Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Hamill Explains Where Lucasfilm\'s Plans To Reunite The Original Star Wars Cast Are At Right Now

Administrator

Default Mark Hamill Explains Where Lucasfilm\'s Plans To Reunite The Original Star Wars Cast Are At Right Now

It's really no longer any kind of a secret that plans for Star Wars Episode VII will see Luke, Leia and Han returning, at least for a little bit. Harrison Ford was rumoured to have signed on, though we've also heard whispers that he's definitely going to wait to read the script, or at least something detailed, before he'll put pen to paper.

Also pending are Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, the latter of whom has updated Entertainment Tonight on the ongoing negotiations:
    They're talking to us. George [Lucas] wanted to know whether we'd be interested. He did say that if we didn't want to do it, they wouldn't cast another actor in our parts - they would write us out. ? I can tell you right away that we haven't signed any contracts. We're in the stage where they want us to go in and meet with Michael Arndt, who is the writer, and Kathleen Kennedy, who is going to run Lucasfilm. Both have had meetings set that were postponed -- on their end, not mine. They're more busy than I am.
    Oh, making Star Wars ain't easy. I'm glad I'm not Kathleen Kennedy, I can tell you that.

It sounds as though, so far at least, face-to-face contact has been limited to George Lucas, but further negotiations have been ongoing otherwise. E-mails to agents and the like.

The rest of the interview has some good value quotes from Hamill, like this one about where Luke Skywalker would be these days:
    I'm assuming, because I haven't talked to the writers, that these movies would be about our offspring - like my character would be sort of in the Obi-Wan range, an influential character. ? When I found out that ultimate good news/bad news joke ? the good news is there's a real attractive, hot girl in the universe; the bad news is she's your sister ? I thought, 'Well, I'm going to wind up like Sir Alec. I'm going to be a lonely old hermit living out in some kind of desert igloo with a couple of robots.'
    Alec Guinness ended up living in a desert igloo with a couple of robots? Talk about life imitating art. And so ironic, considering his reputed disdain for Lucas' movies.

Hamill's keen to see more than "the key trio" back for the sequels too, which is nice of him.
    Another thing I'd want to make sure of is are we going to have the whole gang back? Is Carrie and Harrison and Billy Dee and Tony Daniels, everybody that's around from the original [returning]? I want to make sure that everybody's on board here, rather than just one.
    And they could have a right old knees up. Except Anthony Daniels - I don't think those knees bend at all.

Every time I'm reminded that Michael Arndt is writing this film I'm very happy indeed. Roll on 2015. Or 16. Maybe 17. You can't rush The Abrams.

Thanks to The Force for the ET link.

In the gritty gangster flick Sushi Girl, out on DVD and Blu-ray now, Hamill plays against type as Crow, a wisecracking, sadistic criminal who is a bit light in the loafers
    Oh yeah, that's TOTALLY against type for Hamill.

Someone tell Entertainment Tonight what role he's spent the last twenty years playing, please.

VP in Charge of Cool

This movie has to have Billy Dee!

I think the best way to reintroduce his character would be if Lando showed up as Han and Leia's Daughter's new boyfriend.

I hope they don't go the predictable route with Luke as the loner. Maybe after a few hard years of Jedi Academy-building, Luke decided to enjoy life, got married and had a large family (which would make sense, seeing how he didn't really have much of one for all that long).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Alec Guinness ended up living in a desert igloo with a couple of robots? Talk about life imitating art. And so ironic, considering his reputed disdain for Lucas' movies.
    Are you being intentionally daft for humorous effect or is this another Die Hard 5 moment?

VP in Charge of Cool

I was wondering if any of the others would also be showing up. It was only to be assumed that Daniels would be doing voice work, but what about Billy Dee Williams and Denis Lawson? I don't think they should go too mental, but other possibilities include Caroline Blakiston and the always cloneable Temuera Morrison.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barbabravo View Post
    I was wondering if any of the others would also be showing up. It was only to be assumed that Daniels would be doing voice work, but what about Billy Dee Williams and Denis Lawson? I don't think they should go too mental, but other possibilities include Caroline Blakiston and the always cloneable Temuera Morrison.
    I have my fingers crossed for Jake Lloyd

If these guys aren't looking closely at the EU then they are complete idiots! while I don't expect them to use story points, they should at least be looking at how Zahn, Denning, and Stackpole manage to balance time between a large cast of characters and still have it interesting. The tone of the books and the way they use the supporting cast is Brilliant and way better than anything put on screen in the last 25 years.
    We needs us some Wedge in this bitch!

Captain Cool

It's weird Mark Hamil is more Joker than Luke to me now.

I'd love to see all the fanboys collective heads explode if it's revealed that Harrison, Mark and Carrie come back to play completely new characters. I'd lmao.
    "Walking bones!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alekesam View Post
    I'd love to see all the fanboys collective heads explode if it's revealed that Harrison, Mark and Carrie come back to play completely new characters. I'd lmao.
    That would be 10 times better than the codger reunion wank-fest that this is shaping up to be

Besides, we've already seen it in Indy 4. With Ford's cringe-inducing, please-don't-break-a-hip stunt work, Karen Allen's eyes-constantly-watering face lift, and John Hurt's 'is he really hypnotized by the bad guys, or is he just that old and insensate in real life'. At least the old folks in Cocoon didn't try to pass themselves off as action heroes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast