Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoda Getting His Own Star Wars Spin-Off Movie, Other Established Characters Also In Line

Administrator

Default Yoda Getting His Own Star Wars Spin-Off Movie, Other Established Characters Also In Line

There are a handful of Star Wars spin-offs being discussed at Lucasfilm, we understand, and while it's proving near impossible to find out solid information on what most of them might actually be about, first word of one has broken to the surface at Aint It Cool.

Harry Knowles has written:
    Tostart with they're going to focus on established characters and do solo films, no, not necessarily Han Solo films, but well, fuck it... The first Stand Alone film is going to center upon Yoda... I'm wildly curious for more details on the YODA film - would this be a young or old YODA tale?
    I'd imagine it would take place before his retreat to Dagobah at least. What would happen there? Yoda: The Swamp Years?

I'd hope that original Yoda puppeteerFrank Oz would be involved. Heck, I'd hope that Frank Oz puppeteer for the film, at least for most of the shots, but I think we can pretty much bank on CG Yoda instead.

Knowles mentions that a Jabba the Hutt movie has been floated too. The only word we heard about a possible Yoda movie before now put the character on a list with Jabba, Boba Fett, Chewbacca and Darth Maul.

Though the particular route this rumour came to us might mean that it's only a selective list, what first struck me about it was that none of these characters have to show recognisable faces as much as masks or make-up effects, or even all-CG visages. This, I supposed, was part of the selection process - Lucasfilm would seem to be steering away from recasting any roles.

It took a number of actors to get Anakin Skywalker's story up on screen, but I do understand the logic in trying to avoid recasting popular actors. What this suggests to me is that chances for a Han Solo... er... solo movie would be pretty slim.

It's not yet clear what stage the Yoda project is at or where on the release timetable it would fit.

I would be. . . pretty surprised if any spin-offs happened.

Wrote the Book on Cool

This sounds like the sort of thing that seems like a good idea until you actually try to write a screenplay. Doing a Yoda movie is like trying to do a movie about the Ewoks, and we all know how that turned out.

Also, I think Disney is going to be busy enough trying to get the regular Star Wars movies out, so these spin-offs are probably not going to happy until the next trilogy is done, if ever. The only one I'd even be interested in is a young Han Solo movie. I don't find the concept of a two hour movie revolving around a puppet or dude in a featureless mask that exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhans View Post
    This sounds like the sort of thing that seems like a good idea until you actually try to write a screenplay. Doing a Yoda movie is like trying to do a movie about the Ewoks, and we all know how that turned out.
    Totally awesome?

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Quote Originally Posted by Superhans View Post
    This sounds like the sort of thing that seems like a good idea until you actually try to write a screenplay.
    Good it will be! Two hours of dialogue like this, annoying it could not become!

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

I wonder if Disney is trying for an Avengers model...

Mario Di Giacomo

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Totally awesome?
    I guess if you're a Wilford Brimley fan.

I think a Yoda movie would really be just a movie set hundreds of years before Episode I in which there was a conflict between the Old Republic and an enemy that's been relegated to history. Yoda would likely be the leader of a group of Jedi and/or others, but quite a bit of the focus would be on the new characters under his charge. Sorta like how Obi-Wan really kind of led Luke and Han in Episode IV, IMO--or to use the aforementioned Avengers model--Yoda would serve in the Nick Fury role perhaps, with the bulk of the action carried out by other characters.
    BELIEVE

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I would be. . . pretty surprised if any spin-offs happened.
    I'd like to introduce you to a little company that has never left a buck on the table. Its called the Walt Disney Company and they have been into making as much money off their brand and properties since the early 1930's. They've licensed an orange juice and made movies based on theme park rides. If the suits think that they can make a profit, the spin offs will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jackmurphy1969 View Post
    I'd like to introduce you to a little company that has never left a buck on the table. Its called the Walt Disney Company and they have been into making as much money off their brand and properties since the early 1930's. They've licensed an orange juice and made movies based on theme park rides. If the suits think that they can make a profit, the spin offs will happen.
    They have a lot of properties and only a certain number of movies to make every year. I don't know if it is in their best interest to take up a bunch of those slots with Star Wars movies.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast