Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Tattoo Sequels Might Be Rewritten To Get Rid Of Pricey Daniel Craig

Administrator

Default Dragon Tattoo Sequels Might Be Rewritten To Get Rid Of Pricey Daniel Craig

Despite Stieg Larsson'sMillennium trilogy really revolving around the author-surrogate character ofMikael Blomkvist, rumours are afoot that Sony could have the character written out of the sequels. They want to produce these things to a particular budget and Daniel Craig's request for a raise is making that hard.

On the other hand,The Hollywood Reporter note that Steven Zaillian's script, with Blomqvist included, is considered ready to roll and Sony would be keen not to commission a rewrite. Zaillian's not cheap either, so there are money problems abutting the project on that side too. What's more, Zaillian is also now busy elsewhere, bringing Criminal Justice and James Gandolfini to HBO.

Yes, there's a lot more about Lisbeth in the second book - and presumably would be in any version of the second film - but the shape of the entire trilogy would change profoundly if Blomqvist were to be removed entirely.

Also, it might be a bit harder to get certain audiences in. I'm looking at you, Doris Barnes, 43 of Canterbury, Kent, who doesn't "normally like this sort of thing."

I'd have thought that Craig was one of the most exploitable elements Sony have here. Surely there's something else that could be cut? Maybe relocate all of that Grenada stuff to Cleveland.

Rooney Mara is presumably locked into a pretty cheap deal that she doesn't have the power to protest. Tsk. Has the patriarchy learned nothing from The Millennium Trilogy?

Still, Craig's pay packet aside,The Girl Who Played With Fire could well be David Fincher's next film if the budget can be brought down enough.

Or it could be 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... if the budget can be brought down enough.

It sounds like the adaptation of best-selling thrillerGone Girl isn't being bugged by these kind of budget fears, but does still need another draft or two. Mind you, this is Hollywood. It has to be easier to get a studio to sign off on a screenplay than it is the cheque that follows.

Dean of Cool University Stevaux The LEsser's Avatar

And why not replace Craig with a cheaper actor? Problem solved...

The Dragon Tattoo film is Fincher's worst project by far. It's not that it is a bad film by itself, rather completely pointless and unnecessary when we already have the contemporary (and better) Swedish trilogy. The american remake added absolutely nothing.

I was hoping that the disappointing box office, combined with the fact that the first film was pretty stand-alone plotwise (the next two are very closely connected), would mean they would abandon plans for the sequels. Fincher is better utilized elsewhere methinks.
    ShadowMax prefers Valiant comics. The choice of the brave.

Consultant of Cool

I feel a re-casting coming on. Which is a shame, because I liked Craig in the role. Also really hope Fincher comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Also, it might be a bit harder to get certain audiences in. I'm looking at you, Doris Barnes, 43 of Canterbury, Kent, who doesn't "normally like this sort of thing."
    Imagine then, if the film was released with the actual title of the book: "Men Who Hate Women".
    ShadowMax prefers Valiant comics. The choice of the brave.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMax View Post
    Imagine then, if the film was released with the actual title of the book: "Men Who Hate Women".
    What a terrible idea. Instead of paying a few million to this popular actor, they will totally change the story and possibly lose out on 10's or 100's of millions? How does that make sense.

That would be like Disney saying "We really liked that Avengers movie, but the actors are getting a little pricey. Let's talk about doing Avengers 2 but we write out all of the characters from the 1st one, we can produce it with some new no name actors and characters."

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMax View Post
    The Dragon Tattoo film is Fincher's worst project by far. It's not that it is a bad film by itself, rather completely pointless and unnecessary when we already have the contemporary (and better) Swedish trilogy. The american remake added absolutely nothing.

I was hoping that the disappointing box office, combined with the fact that the first film was pretty stand-alone plotwise (the next two are very closely connected), would mean they would abandon plans for the sequels. Fincher is better utilized elsewhere methinks.
    I don't agree with that. I like Mara's Lisbeth better than Rapace's. I thought she brought more depth to the character as was much closer to how she is described in the book.
    "However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum." - ThanosCopter

http://timberoo.deviantart.com/

Dear Hollywood,

"Garfield minus Garfield" was meant as a joke.

What's next? "The Hobbit" without Bilbo? "Iron Man" without Tony Stark? "Sherlock Holmes" without Dr. Watson?

Then again... "Bourne" without Jason Bourne...

気持ち悪い

I really hated the last one. Other than Rooney Mara's naked body.

Oh man, I really loved the first movie. I've been holding off on seeing the originals because I wanted Fincher's vision first. The soundtrack was also a huge part of my enjoyment that I know I would miss in the Rapace-led films.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast