Thread: Genuinely Creepy Trailer For Black Mirror: Be Right Back, A New Kind Of Ghost Story

Administrator

Default Genuinely Creepy Trailer For Black Mirror: Be Right Back, A New Kind Of Ghost Story

We're all leaving ghosts in the machine. I'm doing it now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld9m8Xrpko0[/youtube]

I like the look of that. Not sure Mrs. Connelly could be persuaded to brave it, though.

Maybe the link you posted is to a different trailer than the one you watched, because I didn't see anything creepy in that ad.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Banned

Has anyone tried this service with Sam Kinison yet? 'Cause that would be interesting. OOOOHHH! OOOOOHHHH!

Wrote the Book on Cool Timber-Munki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post
    Maybe the link you posted is to a different trailer than the one you watched, because I didn't see anything creepy in that ad.
    The link I saw was about an web site for people that have lost a loved one and the site grabs everything someone has posted online to create a simulation of that person for the mourner to interact, and then offers some kind of other level improved service.

The implications of such a technology as demonstrated in the trailer are disturbing. Just to be clear it is a fiction and I'm not some paranoid loon but:
    • the ability to create a simulation that can fool a loved one, the question of whether the simulation is aware, and by implication could we be simulations? or could we end up talking to simulations, and what's to stop us all creating simulations and retreating to a life of complete isolation and the distancing effect of modern communication technology.
    • The feeding of such technology to satisfy a deep emotional need.
    • What is the improved service?
    • The possibility of it been used by businesses to create a simulation of you from your online footprint that you are not aware of and using it to find out ways to sell stuff specifically targeted directly at you.
    • The idea that any technology will be used to make a profit regardless of emotional manipulation, because if such a technology were to exist, I can guarantee it wouldn't be free.
    • You break up with a partner, they're still alive, what's to stop you using the technology to create a version of them and continue the relationship?

A similar idea appeared in Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash IIRC where simulations of dead loved ones existed in a community on the net, but it was a background point and was presented in a benign fashion. And just to clarify, I don't wear a tin foil hat.

Maybe it's just Snowcrash, but I thought I heard of this concept elsewhere. Coulda sworn some other comic and maybe an anime did something with this concept too.

Oh yeah, there was a comic on a crowdfunding site that Grace Randolph interviewed the creator about.
    Elysium Online | Indiegogo