Thread: Duncan Jones Directing Warcraft Movie

Administrator

Default Duncan Jones Directing Warcraft Movie

Moon and Source Code director Duncan Jones has experience in creating cut sequences for video games, and so it may seem a natural evolution for him to adapt a game into a movie. It's safe to say he's played more than his fair share too - his Twitter feed is regularly spotted with references to gaming.

The Hollywood Reporterhave it that Jones is the newly appointed director of Legendary Picture'sWarcraft movie. Sam Raimi had been working on the film some years ago, but I doubt any of that work will continue over.

Jones will be working from a script by Charles Leavitt. There's not even a hint of what kind of storyline it will detail - and being derived from such a sprawling, open-ended game as Blizzard's epic, class-beater, I wouldn't even like to guess. It might even have sorta kinda Kung Fu Pandas in it.

Warcraft is expected to get rolling later this year, presumably bumping Jones' Ian Fleming project to the side. That much is a shame.

Warner Bros. are expected to release the film in 2015 - very possibly the same year we'll get The Avengers 2, Justice League, Ant Man and Star Wars Episode 7. That's a year with almost 1982 levels of nerdiness.

Zen Master of Cool

Would work better as a cartoon.

He will always be Zowie Bowie to me, just 'cause.

But in all seriousness, I couldn't give a single crap about WoW, but I'll give anything Jones directs a shot. It's almost certainly destined to be a VERY different project from anything he's done previously, so I'm really interested to see what he can produce working so far outside his comfort zone.

Consultant of Cool

Warcraft is expected to get rolling later this year, presumably bumping Jones' Ian Fleming project to the side. That much is a shame.
    Really?

I'm part of the whole Warcraft fandom thing and generally everybody in that assumed that it'd never happen. Even when Raimi was announced as director...

Anyways, I'm expecting it to be based on Warcraft, Orcs and Humans, unless they're going for a wholly original story in the Warcraft universe.

Exceedingly Cool

That's interesting news - I wonder which storyline they'll pick up. Duncan is a good choice: Moon was one of the best sci fi flicks of the past 10 years though Source Code was cliched and hollywoodish to the core.

Now, what about that Halo movie? (Hahaha)

Man I love Jones work to date.
    Man I don't care about WoW at all.
    Man I'm torn.
    Man I'm old.

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HED View Post
    Anyways, I'm expecting it to be based on Warcraft, Orcs and Humans, unless they're going for a wholly original story in the Warcraft universe.
    That probably works, but if they try to follow it closely (Particularly the canonical ending), it might be a bit of a downer, especially if they're not greenlit for sequels from the get go.

Honestly, I think they'd be better off going with Tides of Darkness. It has a happier ending for the human component, which would be more relateable to non-fans.

Frankly, the broad strokes of Orcs & Humans could easily be handled in a five or ten minute monologue akin to the Lord of the Rings films' handling of the War of the Last Alliance. Medivh goes insane, opens a portal to another world, brings Orcs over, Orcs and Men fight for a while, Medivh is killed, King Llane is assassinated, Stormwind is sacked. Kick off with Lothar arriving in Lordaeron and you've got your setting for the film.

Tides of War just seems like the story with the most mass appeal that requires the least background information. Other things, like Reign of Chaos, requires a ton of back story to really get.