Thread: Rumour: Johnny Depp Wanted For World Of Warcraft? Possibly?

Administrator

Default Rumour: Johnny Depp Wanted For World Of Warcraft? Possibly?

I won't go into too much detail about what tracking boards are and the limits of their dependability, but I will say that there's a lot of gossip in Hollywood and people do like to have somewhere to pass it about. Buzz is conducted from studio to studio and it keeps the energy levels up, the rivalries frying.

Being chatted about on boards right now, I understand, is the notion that Warner Bros. want Johnny Depp to star in Duncan Jones' Warcraft movie. There's only one publicly accessible tracking board that are mentioning this - though I'm told by regular board users that they're definitely not the only people to be bandying Depp's name about tonight.

If there's anything to this rumour we could see it start to shake out through the trades relatively quickly. I'm sure Depp's reps are on the phone to somebody about it at this very second.

What interests me about this story, beyond the very surface of the thing, is that it indicates a human male lead for the film. Probably. I mean, Depp hasn't always played a human male, but I can't really see him as one of Warcraft's other options.

One thing's for sure, the combination of Warcraft and Duncan Jones is going to set fire to a lot of fan imaginations. This isn't the last rumour we're going to hear, even if it's the only half-credible one.

Exceedingly Cool

Y'know, of all the times I've heard "__________ wants JohnnyDeppNathanFillionJosephGordonLevitt in _________", this seems the most plausible...

Consultant of Cool

A human lead in a Warcraft movie is kinda a given, really. I mean, the only characters in the Warcraft games themselves that are as major as humans are orcs (maaaaaybe the occasional night/blood/high elf). All the rest are basically their sidekicks.

the warcraft 3 human/undead storyline with arthas becoming the liche king would be nice.

I doubt they‘ll be making an original storyline. And if it is, I‘m pretty sure we‘ll be seeing undead, the tauren and the night elfs so it will certainly be post-Warcraft 3.

As for Depp, Medivh or Prince Arthas. Maybe even Illidan. Certainly not footman #32
    Last edited by zehgnomo; 01-31-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexa91 View Post
    the warcraft 3 human/undead storyline with arthas becoming the liche king would be nice.
    I had been thinking that and it would be awesome to an extent, but it requires so much backstory to get through unless you want to write yourself into a corner by completely ignoring the entire Orc storyline. Warcraft 3 has the most ambitious storyline of the series and would need to be a sequel from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by zehgnomo View Post
    I doubt they‘ll be making an original storyline. And if it is, I‘m pretty sure we‘ll be seeing undead, the tauren and the night elfs so it will certainly be post-Warcraft 3.

As for Depp, Medivh or Prince Arthas. Maybe even Illidan. Certainly not footman #32
    I wouldn't be surprised to see undead, Tauren and Night Elves glossed over entirely. The entire backbone of the Warcraft story has been Orcs Vs. Humans. MAYBE they work those races in, but it's really, really difficult to work the prototypical protagonist/antagonist setup when you have to balance so many races.

As for Depp, Medivh seems the best fit to me considering the usual eccentricity of many of Depp's recent characters.

Johnny Depp is possibly wanted for Warcraft? Honestly, what movies wouldn't want him? He's a huge box-office star.

Also, if this happens, I may have to start visiting WoW-related sites again, just to watch the Horde fandom explode because of the obvious "Horde are the bad guys" storyline that will inevitably be shown in the movie.

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krotzer View Post
    Also, if this happens, I may have to start visiting WoW-related sites again, just to watch the Horde fandom explode because of the obvious "Horde are the bad guys" storyline that will inevitably be shown in the movie.
    I've got my nerd rage rant already ready and loaded to my Google Drive.

Conversely, I'm going to laugh if Chris Metzen gets heavily involved and the entire thing just turns into 2 1/2 hours of Thrall saying "racism is wrong."

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see undead, Tauren and Night Elves glossed over entirely. The entire backbone of the Warcraft story has been Orcs Vs. Humans.
    I think War3 definitely moved it past that, though Blizzard desperately backtracked on that for WoW.