Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expect Hamill, Fisher And Ford In Star Wars Episode VII - But As Parents? The Kids Are The Stars?

Administrator

Default Expect Hamill, Fisher And Ford In Star Wars Episode VII - But As Parents? The Kids Are The Stars?

I'm fully confident that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will all appear, to some greater or less extent, in the next episode of the Star Wars saga.

We know that George Lucas spoke to Hamill and Fisher before the Lucasfilm-Disney deal became public and Ford has apparently now signed on the dotted line to reprise the role of Solo in the next movie at least.

But Roger Friedman at Showbiz 411 seems a little perplexed at to why the Ford deal has been such big news right now, and why some people seem to be doubting it:
    I just got back and saw a story running wild about Harrison Ford playing Han Solo in the new Star Wars revival. No one seems sure about it. I was told some time ago that Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill would be reprising their roles...the three main actors are definitely coming back.
    But it's perhaps the other half of Friedman's commentary that's the most interesting:
    It?s some time in the future. Han, Princess Leia (with a presumably better hairstyle), and Luke Skywalker will be a lot older. Their children will be the new main characters... the bigger question is, which young actors will play their kids?
    Does Friedman actually have information specifically to this effect? He's been super-sharp and on the money when it comes to matters of Adele or Barbra Streisand, but they're not creatures from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I really don't think he's pulling our legs, though I do wonder what his source is.

Rumour has it that Matthew Vaughn would have cast Chloe Moretz as the movie's lead if he'd been handed the reins of Episode VII. This seems to back up Friedman's story, at least a little.

Cutting against it, perhaps, are some recent comments by Lawrence Kasdan, the Empire Stikes Backalum who's working on both the new main-saga Episodes and the spin-off films. He told The LA Times:
    I?m trying to start fresh. There are certain pleasures that we think the saga can bring to people that they?ve been missing, and we?re hoping to bring them that, and at the same time, have them feel that it?s all new.
    There are already several "extended universe" stories that feature the kids of Luke, Leia and Han. I'm not somebody who has dabbled with that stuff much but I'm aware of Jaina and Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker. I think the series has gone so far that these kids also have kids of their own.

Will these established characters actually be in the films? Well, I'm hoping that JJ Abrams, Michael Arndt and the rest of the team just wipe the board clean and start all over again. There's a shape to the first six films, for all of their failings, and I think it needs to be extended into the next three chapters in order keep the whole thing feeling organically interlinked - and that is the point, isn't it? That's what the episode numbering is for?*

There was something a bit soapy, and not quite "on tone" with the little scraps of spin-off books that I read. I'm sure that many of them are fine works in their own right, but part of their potential and appeal was in going off to uncharted areas, even twisting the genre about, away from the "romantic fantasy" of the original movies.

These sorts of feelings and associations might work very well for the upcoming spin-off movies, but for the main saga? Probably not the best idea - and I think the worst bits of Episodes I to III actually pay testament to this.

One final thought: if somebody hasn't already pinned a picture of Jennifer Lawrence onto the crazy, cop-movie looking tactics and planning corkboard in the Lucasfilm war room, then I'll eat my danish bun hair do.

*I spoke about this on the podcast a few weeks ago. I think there are some elements of Episodes I to VI that really should be carried over to VII to IX, no matter how tricky it might be to work them in.

They better be hitting the gym already.

Can't we just have Han and Luke back? Maybe at Leia's funeral? I mean this in the best way possible but, man she has NOT aged well.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    They better be hitting the gym already.
    Now we know how the Farce was won.

I bet they have C3BO walking around with a fucking Cain.

And Chewy with a Gray Asshole.

The Star Wars that was run into the ground is officially back and it's a Fucking Zombie that has died but won't stay buried.

And here i was thinking this had a chance of not being Dipshitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Now we know how the Farce was won.

I bet they have C3BO walking around with a fucking Cain.

And Chewy with a Gray Asshole.

The Star Wars that was run into the ground is officially back and it's a Fucking Zombie that has died but won't stay buried.

And here i was thinking this had a chance of not being Dipshitted.
    I. . . don't understand a single word you wrote here. Are you actually insane?

VP in Charge of Cool

Err...no Ben doesn't have kids of his own...he's still a teen...Jaina doesn't either....Jacen had a secret kid named Allana.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AnomanderRake View Post
    Err...no Ben doesn't have kids of his own...he's still a teen...Jaina doesn't either....Jacen had a secret kid named Allana.
    He must have kids at some point because Nat, Kol and Cade Skywalker are all descendants of his, right...?

Edit: Here we go. This is pretty clear - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywalk...ly#Family_tree

Exceedingly Cool

It seems one of the key questions is how much does Disney care about the Star Wars Expanded Universe? George Lucas cared a great deal. While probably a few minor bumps, all comics, books and video games are essentially canon and either approved by Lucas or through one of his chosen proxies. The Star Wars books are currently at 44 years after the end of Return of the Jedi...which so happens to work out nice for the age of the trio of actors as don't really need to age them more years to pull it off.

Those 40 years are packed with story but creative jocking would allow maintaining of continuity if desire to set it somewhere in the +25 years (Yuuzhan Vong invasion) to +40 years (2nd Galactic Civil War, events in Episodes 1-6 being the first). If shooting to start in the middle of current continuity, the 2nd Galactic Civil could provide interesting story lines but repetitive. Lets just assume Lucas has set things after current continuity. In that case events are currently +44 years after Return with the end of the Fate of the Jedi story arc that concluded last year.

Assuming that here are the state of things.
    Luke Skywalker - married Mara Jade, had son Ben (about age 16). Mara Jade killed by Jacen during 2nd civil war.
    Han Solo and Leia - Married for nearly 30 years. Had 3 children. Twins Jaina and Jacen and Anakin. Anakin died in Vong invasion. Jacen went Dark Lord, started 2nd civil war, killed by Jaina (about age 25). Also has grandchild from Jacen, Allana Solo (about age 10) who is next inline for Hape throne and powerful in the force.
    Chewbacca - Killed at start of Vong invasion
    C3-PO and R2-D2 - same as always
    Galactic Alliance - Unstable. still trying to rebuild. Briefly turned on the Jedi straining relationships and leading to deep mistrust on both sides. Planets have left alliance and joined the Imperial Remnant.
    Imperial Remnant - On outer edge of Galactic space, gaining in strength and at this point could fight the weakened Galactic Alliance to a stalemate
    Jedi - about 50% strength. Rebuilt most of their infrastructure, restarted the Jedi temples and training with Jedi Council. Luke the Grand Master. Abandoned capital city/planet Coruscant to try to rebuild the Jedi after their recent heavy loses and recognizing their continued involvement in the government is polluting the Jedi's goals and making them minions of the government rather then partners.
    Sith - a "Lost Tribe of the Sith" helped caused the instability of the Galactic Alliance government and the distrust towards the Jedi. Do not follow "The Rule of Two" that dominated the Sith since before The Old Republic (video games, etc). Their structure now mirrors Jedi, have own home planet as base and large army of force users honed by a culture built around "survival of the fittest" concept that worships the Sith way of power. Number of Sith probably greater then number of Jedi but good guys are battled hardened with deep well of experience due to essentially 40 years of hell versus the mostly controlled hostile culture of the Sith that just emerged on the galactic state after 5000 years of isolation.

- Could go on but long story short, if staying in continuity you have three kids to build stories on - Jaina, Ben, and Allana. All of them with serious traumas and experiences that would allow the story to go in many directions, give actors plenty of back story to chew on, and provide an nice range of ages and force power and skills to use from Padawan (Allana) to Jedi (Ben) to Master (Jaina). Also allows adding a nice supporting cast for each as the story dictates.
    - On top of that you have a rebuilt but hardened army of Jedi vs a emerging army of dark side Sith
    - So a stalemate at a galactic scale, all sides distrusting each other. Which is ripe for the Sith to tip the balance...

- Expanded Universe time line: Timeline of galactic history - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

Which one of those kids is going to put on the helmet and be Darth Vader the 2nd by Episode IX? I bet its going to be a girl, because that way it will be original.
    ShadowMax prefers Valiant comics. The choice of the brave.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    He must have kids at some point because Nat, Kol and Cade Skywalker are all descendants of his, right...?

Edit: Here we go. This is pretty clear - Skywalker family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The unknown number of generations is the important part. The Legacy series is set a good ninety years later than the current EU novels. If Disney uses the EU, the part of the timeline that is age appropriate for the original actors will be when Ben is a teenager; sans children.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast