Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Brendon Connelly
  • 2 Post By WilsonBros

Thread: Ray Cusick, 1928-2013 - The Designer Of The Daleks Has Passed Away

Administrator

Default Ray Cusick, 1928-2013 - The Designer Of The Daleks Has Passed Away

The BBC have reported the death of production designer Ray Cusick at the age of 84.

The most famous and enduring of Cusick's creations are the Daleks, which rank amongst the best bits of design in the history of television. They showcase both imagination and great craft, and I honestly believe that the look of the Dalek race has played a major part in the Doctor Who's ongoing popularity, definitely its pop icon status.

In this video, you'll see Cusick visit the BBC props department, look over the Daleks and talk about their creation. It's a must-watch for any fans of the Doctor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HC3Wl9UY8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86dIpygbYSU[/youtube]

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. For me, Cusick made one of the greatest contributions in the history of the show. I hope to see him recognised. I wish he'd be here with us to enjoy the celebrations.

Bleeding Cool

Uh.....you do know Tony Ingram already created a thread about this, SEVEN HOURS AGO, in the actual Doctor Who forum? Raymond Cusick RIP

Why create a redundant thread? Can't mingle with the common folk, Brendon?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pop-Tart Samson View Post
    Uh.....you do know Tony Ingram already created a thread about this, SEVEN HOURS AGO, in the actual Doctor Who forum? Raymond Cusick RIP

Why create a redundant thread? Can't mingle with the common folk, Brendon?
    Bleeding Cool isn't a forum to me, it's a website and blog. I never, ever come in via the forum. I never create a thread, I post a story to the site and the thread automatically follows. For me, the forum is where comments to front page stories come from or live.

For you, it's a forum, it would seem. I guess you don't come in via the front page.

We're looking at the mirror from opposites sides of the glass, that's all.

Bleeding Cool

You just wrinkled my brain, man....

Wrote the Book on Cool WillipsBrighton's Avatar

Yeah, I don't read the forum because I'm not a fucking nerd.

Way Cool

The most important thing to remember here is that the man who designed the Daleks has just passed away. Raymond Cusick was instrumental in not only providing the look of one of the most iconic adversaries in science-fiction history, but was also almost certainly the reason why Doctor Who is still around today.

If there IS an afterlife, I am sure that Mr Cusick will be having words with Terry Nation about that comparatively measly ex-gratia payment he received for his work...

Kev W
    Last edited by WilsonBros; 02-24-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Typo - I was pissed when I originally posted it!
    Brendon Connelly and toodoor like this.