow yeah absolutely horrible between acting and writing it was just bad. To me have say Sam Worthington or Jason Statham star in it and go for ultra dark gothic like the original movie. Choose Jason if you want more action or Sam if you want better acting.

Consultant of Cool Ferb Morgendorffer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Birmy View Post
    I know there are rights retention issues involved, but I really wish they'd let this one go already. The original is well-loved, but three sequels (I jumped ship after City of Angels) and a shitty retread TV show has burned out all the goodwill I had for this franchise; even the repetitive comics spinoffs are off my radar. The story's told and then some. Move along.
    Agreed, the only time I thought this was a good idea was when Nick Cave was involved, and even then I was non-shocked when they didn't go with his version, though they could have at least did what almost happened with the Rob Zombie version and do it as an original film.

They should be making the version that Rob Zombie was gonna do years ago. I'ts the only one I've heard of that does homage to the original without rehashing all the same things.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chinhead View Post
    Don't re-make The Crow! Re-CUT it. Shuffle the scenes around on the original flick so it matches the GN better and puts some mystery back into the story. MacAvoy is being over-worked and I'm worried about him!
    Hell yes to this! And while it's being shuffled around, take out the complete unnecessary, nothing to do with the original story, big budget gotta throw an "epic" boss battle in there action flick cliche' fucking sword fight at the end.

Dean of Cool University Irving_Braxiatel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Birmy View Post
    What about the novels and the recent IDW comic?