Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Brendon Connelly
  • 4 Post By toodoor
  • 1 Post By alekesam
  • 3 Post By Dave Wallace

Thread: Looks Like James Bond Is Finally Going 3D This Year, And Dr. No IMAX Re-Release Planned?

Administrator

Default Looks Like James Bond Is Finally Going 3D This Year, And Dr. No IMAX Re-Release Planned?

It looks very much like a new Taiwanese Blu-ray re-issue of the first James Bond movieDr. Noincludes a 3D up-conversion of the film. The disc has been listed in the Blu-Ray.com database, and is available to buy online.

The big twist, though, is that Moviefone have started a listing for a 3D IMAX reissue of the film in the US.

In combination, all of this seems to be pointing towards a widespread, official re-release for the film. I assume that the Taiwanese disc and IMAX reissue will be using the same up-conversion.

And then... the remaining Bond films, in sequence? That didn't quite work for Star Wars...

When I spoke to Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson ahead of the release of Skyfall, they expressed some real cynicism about shooting new films in the series in stereo and seemed pretty cool on the format overall.

On the other hand, home entertainment releases for Bond films throughout much of the world are handled by 20th Century Fox who have been very bullish on 3D-to my personal approval.

More details ofDr. No's stereo conversion are bound to come to light soon. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, the DVD and Blu-ray of Skyfall is out this week in both the UKandthe US. It's flat, but it sure ain't half bad.

TGC

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    It looks very much like a new Taiwanese Blu-ray re-issue of the first James Bond movieDr. Noincludes a 3D up-conversion of the film. The disc has been listed in the Blu-Ray.com database, and is available to buy online.

The big twist, though, is that Moviefone have started a listing for a 3D IMAX reissue of the film in the US.

In combination, all of this seems to be pointing towards a widespread, official re-release for the film. I assume that the Taiwanese disc and IMAX reissue will be using the same up-conversion.

And then... the remaining Bond films, in sequence? That didn't quite work for Star Wars...

When I spoke to Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson ahead of the release of Skyfall, they expressed some real cynicism about shooting new films in the series in stereo and seemed pretty cool on the format overall.

On the other hand, home entertainment releases for Bond films throughout much of the world are handled by 20th Century Fox who have been very bullish on 3D-to my personal approval.

More details ofDr. No's stereo conversion are bound to come to light soon. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, the DVD and Blu-ray of Skyfall is out this week in both the UKandthe US. It's flat, but it sure ain't half bad.
    Meaning you didn't care much for the new film or simply meaning it's not 3D?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    Meaning you didn't care much for the new film or simply meaning it's not 3D?
    Meaning it's not 3D.
    TGC likes this.

Admittedly I'm biased due to largely disliking 3D, but does anyone actually think that retro fitting Dr No will actually benefit it in any way?
    TGC, alekesam, Mazinger78 and 1 others like this.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    Admittedly I'm biased due to largely disliking 3D, but does anyone actually think that retro fitting Dr No will actually benefit it in any way?
    Potentially, but it's rather unlikely to pan out that way.

Cool

Hey Brendon. Just joined the forum. Long term visitor of Bleeding cool, as both a comic collector and movie fan. But I've got to say, the endless plugging of 3D here sometimes makes the movie segments an annoying read. How about more movie news? Speaking as someone who has worked in the industry for nearly 15 years, I honestly feel that 3D, along with HFR, is a gimmick that needs to go away. It's pretty much already caused the death of film, a far superior and beautiful way of capturing images. All these 3D post conversions are just a studio money grab.

I just wonder why it's necessary to re-release it in 3D. i would love to go see not just Dr No on the big screen, but a lot of older movies that I didn't get to see on the big screen the first go around and I imagine there are many others that feel the same, that it wouldn't take 3D to go see it in the theater.
    TGC likes this.
    Living my life to be like Jesse Custer but when I look in the mirror all I see is Cassidy. How I ended up with Tulip anyways, God only knows.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomesauce View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that reality has an extreme anti-DC bias......
    Bleeding Cool is causing serious harm to my self-esteem. It won't let me Like myself.

Dean of Cool University

Star wars in 3D was POSTPONED. More likely due to disney working out a deal with fox than anything. And let' s be honest, the prequels werent going to draw much anyways. Most people that want to see star wars in 3D want to see Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi.

Zen Master of Cool Death's Head's Avatar

At first I really couldn't see what 3D would bring to the magnificence of Dr. No.

Then I thought for a second...

SMITH
    Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - a comic strip so controversial you'll crap Shreddies.

Dean of Cool University

I'm more in the Christopher Nolan camp: 2D films aren't "flat", as they effectively create the illusion of depth but in a much less distracting way than the 3D gimmick. Most of the cues your brain needs to believe something is 3D are present in "flat" films, too.
    toodoor, TGC and alekesam like this.