Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Peter J Poole
  • 1 Post By Gabriel
  • 2 Post By Comicsfan101
  • 1 Post By Peter J Poole

Thread: George RR Martin's Haviland Tuf To Join Game Of Thrones On HBO?

Administrator

Default George RR Martin's Haviland Tuf To Join Game Of Thrones On HBO?

HBO have signed up Game of Thrones and Wild Cards creator George RR Martin to an onoging TV development deal.

This could mean they will end up developing a superhero anthology based on Wild Cards, or a Thrones prequel derived from his Tales of Dunk and Egg.

Or we could be seeing his space trader Haviland Tuf make his way to the small screen.

Tuf Voyaging is a so-called "fix up novel," a longer work patchworked from pre-existing shorter pieces. It tells stories of interplanetary travel on board "the ark," a terraforming warship.

The book has been recently reissued, prompting to Martin to write about it on his blog. As well as promising fans that he'd like to write more Tuf tales at some point, he also addresses the possibility of it becoming a TV show:
    It has also been suggested that I make TUF into a TV series. Hey, love to. But it's not up to me. I need to find a studio and network willing to back a new space show to the tune of many millions of dollars, and that's not easy. I have pitched Tuf before, and hope to pitch him again, Real Soon Now, but honestly, he's a tough sell. Television likes its starship captains sexy, like Kirk and Captain Tightpants and Rocky Jones. Tuf is a towering, hairless, fat, pompouse fellow who talks like Alfred Hitchcock and loves pussycats. Not an easy part to cast either... but hey, every time I see Conleth Hill playing Varys [in Game of Thrones], I go "Hmmmmmmmm."
    "Real Soon Now, " he says. That would be with HBO, I'd imagine - or otherwise, I don't know what the point of their deal would be.

Well, consider this the first show of support for the idea. I'd certainly watch a good, well-made Tuf Voyaging TV series, and Conleth Hill doesn't seem like bad casting at all.

HBO really shouldn't be worried about their lead character looking so "un-TV," but if they do get tied-up over this, surely they could just "make up for it" with a pin-up ready supporting cast.

For one horrifying second there I thought you meant Tuf in Game of Thrones...

I'd love to see some other GRRM stuff on TV, though I'd still prefer he were kept shackled to his desk on a healthy diet until Song is completed...

If HBO fancy some space opera, the works of Peter F Hamilton might be a better place to start...

Cheers
    Lou, Qward-O and Comicsfan101 like this.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Dean of Cool University Gabriel's Avatar

From THR 10/28/2011:
    'Game of Thrones' Author's Superhero Anthology 'Wild Cards' Headed to Big Screen (Heat Vision Exclusive)
    Syfy Films, a joint venture between Syfy Channel and Universal, has acquired screen rights to the anthology series edited, co-created and co-written by George R.R. Martin.
    gojirast likes this.

Consultant of Cool

I suspect the HBO programmers haven't read the end of the Tuf stories - the interesting solution to the S'uthlamese overpopulation problem, and particularly the description of the Church of Life Evolving, might be a bit of a tough (no pun intended) sell in some of the US market.

Nice pic, btw - is that Phillipe Caza artwork?

Banned

There are other, better, science fiction stories to turn into an HBO series. However, they'd all be prohibitively expensive. Even the new SHIELD series on ABC is going to be extremely earth-bound and they're going to use special effects sparingly.

If were up to me, I'd develop either WARREN ELLIS PLANETARY, Warren Ellis' Ignition City, Hammer of the Gods by Michael Avon Oeming, Sixth Gun (which is already being ruined by NBC I believe), LOCKE & KEY(which has been eternally placed in purgatory by FOX - thanks FOX, ASSHOLES!), The Marquis by Guy Davis, BPRD (Mignola/Arcudi/Allie), Incognito (by Ed Brubaker), Fatale (by Ed Brubaker), Sleeper (by Ed Brubaker), Criminal (by Ed Brubaker), Manhattan Projects (by Hickman), Prophet (by Brandon Graham), Hell Yeah (by Joe Keatinge), a "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" series (PKD), etc

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    For one horrifying second there I thought you meant Tuf in Game of Thrones...

I'd love to see some other GRRM stuff on TV, though I'd still prefer he were kept shackled to his desk on a healthy diet until Song is completed...

If HBO fancy some space opera, the works of Peter F Hamilton might be a better place to start...

Cheers
    It might be small of me, but I'm waiting to pick up any of the GoT books until the series is complete. Martin is an amazing writer, but the name's Jordan and Herbert keep rattling around in my brain.
    Peter J Poole and TGC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    I'd love to see some other GRRM stuff on TV, though I'd still prefer he were kept shackled to his desk on a healthy diet until Song is completed...Cheers
    You took the words right out of my mouth. If this guy dies before finishing, i'll bring him back and put him down again! Is Winter Coming? Or what? Hell i'd settle for a chapter, a sentence, just 1 good thing to happen to those poor Starks!

Wrote the Book on Cool gojirast's Avatar

Definitely prefer Wild Cards. I was reading those books long before I ever heard about A Song of Ice and Fire. (before any of those books were written, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    It might be small of me, but I'm waiting to pick up any of the GoT books until the series is complete. Martin is an amazing writer, but the name's Jordan and Herbert keep rattling around in my brain.
    Possibly the smarter move today... I picked up the first book back in 1996 though, when it looked like a safer bet...

Cheers
    Comicsfan101 likes this.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."