Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robert Downey Jr. Takes Movie Rights To The Superb Black Mirror Episode, The Entire History Of You - UPDATED

Administrator

Default Robert Downey Jr. Takes Movie Rights To The Superb Black Mirror Episode, The Entire History Of You - UPDATED

The best Black Mirror to date is The Entire History of You, written by Peep Show's Jesse Armstrong. The story's premise was simple, but ultimately nightmarish, and it was told with just the clarity to make it cut like a knife.

If you can convince the web that you're in the UK - try a Bristol accent - you can watch the whole episode on 4OD now.

But if you can't see that, here are the basics:
    In the near future, everyone has access to a memory implant that records everything they do, see and hear - a sort of Sky Plus for the brain.

You need never forget a face again... but is that always a good thing?
    Outside of the UK, read Tivo for Sky Plus.

In the TV version, Toby Kebbell's character fears that he's seen evidence of his wife's infidelity, and by playing back memories, over and over, starts to convince himself of it. It's The Conversation meets Blow Up or Blow Out mixed with Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. It's really bloody good.

And, according to Broadcast, has proven to be quite a hot property:
    Downey Jr is understood to have fought off competition from rivals including George Clooney to acquire the rights.
    I'm sure Armstrong would be the man to expand upon his own screenplay, or at least a man. A really good director and the perfect cast could actually make great hay with this opportunity. I assume Downey Jr. would at least consider taking a role? If so, he'd be great as the third lead, I think - the man suspected of being the wife's lover.

I'm very curious to see how this one pans out but whether or not it happens at all, and whether or not it's great, we'll always have the Black Mirror original,.

I wouldn't be surprised to see tonight's episode,Be Right Back, optioned for a movie soon, either...

UPDATE: As per The Hollywood Reporter, Jesse Armstrong is writing the feature version too.

It was alright, but I thought the character work wasn't quite strong enough to justify the series of monumentally moronic decisions made by the main character as he becomes increasingly obsessed.

That being said, the last thing I would have thought we need for any of these things is a feature length US version. They work quite well at an hour long in a way that a feature-length project just won't, for pacing as much as anything else.
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    It was alright, but I thought the character work wasn't quite strong enough to justify the series of monumentally moronic decisions made by the main character as he becomes increasingly obsessed.

That being said, the last thing I would have thought we need for any of these things is a feature length US version. They work quite well at an hour long in a way that a feature-length project just won't, for pacing as much as anything else.
    I really enjoyed this. Didn't see any of the main character's decisions as particularly moronic so much as, well, driven by obsession.

Agreed that it wouldn't make much sense to do a straight adaptation of the one hour piece and expect it to stretch to two hours. I'd expect that they'll bulk up the plot considerably and/or go deeper into the characters and/or world in any eventual film.

"It was alright" was exactly what I was going to type. Now it's better then say 90% of anthology episodes. But only barely and plus that doesn't really say very much.

People pretend its not a viable medium because there are so few good examples like(Demon with a Glass Hand/as well as the other Culp Outer Limits episode/ A few twilight zones are still watchable though everyone sees the ending coming a mile away now, 12:01PM (A Richard A. Lupoff story)that was shown as a showtime 30 minute movie, Stephen Kings Gramma on the 2nd Twilight Zone series was fun, The Robert Bloch story about the old man who blew his nose off on that Tales from the Darkside was oh so enjoyable. Imprint and Carpenters Cigarette Burns from Masters of Horror being just a few of the few that are notable.

I'm just glad that it seems the moronic idea of making a Twilight Zone Movie(with just one story) seems to have changed into a actual TV series. Which is what the Twilight Zone is all about. Not some damn 2 hour movie that has some variation of the "Picked up Hitchhiker story where he tells the story of a murder on that road and when he says it happened right about "Here" and there is a noise outside the car and the driver and wife look that direction and look back, The The The Hithhiker is (Oh my Gawd) he's GONE< OhhhhHHHHhhhHHH and they turn on the radio to relax and the DJ tells the story of the man who was hitchhiking 15 years ago and had his head cut off"OH MY GOD" as they remember the hitchhiker continually fidgeting with the turtle neck around his collar.

Those stories were actually fresh at one time(I know) Hard to believe. but oh so true.
    Funny thing is the Hollywood Big Wigs keep trying to rehash them all(They made lots of money back in 19'badabing)

Any Black Mirror Season one was watchable. Not really any more then that. But that is a compliment as Sturgeons law of 90% is Bullshit is certainly correct in TV Land.
    Last edited by Maddog; 02-11-2013 at 01:57 PM.

It was certainly my favourite of the three and I'd agree with the majority here that series was good, but not great, but it was nice to see a programme doing something a bit different.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    It was certainly my favourite of the three and I'd agree with the majority here that series was good, but not great, but it was nice to see a programme doing something a bit different.
    My favourite was 15 Million Merits; I do think that all of the episodes so far have had interesting ideas, but for my money 15MM was the best-executed. It's definitely good to see a show that attempts this sort of material, and while I haven't necessarily been enormously impressed with all the episodes, I'm glad that they're trying and I'll continue watching.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Looking forward to watching last night's tonight. Watching with a mate who is also a Brooker fan, dating way back to TVGoHome!
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Zen Master of Cool

For me, The Entire History of You was the weakest Black Mirror by a mile. I loved the other two.

(looking forward to watching last nights one soon).

My favourite was 15 Million Merits; I do think that all of the episodes so far have had interesting ideas, but for my money 15MM was the best-executed. It's definitely good to see a show that attempts this sort of material, and while I haven't necessarily been enormously impressed with all the episodes, I'm glad that they're trying and I'll continue watching.
    I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any consensus about which episode is considered "best", which I quite like. My wife hated The National Anthem, but loved 15 Million Merits. My favourite was The Entire History Of You, which some friends hated, others loved and some thought was okay. And some friends thought The National Anthem was the funniest thing they'd ever seen.

But if you ask most of them which their favourite episode of Brass Eye was, for example, they'll either say Drugs or Paedogeddon. Except for me. I preferred the last episode of the original run, the one about the UK being in decline. But I never said I wasn't an awkward bastard, did I?

I thought last night's episode was another victim to the "ideas better than execution" issue, due in part to aspects of character motivation (I'm always disappointed when writers use "Because pregnant, that's why!" as a reason for a character to do something they've been established as extremely unwilling to do in normal circumstances) and in part to the fact that I've seen similar ideas explored in greater depth elsewhere. This, in part, is because I'm a keen sci-fi fan and very much enjoy the turning-ideas-around aspect of the genre - Black Mirror's resolute focus on a character-based approach is understandable, but also frustrating in that just when I think some really intriguing idea is going to get thrown onto the table, we instead veer back toward character-focus. (It doesn't help that I've mostly wanted to belt the characters round the back of the head and tell them to stop being so %$^&ing stupid....)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast